The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just completed the Tat on the 690. 5500 miles and had 1 flat tire in Colorado. The bike was great and perfect for the trip.

20210714_120811.jpg
  2. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    How many of you have replaced multiple fuel pumps on your 690?

I just installed my second, bike has 9900 miles.

Purchased the bike with 4400ish miles, first ride around town and the bike sputters when pulling up to a stop sign, refuses to restart. Replaced the fuel pump assembly and fuel pressure regulator with the Quantum units from Rottweiler. Bike ran great for the next 5500 miles (<1 year).

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, riding on some backroads around home, bike starts hesitating while cruising then just dies. Crank but no start. Exact same symptoms.

I reached out to Rottweiler, they assure me this is not normal and forward my info on to Quantum for a warranty claim. They send a new fuel pump assembly. I toss it in, bike fires right up. I pulled the piece with the regulator out to inspect it but did not mess with it this time, only parts changed was the fuel pump assembly.

I'm about at my wits end with this bike. I love it but can't trust it. Both times the tank was completely clean inside. Both times the pump still "worked", i could pull the line to the injector, turn the key and it would pump fuel for the few seconds although with essentially no pressure.

What am i doing wrong here? i've owned quite a few motos and vehicles in general. I've never replaced a fuel pump but on this bike. Friend i ride with fuels up his 790 at the same places i do, etc. Is a fuel pump going to have to be a 5k maintenance interval on this thing??
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Profil (Australia) pre-pump filter
    Quantum pump
    Best Dual Sport post filter pump

Is my road map.

That and I add Lucas ever fill up.
    Lubricates and cleans.

https://amzn.to/3hY9tqE

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-690-fuel-pump-solution-the-full-story.1197772/
    GF-kam and (none) like this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you haven't put it all back together yet, you might replace the regulator. Having two fail at relatively low miles sounds like more than bad luck, and the regulator is one of the few things that might be bad.

I bought a quantum pump kit with a regulator. I am going to do a preventive maintenance pump swap this winter. I have ~28k on my 2013 model. But I wasn't going to replace the regulator mainly because I couldn't find any info on how to do it after a cursory search.

I guess if you measure ~ 50psi at the quick disconnect, the regulator is doing its job.
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are saying "assembly" so I assume you are changing the in tank filter. Do you have the small "trumpet" filter at either the disconnect or the injector? I am not sure what you should get for pressure with pump pushing to an open line. Burt I don't think you'll get full (50+ psi). Possible your pumps weren't bad. But why did new assembly fix it? At some point it might be worth checking injector--possibly backflush it. I replaced filters at 5k miles and pumps at 10 on mine. Never had a failure. I used the Quantums too. Read up on fuel pressure testing. Really the only way to be sure you know what you have. Good luck.
  6. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 26000 mi on my 2014. Never replaced the pump or filter. I do carry a spare. My wife’s 690 has 20k mi on it and we had to replace the filter attached to the pump and the inline filter just after it. We fill Fuel from the same pumps and I do the same maintenance on both bikes.
    2 failures in less than 10k is not normal.
    (none) likes this.
  7. zooomer

zooomer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 20,000 on my 2013. I've replaced filters. No issue with pump yet.
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My riding companions told me, "quit foolin' around with luggage and tires, and put a decent headlight on that thing cuz sooner or later it's gonna get dark," so I ordered the nice setup from MotoMinded. The chip shortages backed up Baja Designs that backed up MotoMinded so after a wait I get a box. I've always liked this outfit, IIRC Chris Vestal helped Neduro build that first rally bike way back in, uh.. a long time ago. I'm even more impressed now.

The box. The box was clearly cut down from another box. The bubble wrap was on at least its second or third trip. Good. I hate waste. It's plug and play, so off comes the headlight assembly and out comes the factory headlight itself.

[​IMG]

In goes the MM/BD unit:

[​IMG]

My goodness, that's tidy:

[​IMG]

Looks like there will be a lot more room in the nacelle now. Nice:

[​IMG]

Yep, there is. Plenty of room for the digital flasher and ACC leads:

[​IMG]

Ready to plug:

[​IMG]

And ready to play:

[​IMG]

But is it brighter?

[​IMG]

All buttoned up, ready for the coming darkness. I like that topo map finish.

[​IMG]

I could have cleaned that windscreen.
    Nah.

I'm a very happy person right now.
  9. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

What about the beam pattern? Is there a nice sharp cutoff to avoid blinding traffic?
  10. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No doubt. Looks sharp! I am very happy with my BD set up as well. It's definitely a would recommend mod.
    outbacktm likes this.
  11. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:

Nice to hear not everyone is having problems with their fuel pump. We hear a lot about what are probably just a few failures relatively. I think this was the first positive feedback I’ve read.
    zooomer and renogeorge like this.
  12. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    17K on mine no fuel pump issues.
    STRich likes this.
  13. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Yep, "assembly" is the pump with its screen in the plastic case, lines attached up to the quick disconnects with the inline fuel filter.

The first time i replaced the pump, i replaced the regulator with a Quantum unit. I tested the original (OEM) one with air pressure and it tested fine.

I did hook up the quantum pump i removed and put it in a bucket of water. Seems to operate perfectly fine. No leaking from the case or line. Seems to have good pressure but i didn't have means of measuring it.

When i pulled everything apart, all was perfectly clean inside. Strainer at the bottom of the pump was pristine. I don't get it. I do have the little filter at the disconnect. Pulled it out, clean. Bike still wouldn't start without it installed.

Bike fires right up now after only replacing the pump assembly. Planning a small ride saturday, will see how she does.
  14. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beam pattern appears to be a blast. Doesn't seem to be a sharp cutoff. Won't be a problem in the daytime here in Texas. Reckon I'll need to keep the low beams pointed down at night. I do have an amber rock guard for the S2 that will dim it a little. I got that mostly so my riding buddies can id me easily in their mirrors. As if they're ever ahead of me.

I don't ride at night much--too many deer and hogs around here. I got this for conspicuity and for the times the sun goes down on me out in the hinterland. Nobody to blind out there.

If the light annoys folks, I'll get some kind of dimmer, PWM or something. Downside of sharp cutoff--as in a fog light--is that signs don't get illuminated. I had a rig that used a Hella fog light for low beam, and it was great most of the time, it was a problem on dark highways. DOT low beams have a wedge-shape area up and to the right just for that reason. I don't know what the beam pattern is in EU.
  15. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    I don’t know? Maybe a loose clamp or kinked line that got worse over time and was fixed with the second replacement
    (none) and outbacktm like this.
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I chased fuel pumps on my m 07 990 for awhile. Bike would just stop running, swap in a fuel pump and it would run again, I'd keep the old pump and it would still work fine later. I never did figure out wtf was going on, my theory is that I somehow needed to "burp" the fuel system, that I had air in a line and it would cavitate the pump and starve it.
  17. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO been doing a little research on extending the range of my 690 without a monster expense and changing a crap load and rade garage tank looks interesting. My one concern is how long would the special air filters be made? How available are they? Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Thanks!
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  18. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    There have been a lot of guys using the Rade tank posting on here and in the Wunderfest thread. I ran one for years and think they are a great setup.
    mtbdemon likes this.
  19. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Rade setup for a few hundred miles. I like it. I initially was hoping to get 250 miles out of the setup, but it looks like I'm going to get more.

If you go that route, get some more heat reflective material to cover more of the tank than what's provided in the kit.

Rade sends along 2 of the air filters in the kit. If you want to stock up, just in case, here's the part#
    https://www.twinair.com/application..._id=&type_id=&year=&shop=ROW&sort_by=sku_desc
    mtbdemon likes this.
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was wondering what part that rade air filter crosses over to. So small, would like to buy a funnelweb to get a little more surface area.