The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    My go to KTM dealer was supposed to include a spare clutch slave cylinder O ring in my last order; about 3 weeks ago. I suspect he doesn't have one. But, after my buddy had 2 failures on his spanking brand new Husky 701, I decided I better move away from the stock Magura the next time it needs a rebuild. I was looking at either Oberon or the Rekluse Manual Slave Cylinder. I like what I see with he Rekluse and it comes with a rebuild kit:

https://blog.rekluse.com/the-rekluse-manual-slave-cylinder-advantage

The design of the Rekluse looks a lot more robust. Rekluse uses 2 sealing O rings and a unique spring. Maybe someone like Rekluse can solve the other problem with our 690....that being the countershaft leak.

Should be a lesson for Magura.

FYI. If you ask your KTM dealer, they should be able look at inventory across all dealers and tell you where you can order a KTM part you're looking for.
    bikerjim2000 and zoomdude57 like this.
  2. DutchyKevin

DutchyKevin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha hell no!

Just took it for a little spin. Wind protection is good up to about 110 kph. Above that I get some buffetting but nothing crazy. Does really take the pressure off of the chest which is really nice.

This might be all in my head, but i thought the front end always was slightly twitchy. That's gone now.. Perhaps those few extra pounds on the front have increased stability slightly.

Got some extra pictures for you guys.

Honestly, if you're interested in getting something like this.. I'd say go for it. In my eyes this is one of the best looking fairings without having to spend 2-3k and the quality is on point. I can only say I'm more than chuffed!

Attached Files:

3. Yille

Yille RIDE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics!!! Exactly what I was searching for, appreciate it!

I will order the kit soon
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice. I've never owned a rally fairing. I've looked at all the major players. For the price, Rade Garage is by far the best price and setup for casual adventure rider looking for wind protection and getting some navigation stuff up and forward ( IMO ). Dank je.

Are you seeing any headlight glare reflecting back through the windscreen at night with new K3?

Can you still check the coolant level with the side panels?

Thanks for pics. You must by the Hydra from the Greek Mythology ( multi headed creature ) with all those boxed up SHOEI and AGV helmets ;-)
    Swiftdriver likes this.
  5. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any consensus on the best skid plate for the money? Not looking to spend a lot, just need a little more protection. Headed to Death Valley and I really don't think the stock plate will handle the rocks there.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    abandoned track and Dudley like this.
  7. DutchyKevin

DutchyKevin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The inner edge of the screen is equipped with some black decals to stop it from glaring up. However with the high beam on, it does glare as the top is not blacked out. I'll have to stick some black stickers there as well to stop that from happening. Anyway, hard to explain.. Very easy to solve!

Not sure about the coolant though.. If I remember I will check tomorrow.

Regarding the helmets; I work at ChromeBurner, so selling them (among other bike related stuff) ensures I've got food on the table.. And more importantly, funding for the bikes:thumb
    Swiftdriver and GF-kam like this.
  8. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    not sure what "spend a lot means". that's relative. lots of people use flatland racing skid plate. i've used, adventure spec, vanasche rally skid plate, now i use rade garage skid. axp and bdcw make good products too. you search ebay for something used. there are many good options.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm converted over to the plastic ones as being The Answer. Mine is AXP but there's others.
    outbacktm likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glass transmits light like fiberoptic cable. At some point Rade Garage team should make a cheap blackout plastic housing to prevent the headlamps rays from catching the edges of the windscreen and refracting the light.

Aha ! A moto gear supplier in Netherlands. So do you ship to USA? Do you carry the Nishua helmet ( the one that looks identical to Klim Krios Pro )?

ChromeBurner website:

https://www.chromeburner.com

11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got " Shish-kebabed " last time for sticking my next out for AXP Race high density plastic skidplate. Some inmate showed up claiming he had issues with welded side seems. Thanks to me, I managed to get AXP to ship him a new one.

I like light and I don't do log hoping.
    cal08 and outbacktm like this.
  12. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i had a plastic one before, from highly regarded brand, not axp -which seems like good product. i destroyed the plastic skid plate and also broke the mounts for the foot pegs and had to replace the whole piece that supports the foot pegs and i believe one of holes into which the skid plate mounts. i returned to metal skid plate and, though i've bent plenty of metal skid plates, they all protected the bike and i can mostly bend them back. axp does seem like a good product. though plastic skid does not bend back. they just break.
  13. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Did the deer survive?
  14. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the AXP very tough, slides better than aluminum over rocks and Logs, cuts the reverberation engine noise
  15. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    :clapAXP:thumbup:thumbup
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Best coverage out there comes in the form of the tank known as the ”G-IT” bash plate, that is if you don’t mind the reflected engine noise.

[​IMG]
  17. blackSP

blackSP 46 59 59 46 46 21

Oddometer:
    Man, that thing is HUGE! I guess it adds 20 kilos to the weight of the bike, hehehe
  18. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AXP does not list the 2014 KTM 690R on their site but they do list the 2015. Does anyone know if the skid plate for the 2015 model will also fit the 2014?
  19. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the AXP from Slavens. Thanks guys for your input!
    a2zworks likes this.
  20. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that '08 to '18 are the same frame wise, big change came in '19
    Wodger63 likes this.