The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having a rekluse or “feathering” in 1st or 2nd essentially accomplishes the same thing. When in the rough with my 16/45 on the 690 I can keep speed up in 1st and feather the clutch in the “puckery” stuff. I had a rekluse on my XR650R and I could just leave it in 2nd all day long in the rough. I am getting older so I do try and avoid the hairy stuff these days.
  2. Enduro93

Enduro93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly my thinking. I feel like first is too short off road and especially around town. I'm going to put one on order and report back after my ride next week
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  3. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do so because the 690 is a heck of a lot easier to do it with than my 1090. I think I'm going to reserve the 1090 for touring and easy off road. The 690 is more suited for the BDRs I want to do and I can handle it thru the difficult stuff more like I can with my 300.

Riding one of these 690s like a dirtbike, for me, consists of being more comfortable with committing to being aggressive in certain types of terrain when required. The 1*90 bikes, now those are Porkers in the kind of terrain I'm talking about. I've been in situations with the 1090 that riding it aggressively like a dirtbike is the only reason I made it out. Those situations showed me real quick that I'm not up to that kind of riding on the big bike.
    mokibear, Takataka, zonth and 4 others like this.
  4. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to have a serious talk with your wife to add a 500 EXC to the stable, we don't want you getting hurt out there, do we now!
    cal08, NoelJ and wbbnm like this.
  5. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wife doesn't care, as I don't have one. And getting hurt on a motorcycle is something I'm no stranger to. I'm more concerned about getting a bike into something I can't get it out of because it's too big to be as aggressive with it as I need to be, riding it like a dirtbike. I'm still discovering how aggressive I can be with the 690. It being 200 lbs lighter, so far, has been a game changer.
  6. ShutterRev

ShutterRev Former pavement princess turned wannabe ADV rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sup guys and gals...

This is my dirty bird, 2018 690 Enduro R. I have most of the PerunMoto stuff on it for the 690, great products, the SeatConcepts seat is also awesome.... Loving the 690.
    178701525_10159610514124119_4540824683449478077_n.jpg
    cal08, Eresia, mtbdemon and 2 others like this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon you'll be riding like this ;-)
    [​IMG]
  8. ShutterRev

Oddometer:
    My first 'dirt' on 2 wheels, before the 690, was two heavy BMW F800GS's... an F800GS and F800GSA (even heavier). Awesome trustworthy low maintenance never has an issue kinda bikes, seriously quality bikes, but heavy and large. I rode a lot of off-road on them, Rallies, in total close to 60,000 miles on the BMW's, loved it, and found my love for off-road riding on them.

About two years ago a friend asked to store her 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R in my garage, and I obliged, as long as I could take it out sometime. Well I took it out, and man..... Like you said, game changer. Opportunity came up to buy it from my friend, I took it immediately. Fast forward to now, and spending so much time on the skinny mini little 690 has improved my off-road riding so much, and if I'm being honest it's just so much more fun off road, also the 690 is no slouch at all at ripping the paved twisties.

fe02e6d88ae6dad0a95c4d9a9c32fa78.jpg
    outbacktm, Force0321 and a2zworks like this.
  9. Crotch Rocket

Crotch Rocket "if you get off the couch, shit happens"

Oddometer:
    They included some “starting with” clicks when I got mine. Still haven’t put it to a rugged test but it’s coming soon. My California pothole search test gives it 2 thumps up!
    ShutterRev likes this.
  10. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    First ride on trails for my new to me 690. Two thing, perhaps a little too high geared for semi tight single track (this is subjective) I need to set my fork compression a bit softer for the rocks, and is it me, but I just added a Wings muffler and it really seems to be smoother now. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking
    I would like to smooth out the videos a bit…..I really like the bike tho.
    ShutterRev and JoeMongo like this.
  11. ShutterRev

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the 690!

I have not done pipe yet on my 18' but want to, Wings looks like the way to go. The gearing is subjective, true, I see in your sig you have 'real' skinny bikes to compare it to, my perspective coming from a 500+ lb adv as my only previous 'dirt bike' I'm finding it hard to fault anything with the 690 with regards to off-road handling haha, it's just so good comparatively. For my suspension, I busted out the manual and dialed everything back to OEM, removed the kubalink, repositioned the TC on the forks to stock height, and have been making a click here and there as I go along to find what works for me so nice to be able to adjust the suspension manually, the 'electronic adjustment' on my gsa (sold) only really seemed to affect the preload on the rear shock, the front forks were sealed units, no adjustability.

What I'm finding is so awesome with the 690 (+ seat concepts seat) is, It has the gearing to have you howling down the backroads having a blast all the way to the trail, smash trails, and howl all the way back and enjoy both sides of things fully. I know some change sprocket sizes to get the gearing down a bit, but I think I would miss the roadworthiness the bike has with the stock gearing, again from the former fatadv bike, and crotch rocket pavement princess previous to that perspective.
    mtbdemon likes this.
  12. ShutterRev

Oddometer:
    I think I found a heat shield that just might work out for the stock 690 pipe (even the <19 models like mine)... I recently forgot to rig up my crappy little diy heat plate before mounting bags and going for a rip, so my rackless gear now has a nice speed hole on the exhaust side. I am faced with needing to get the Wings, or a heat shield solution, but I just can't do the Wings right now... And then I found this:

213481453_527716361709224_8288617091226473754_n.jpg

NOTE: I used an angle grinder to cut off more than an inch at the end of the pipe, as the shield is designed for the newer flat-ended pipes on the 701's, etc... Then put the soft wheel on and softened out the edge where it was cut so there is no cutting friction on the gear. Once it's cut at the slight angle seen in the photo, it will mount just fine, and should provide enough standoff to keep the gear from touching the lightsaber stock exhaust. I'll be able to report more after I get a long hot day with the bags on under the belt, but wanted to share as this seems like a good low cost solution for folks not ready to pipe yet.

The part can be found here for $34.88:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-exhaust-heat-shield-p
    ventgeo, cal08 and rsteiger like this.
  13. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another Safari tank question. So if I have all the petcocks open, the fuel levels in both tanks equalize right? So that means when the low fuel light pops on, I actually have bingo range x2, right? So have about a gallon left in the stock tank AND about a gallon left in the Safari tank?
  14. dmann

dmann Carpe DM Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Good People,
    Can anyone please point me to a good place/site to buy updated rocker arms for my 2015 690? At almost 14K and about to set off on a long ride, I probably shouldn't push my luck. Thanks!

P.S. I found some on sale on eBay that are labeled for a 690 Duke, but the parts numbers match. Are they the same for the Duke and the Enduro R?
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get all my OEM stuff from Rocky Mountain
    Force0321, sharpie1, dmann and 3 others like this.
  16. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I do not have a safari tank on mine ( I have the Rallye Raid tanks), you are correct about the extended reserve. The light comes on but you have a long ways to go before you run out. My Aux tanks add 2.5 gallons to the bike and I have gone over 260mi and not run out
    docwyte likes this.
  17. zonth

zonth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE
    Flasher relay was the culprit
    Stephen, wbbnm and Anders- like this.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

That'll be one beer :lol3
    outbacktm likes this.
  19. zonth

zonth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i thought there may have been a 690 clairvoyant on here that suggested the relay. Cheers. I had read up on it but was over my skill in testing a closed electrical unit
    Anders- likes this.
  20. dmann

dmann Carpe DM Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!