The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem. Hope yours is all good.
  2. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    Interesting about the consumption increasing with synthetic oil. That's basically the usage rate I'm seeing currently with Motorex powersynt 10W50 in mine.

Still waiting to hear from dealership/KTM but I think regardless I'll be going back to mineral oil for a while...
  3. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    By two oil changes, you mean at 600 miles and at 6600 miles? Or what mileage did you switch to full syn?
  4. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    100mi on first change, 1000mi on second change, I try synth after that.
  5. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I think I'll just wait till 500 miles for my first change, then go with 2500 mile intervals after that. Seems reasonable, and there's no way I'm going anywhere near the 6000 mile intervals stated in the owners manual. No, I'm not smarter than a KTM engineer, but oil is cheap and peace of mind in priceless.
    Mainrollman and GAMMA like this.
  6. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    So I heard back from KTM/dealer. As expected, they will start with a oil change back to mineral oil. Run it for a while and if it doesn't fix it, dealer said KTM assured him they will warranty with a new top end.

Apparently KTM is aware of this issue, and changing back to mineral has resolved it before. But it sounds like they will stand behind their bike either way.
  7. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear they are going to stand behind the bike and make it work for you.
  8. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    changing back to mineral for the break in, or for the life of the bike?
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I Mean, really? [​IMG]
    DDG44 and vtowntom like this.
  10. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    Just for another attempt at break in, to try to seat the rings.
  11. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Since new, for curiosity sake by chance were you super easy on the bike or did not vary rpms much for the first 100 miles?

If either of these were true and you went right to synthetic on the first oils change, hopefully going back to mineral based oil for a while with some full on accel/decel runs will help.

What did the dealer tell you to do re-seat the rings after the change back to mineral oil?
  12. gxshrimp

Oddometer:

No, I didn't take it easy at all. Each ride let it warm up then ran it through its gears, with hard pulls to 6-6500 rpm and then engine braking thrown in quite a bit as well.

No extended freeway runs at constant rpm or anything, mostly city and sideroad ripping around, which I thought was best for breaking in.

The bikes at the dealer now but they haven't given any specific instructions. I intend to ride it like I stole it when I get it back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Dirtmonkie

Dirtmonkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous pages but Im only on page 2 of this excellent thread............

I had the same issue on my new bike. I stripped out the airbox and checked for the noise myself. The sound comes from the throttle body as the servo is driving to close the butterfly valve on the intake. If you give it a gentle push the butterfly seats and the noise cuts out.

At this point I took it to the stealership here in Doha and they had no idea what it was! I indicated it sounds like the servo and the stuck it on the machine and found no issues. They contacted KTM in Austria and they said it was normal.

I made sure they had it logged on the system that the bike with only 200kms had the noise, if it packs in later I will be chasing warranty even after the 24 months. Ive now done a 1000kms and no issues.

14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate this oil stuff, cos frankly, I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion, so... I was thinking of switching to mineral based on this and everything else I've ever heard about break in. I read about the need for Motorex because of the bearings, and don't know if its marketing BS, or gospel. Probably BS, but whatever, I'll bend over for it. Long story short, what mineral oil are they going to use? I might switch to the same if I can find it..

Cheers
  15. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    After a week of ownership, my new 2015 690 is coming along nicely.

Hand-guards and windscreen.
    [​IMG]

Flatland Skidplate.
    [​IMG]

A great deal on a wolfman rear rack, and a CJ Design fuel filler.
    [​IMG]

And a Seat Concepts seat. These are on Rocky Mountain web site. Free shipping. I also had a 10% off code for the seat, fuel filler and hand guards. Saved $55. ...And free shipping..
    [​IMG]

Wings exhaust on the way....

Smitty
    Mainrollman likes this.
  16. paulooliveira

paulooliveira Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

My 690 today has done it's first oil change (1000km) and it's now official broken in! :D

When I arrived home I noticed that the dealer's mechanic has put more oil than the max level. (it covers the glass window)

Is it dangerous for the engine? Should I try to remove it with a syringe or anything?

Tnx!
  17. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Does the 2015 690 have a "Chip key". I have already missed place my extra key. I am sure it will turn up. Local locksmith can cut one. Didn't see anything in the manual about it.

Thanks Smitty
  18. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Picked up a Wolfman tail bag today. Only thing left is my Wing's exhuast, and that should be here next week.

Smitty

[​IMG]
    GAMMA likes this.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The high freq sound with the key on is the stepper motor holding the throttle plate in place. Totally normal for ride-by-wire bikes. Don't go poking your fingers in there.
  20. THop

THop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mean the credit card sized card that comes with the bike to give you the key code to get a new one from the stealership? IF so then yup my 2014 came with that card, it was in with the rest of the delivery stuff in the KTM binder.

Thanks for the info, i will try¬Ö.. try to keep my fingers outta there. But alas like the little red button no one is supposed to push I'm gonna wanna push it just cause