The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can check with Xav-AXP on page 670 on this thread. He's in AXP headquarters. You can PM him.

He posted on page 670 to an inmate with issues. The " Shish-Kebab " incident for me when I stuck my neck out.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-ktm-690-enduro-thread.1048049/page-670#post-40732780
  2. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    as i understand it, the skid plate fitting is the same from 2008 to 2020. i learned this when i shopped for 2020 690 to replace the 2014 690.
  3. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    AXP is installed on my 2008
  4. grace

Oddometer:
    actually, given that i've used the adventure spec skid plate (basically same as "g-it" bash plate), the vanasche rally skid plate and now, i run the rade garage skid, i can confidently say that the vanasche skid offers the best coverage, followed by the rade garage bash plate. both the rade garage and vanasche bash plates offer the key benefit of protecting the shift and rear brake levers. for me, this protective feature is critical. without this protection, i kept destroying rear brake levers. at $150 each for cleanspeed levers, this isn't inexpensive.

also, both vanasche and rade garage bash plates offer another benefit of storage compartments.

here's the rade garage skid plate:
    image_2020-10-20_084733.png

vanasche rally skid plate offers even more storage than the rade garage skid. it's beefier and considerably heavier. one issue with vanasche skid plate is that, when crashed hard on the rear brake lever side, the skid can strike the oil filter cover and dislodge the seal and then rub against the cover. the tolerance is just a bit too close to the oil filter cover. notice how thick the aluminum is on the vanasche bash plate.
    CC9BBDCF-DFCA-40DE-947F-A64C5BF3104E_5000x.jpg

here's the vanasche skid plate on my 690, after the skid plate struck the oil filter cover and broke the seal.
    20200620_180148.jpg

this shows what can happen with vanasche skid plate. from a hard fall, it pushed against the oil filter cover and broke the seal. tolerances are quite tight.
    20200620_180217.jpg
  5. TadRexington

TadRexington Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Rally Raid lower tank bolt (Part No: RRP 351) in my 2016 last night. Does anyone else's bolt stick out this far? There's an extra unnecessary 3/4 inch on this bolt. A little concerned it's going to catch the back of my ankle if I go down on the right side.
    IMG_8755.jpg IMG_4420.jpg
  6. grace

Oddometer:
    @TadRexington you can see how far mine sticks out in the post above with images of bash plates. it doesn't appear to stick out as far as yours.
    TadRexington likes this.
  7. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    60 MPG, wow...I'm getting around 50 MPG on my 2018. To be fair I installed a Rottweiler intake system and a Power Commander with two maps, power and economy.
    GF-kam likes this.
  8. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    I installed the Rade Garage skid plate. So far very happy. I had another after market companies skid plate installed but the harmonic noise was so loud that cars could hear me on the freeway! I sprayed pickup truck Bedliner on it, multiple coats no change. They took it back so the customer service was OK.
    grace likes this.
  9. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    I see a lack of rear master cylinder protection there, but I guess we all have different priorities when picking the bash plate with most coverage.

I don’t need extentions to save the levers, or bulky toolboxes, but I wouldn’t mind if the g-it model featured some sort of extension to save the linkage from getting scraped and blasted with gravel.
  10. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Mine is 1/2 inch
    TadRexington likes this.
  11. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably a random ask, but standing upright how tall is the tallest point on the 690 excluding the mirrors. particularly a 2020 if possible
  12. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    It's random because it depends on a whole bunch. The front brake master cylinder is the tallest point, but where that sits depends on what bars you have, if there's any riser, how compressed the suspension is...

On my bike, the top of the master cylinder is 49 1/2" from the ground. I have a Scotts damper with a sub mount, so that raises the bars a little, and that's with the suspension only compressed by it's own weight.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, I am skinny, short, and near sea level ;-) I see you're in Colorado. So, you've got less oxygen at 5,000 ft..
    outbacktm likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Mpg is most often better at elevation
    MVI and GF-kam like this.
  15. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    58155E92-4814-44DB-8DF5-DB290E33FAAB.jpeg CD3E03A9-65EA-4E4F-A37A-CFB83744BB66.jpeg
    I answered my question. Picked up my 2020 today and it fits in my promaster city no problem
  16. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So question to those who have experience with the JBI base valves.
    Coming in to Summer here and it's getting too hot to ride.
    So I need to pull my forks and get the stanchions rechromed, so as opposed to getting a revalve I thought to go with JBI base valves.
    Should I do it or save my money and get a revalve?
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    bikerjim2000 likes this.
  18. grace

Oddometer:
    the rade garage bash plate comes with rear master cylinder protection, similar to the blue one that you may notice in the photo of my 690. that blue rear master cylinder protection is an inexpensive ($13) option that i purchased from alieexpress.

as one who beats the snot out of the 690, more than many, and has destroyed a couple of skid plates, protection for the linkage, though a nice idea, seems unnecessary.
  19. jams229

jams229 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really is, couldn’t believe it. Just rolls right in.