The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I just got a new set of rocker arms. for my '14 that have the same markings as yours .

One thing I do when checking the valve lash on my 690 - because of concerns about faulty rockers -
    is to measure the clearance and then rotate the engine a few revolutions and check it again .
    If there is any difference you can be fairly sure you have an issue with the rockers .
    On the first 690 I owned - '08 690 E - that had the rocker arm failure , I could not get the same measurements
    after spinning it around a few times .

Max
    moto74 and Anders- like this.
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Lack of maintenance (valve clearance, and who knows what else has been missed?) of that bike should be of more concern than the rockers. Just my 0.2 ...
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are all three the new style rockers.
    abandoned track likes this.
  4. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Nothing more than a data point, but I also just changed out my rockers from new at 31,000km on my 2015 (purchased in Feb). Both looked to be still in good condition. Both were marked SF14. Other marks - Exhaust: U13, Intake: T12. I think it's a T anyway.

Measured old ones when removed:
    Exhaust L was 0.12 (previously 0.12)
    Exhaust R was 0.127 (previously 0.12)
    Intake L & R were both 0.102 (previously both 0.10)

New ones had the same 1st mark as yours - SF17, I didn't check the 2nd mark.
    abandoned track likes this.
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you take a lot of photos of the install and post them up. Like to see what your opinion is about install, weight, handling, and lights. Thanks.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  6. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Will do. I'm working towards having the bike 'finished' by early April ready for a 6 day tour in the South Island. Hopefully it all comes together!
    GF-kam likes this.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. What do you attribute the difference to?
    I can't think of anything off hand. But I haven't had a bike apart for a few months and it is early and my brain is still pretty foggy.
    LSGiant likes this.
  8. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Worn rollers, possibly uneven wear. That's the first thing that comes to mind...
    MAXVERT likes this.
  9. angustoyou

angustoyou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 690 Supermoto stand is perfect. KTM one, or Warp 9 do one with worldwide shipping. Come sale time you can revert to standard and sell your link and stand to another shorty.
    yoohah likes this.
  10. Crotch Rocket

Crotch Rocket "if you get off the couch, shit happens"

Oddometer:
    I’m keeping my 690 stock (we’ll see how long that lasts). Probably get the DNA air filter. Have had K and N on other bikes but I like the larger area of the DNA. I’m worried about intake noise. I had a Yamaha and the intake sounded sounded like a mallet. Don’t want to repeat that. Is the intake still quiet with the DNA? I’ll have stock exhaust. I put heat barrier around the KTM can. Hope it works.
  11. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The DNA filter drops into the stock airbox, so the sound should be just about unchanged.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  12. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeff
    How was the customs $$ on that upon entry to our great collective country ??
    Thinking about same setup - albeit the duty............................

Ta
    Gazz
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  13. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Pm'd ya the NZ specific details :)

On another note -

Chaffed wiring, have any of you guys had any issues with this? Wires rubbing on exposed screws, or zip ties etc?

I am going to be pulling apart the head / wiring anyway but has anyone had any issues with wiring under the seat or anywhere else I should be checking?

Plan is to tape up / heatshrink exposed wires at the end of cable sleeves and jam up all the connectors with dialectic grease.
    DLRuapuke likes this.
  14. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through my wiring harness a number of years ago after realizing how much vibes this bike has, and reading horror stories of electrical faults, chafed wires etc.

Anywhere it could potentially rub against the frame, zap strap points, or steering column, under battery box etc, I wrapped the harness in cut up pieces of old inner tube. 70,000 km now... no issues... yes I am knocking wood right now.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Especially under the battery tray. A known issue for quite a while now.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-and-improved-ktm690-wunderfest.722987/page-1646#post-37565766
    scot_douglas and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  16. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks heaps lads.
  17. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a way to mount a small oil storage container in the empty spot after doing the canister-ectomy? The canister itself looks to be about half a litre volume and that'd be a nice amount of oil to bring along in the deep bush.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

RRP UK bash plate with fluid storage might be an alternative, keeps the weight down as well.
  19. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    wbbnm, sprouty115 and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I guess. Based on warnings I have checked under the battery a few times (after I forgot what I saw last time.)

It certainly looks like the wires run in a slot and it seems highly unlikely that the battery would damage them.

But I have a friend who lost control of his fuel pump because a previous owner did not get the wires down in the slot correctly