The KTM LC4 Reliability research thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by demononthebrakes, May 25, 2006.

1. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Bike: 640/E : 625 SMC
    2. Year: 00 : 05
    3. Bought used or new: U : U
    4. Current mileage: 235 : 3k
    5. Modifications done: None : Corbin seat, CF bits
    6. Mechanical work done: Cleaned it : Oil changes
    7. Upgrades done: None : 950 SMC Mirrors
    8. Current tires on the bike: OEM : OEM (Pirellis)
    9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: TBD : 75/25
    10. Would you buy another one?: No ( I can't wear these two out)
    11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): Neither require engine work at this time
    12. Pic of the bike if available:

Attached Files:

2. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SMC:

Attached Files:

3. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Bought used in Feb with 530km from new (old guy with a shed-full of bikes).

Now has 6800km on it. Some oil seals were hard and weeped a bit (t/stat hsng, sight glass), then just started leaking from base gasket (apparently common to my eng no., but wasn't fixed under recall - poop).

Mods: headlight and spotlight that WORK, drilled twin muffler endcaps, drilled BST40 slide and 170main, no SAS or emissions, 150/70R17 Pirelli rear, 120/90R17 Mitas E-08 front, 17/38 sprkts, gel seat, gear rack.

Howzit go?: 1/4 mile 13.52secs @ 96mph
    21km/L economy (averaged over 2500km trip, steady 125kph)
    top speed over 170kph (speedo showed 179kph) loaded
    Goes around corners telepathically (but betr with 120/70 fr)

You can replicate these figures with just about any 600-ish thumper, just some need susp work, some need motor tweaks, some need lights, but they all end up doing the job. Iwent to the dealer for a DR650, but for the same price got this (Brembo's, WP, 17's).

If a bike doesn't move you, don't buy it. If you need a rational list to make up your mind, just buy the damn Beemer and be done with it man:smile6
  4. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    Gunner, what did you do to your valves at the above intervals? Are you talking setting the clearance or a valve job with seals and re-grind?

Mine is making some hellatious noise up there. Got to pull it apart this weekend and see what's up. I've been through an intake roller once about 10k ago. She has 32,000 miles to date. I'm thinking it's time to freshen her up a bit. Maybe top end or the whole shooting match. Anyone know of any threads or links to such rebuild? Any idea of cost???:ear:ear
  5. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    1. Bike: 640 adv r
    2. Year: 00
    3. Bought used or new: U with 9k miles
    4. Current mileage: 21000 miles
    5. Modifications done: Suspension, FCR, renazco
    6. Mechanical work done: Oil changes, instruments. Threads for fuel pump mount stripped - helicoil, oil drain - helicoil. Busted gas tank had to be replaced
    7. Upgrades done: exhaust, lights
    8. Current tires on the bike: 2 sets of wheels
    9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: 50/50
    10. Would you buy another one?: Well, may be not because 950/690 getting affordable now.
    11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): Yes
    12. Pic of the bike if available

So far valves needed adjustment only ones after I got the bike. I check them every 2-3k and I didn't find any changes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    At the 40,000 km mark I required 2 new intake valves and 2 new exhaust guides + 4 stem seals... I had the machine shop regrind the seats to spec....

At the 80,000 KM mark I required 2 intake valves + guides, 2 exhaust valves + guides + 4 stem seals.... The shop again did a regrind to restore seats... The kicker on this second valve job was after I reassembled everything I found my head was cracked under the valve seat and had to replace it with a used head and pay for another regrind....

Cost wise the first valve service including parts cost me about $350 and the second if you only count one regrind was closer to $500 because more parts were required...
  7. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got seals through my local yamaha dealer for this bike. KTM seals and they were like $70 for the seals and dust seals. I will look around and see if I can find the KTM part #.

Oh! by the way, all that the KTM dealer could locate for me was PRO-X seals they couldn't find KTM seals. It pays to know a shop owner who has family members that deal with KTM.

I know my seals came from Cyclehut out of North Dakota. look them up on the web and talk to them they know their stuff.
  8. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  9. katumo_jtb

katumo_jtb bogus journeyer

Oddometer:
    If you're having trouble finding 40mm fork seals, I've had good luck with the ones on ebay (the listing is KTM 40mm WP fork seal set B). Mine have lasted all summer with a bit of dirt riding, though I have kept them very clean by using shock socks. For $24, considering how easy it is to change seals, I don't think you can go wrong with these.

John
  10. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Bump....and while I am at it would anyone care to chime in about alternatives to the 10W 60 Motorex that the stealership keeps raping me on. Sure would like to finds something more economical.
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Oil choice is kinda like religion & politics around here :lol3

...but my 640 has a few miles on it now (50K) with only that pesky inlet cam follower bearing wearing out (like quite a few others) & I've never used 10-60, I used 10-50 Motorex on & off for a while but it got too expensive. Now I just use a reasonable quality semi synth motorcycle specific 10-50 or 15-50, I think I used Rock Oil sumthin for the last change. I don't do a lot of riding in hot as hell conditions though so YMMV.

Cheers
    Clint
  12. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    I'm only at 21K trouble free kms (only 10 of those are mine), and I have been running Motorex, but I am now juiced up with the highly recommended Rotella T.

Google search.
  13. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Rotella T.....Considering it! I am replacing a clutch this weekend and I am wondering if the previous owner oil selection affected the life of my clutch. Thanks for the input. My intent is to not hijack a cool thread in the name of oil, I would welcome any PM ed suggestions.

Thanks

14. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    50,000mi or km??
  15. clintnz

Oddometer:
    50 000 miles / 80 000 km :D

Cheers
    Clint
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There is a very good oil thread, near the top of Post #1, in the LC4 index. See link below.
  17. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    Ah, very nice to hear. I also have had that pesky intake roller issue x 2. What other preventive measures do you look after. I'm @ 34,000mi now and am in the planing stages of a rebuild.
  18. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Have a look at my updated entry on the first page of this thread mate :wink:

Cheers
    Clint
  19. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
  20. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    1. Bike: 640 Adventure
    2. Year: 2007
    3. Bought used or new: Used
    4. Current mileage: 21,600 km, 13,500 miles
    5. Modifications done: Bunch of stuff done by the previous owner. Milled riser with under-bar Scotts, bar end weights, SW Motech side stand, Akrapovic slip-on, Pivot Pegz, open airbox. Me, I put the Pastrana FMX bars on (a must for tall folks IMO), build the roadbook holder/ GPS mount, Renazco seat. A couple of friends built the crashbars. Three sets for our three bikes.
    6. Mechanical work done: Leaky countershaft seal, welded broken rear subframe. Other than that, it has been awesome!
    7. Upgrades done: See 'mods'.
    8. Current tires on the bike: Dunlop 606 front, Michelin Desert 2 days ago, had been running 606's f&r. I like 606's, but wanted to try something different.
    9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: 30/70. Nothing too technical. Mostly faster gravel.
    10. Would you buy another one?: It's amazing, no doubt, but I think I'd like to try a 950 ADV or SE
    11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): n/a
    12. Pic of the bike if available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]