The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    okay, good enough for me. I think I will buy one
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have run our setup for close to 9000 miles now. No issue with the filters, although the square frame does interfere with the bracket behind it. One tip that I saw on Advrider was using Pool filter socks over the foam filter. We are on a 9 month 10000mi + trip and it has been great not to have to swap / clean the foam filter. I soaked 12 of them (for 2 bikes) in Air-filter oil and stored them in a ziplock bag in my tool bag. We are riding 90 % dirt and change them as needed. The foam filter has been clean for the entire trip so far.
    cal08 and JoeMongo like this.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an FWF 469. Not imported by anyone that I can find. I'd bet Slavens would order a box of them if you let them know there's interest.
    jesusgatos likes this.
  4. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Well, that may be. The 2019 to 2021 version is a TwinAir filter with a TwinAir part number and can be bought direct from them. Maybe that a new thing from 2019 on.
    j.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWF 469 is the Funnelweb version that replaces the TwinAir.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems unlikely for bikes like the 690 where the pump sits at the bottom of the gas tank and fuel gets sucked into the pump directly thru a screen. I don't think there is any line except the inlet to the pump. But maybe if the exit lines gradually moved to a kinked situation, it would cause the problem. I have no idea if this can happen. Sounds unlikely, but so is the persistent problem.

I guess a bad kink in the reinstallation would show up quickly with no gas flowing.
  7. August West

August West Wharf Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an airflow question. Mounting Wolfman tank panniers on RR Evo 2 tanks, the panniers cover 90% of the “hole” in the tank/fairing. I’m guessing the “hole” is to facilitate airflow through the radiator. My question is: Do you think the tank panniers will block airflow to a significant degree?
    Thanks in advance,
    A. W.

upload_2021-7-25_10-12-53.jpeg
  8. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, would not run those bags in that position in hot weather.
    August West and caribooster like this.
  9. caribooster

caribooster Not enough time...

Oddometer:
    I agree on moving the position of the bag, if you are climbing a long uphill grade in 1st & 2nd gear on a hot day you will see your temperature rise quickly and it will not cool off.
    August West likes this.
  10. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on my limited knowledge of these bike and how warm they run, I would do everything I could increase airflow!
    August West likes this.
  11. August West

August West Wharf Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I did a short shake down. 10 miles in first and second, gentle grade. Only 85 out this morning. Temps were what I would normally expect. Not a real test. I’ll probably err on the side of caution which pretty much rules out the tank bags. That’s really the only place they fit. I like the extra space but not at the expense of overheating.
  12. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could probably rig something to space them out toward rear and keep them in that location.
    August West likes this.
  13. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't run them there. Even with Redline Water Wetter and the 190F fan switch I'd like to see the bike run cooler. I can report that the 190F fan switch and water wetter make the bike run a 1-2 bars cooler, so it was worthwhile doing
    August West likes this.
  14. 2stroked

2stroked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the storage box setup, the only issue I found was the way the cage is installed it doesn’t seem properly because the metal is on the air box not the foam, I ended up cutting the edges off so the foam would seal. I do like the setup and it seems to have more pep as well
  15. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    “storage box setup” i am not familiar with that term in regards to this. Same tank setup or other??
  16. 2stroked

2stroked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did over a 1000kms in dusty conditions on one filter because I forgot my spare
  17. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use GL pannier pockets up front. No air vent blocking.
    August West and outbacktm like this.
  18. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you make the conversion to the Rade Garage Airfilter setup, you can either do the fuel tank or a storage box in the space that is freed up by the removal of the OEM air box.
    mtbdemon likes this.
  19. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks!!
  20. stumps

stumps Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    General service info report - 40000 km self service checks on my '17 690.
    Shim clearances essentially no change from 30000 km and all still in spec. Original shims still, was expecting to change.
    Rocker arms still look as new. I'd replace on any sort of wear issue, but cannot fault either with any sort of shaft or needle roller radial/axial wear beyond OEM...finger pad wear et al. For the doomsdayers, I am gunna roll the dice. :D
    Replaced intank Mahle fuel filter (as per every 10k km) but essentially no dP across filter compared to a new filter..always some black graphite discoloration type crap. Pump is still original. (though carry a spare on trips).
    Pump pressure test - running 51 PSI downstream of filter and regulator.
    Oil screens clean and nothing really on magnet sump plug. I run Penrite 15w-50 PAO since near new. Way smoother on clutch feel than the Motorex stuff IMHO. Oil lasts 5000km without topup.
    Air filter replaced with new Unifilter 690 design and associated pre filter inserts.

This bike has been incredibly reliable. Failed items have been 1 headlight globe and 1 battery in just on 4 years. Next report at 50k km.:photog
    TakSD, Cyclenaut, Wodger63 and 9 others like this.