The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone stole the k-start lever!
    alvincullumyork and Anatoli like this.
  2. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't run disc guards.
    I use the Hyde Racing pipe guard/skid plate combo.
    No, it does not pack up with mud.
    I use the BPD Swingarm guard and radiator guards.

[​IMG]
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pipe guard anymore as it causes more damage. The pipe is the crumple zone

Rear shark fin is zip ty racing
    Bitingdog and Dan950ser like this.
  4. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I wont run a pipe guard for now either then.

Ordered the bulletproof designs goodies though except the tps protector. They are local to me luckily too.
    Dan950ser and Nowwhat like this.
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a p3 pipe guard and think it's well worth it. 30 hrs in I'd be on my 3rd pipe if not for it. No damage save some scratches carbon. The eline guard is probably a bit better quality.
  6. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    P3 pipe guard on my TE300i. Embarrassing stupid drop off my loading ramp and it cracked the exhaust flange. (WITH a flange guard installed!!!)
    250 bucks. Pipe was fine at least :rofl
  7. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you run an aluminum "snakeskin" pipe protector or a carbon fiber pipe protector that attaches to the pipe it will certainly do more damage than if you didn't have one one at all. (for a big hit).
    Any of the combo pipe protectors and skid plates (like Hyde) don't cause that problem (in my experience).

Also, you should run a head pipe protector.
    https://slavensracing.com/shop/exhaust-flange-guard-for-ktm-husqvarna/

Here's what happened to my 2011 KTM XCW 300 when I used one of those snakeskin pipe protectors -
    (I had replaced the stock pipe after I took a big hit to a stump and dented it in without the pipe protector.)
    I ended up sending them both out to be repaired, the stocker was fixed and fit almost like new, the one that had the protector on it was still fucked after it had been fixed.
    The guy at the pipe shop called me and told me that he might not be able to fix it so it would fit.
    I ended up using a 2x4 and a ratchet strap to get the fucker to fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    Installed the ktm exhaust flange protector today. I tried installing the coolant reservoir but it looks like the whole exhaust flange has to come off for it to slide up in the frame
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd ditch the coolant resevoir, put a fan on it if you haven't already and forget about the cooling system. If it boils over or spits out any coolant at that point something is wrong, no need for a catch tank on these bikes.
    Bitingdog and adv_sacrifice like this.
  10. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    Already have the fan on it actually.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    So does coolant enter the catch tank? I know of about 5 or 6 300s all with fan's that ride slow difficult trails and none of them have boiled over, ever as far as I know, mine never has. Add to that our normal riding is 5K'-11K' where cooling is more difficult in the thinner air. If you're pushing coolant into the catch tank with a fan installed something isn't working correctly.
    Foiler and BISHOP like this.
  12. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    I havent even ridden the bike, ha. Just was installing a few parts and i had bought that as preventive measure. Figured the fan would do the most help though but the reservoir was just going to be backup.
    12461.jpeg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Remember that coolant expands as it is heated. It is normal to lose a little the first time you reach higher coolant temps if the rad was totally topped off. The level shouldn’t be below the top of the fins when you check it cold.
    Dan950ser likes this.
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    You knew that I had to comment on this. :rofl

No fan of fans here. Never had one and rode with five 300s Saturday and nobody has ever run one either. The other guys almost all ride desert and even though it is hot, the bike are moving.
    These bikes are electric start torque monsters. Ride accordingly and turn them off at every stop!

C1FFE038-62A7-4EE8-9AE5-0373A7CF4F0B.jpeg
    Bitingdog, Anatoli, timeOday and 2 others like this.
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give you $5 to stand under that arch and jab it with a stick
    Foiler, Gordy, Mountainhound and 3 others like this.
  16. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily.
    When the rad reservoir is properly filled to top, coolant will automatically flow into and out of the coolant reservoir as the coolant heats up and cools down for maximum efficiency just like in cars and trucks.
  17. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for another dollar!
    Foiler, Gordy and nzrian like this.
  18. backpain

backpain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cheated last week. I kissed a girl and liked it. I tasted her blue chapstick. She also had a spider tatoo.

She’s shy:
    B21094EC-CF5C-4C45-8FC7-0124A3457240.jpeg
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  19. backpain

backpain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I have to go back to a smaller rear and red hair to like the old girl again (there was too much shifting in my case with 13/52 and I don't know why I took out the red spring).

Not saying that if I find a local used counterbalanced TPI 300 (of which mine has neither of the younger traits), I wouldn't take her to the cosmetic surgeon for upgrades (swap my suspension into it and try to be happy again).

. . , but then I would want to swap the fork axle mounts (new model axle diameter) so I could swap front wheels more easily, and then the unspoken autoclutch decision (which, I suppose is akin to permanent birth control) . . . . ;)

The old lady still looks good next to her old friends. Don't know why she’s wearing those ugly glasses (apparently left the mirrors up all day - no single track)

16F83045-E462-4A9B-9D5A-B2BAD72287FC.jpeg
    bikerjim2000 likes this.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice pic Rusty.
    Regarding a fan, not all of us are expert trials riders so our passing through something technical isn't necessisarily as smooth or quick as you and likely the bikes will run warmer than yours. The other thing is with a high compression head the bike runs hotter then with the stock head effectively reducing the "safe zone" between the operating temp and the boil over point. I don't leave the bike idling for any length of time but I also don't necessisarily shut it down every time the wheels stop turning, turning off the motor isn't a cure all for preventing a boilover. With a fan I don't worry about it ether way. Unless your climbing hills the fan really isn't needed in the desert and if you are climbing hills it can get hot enough to smell the CF of the pipe guard so it can easily reach 240 near the top of a run, with the right fan that info is there to see. Personally with a 2 stroke I prefer it to run cooler and the fan most definately does that. Your yardstick is that it isn't boiling over, a boil over occurs around 240~260 degrees, my fan comes on at 190 works to try and keep it there. If you've ever seen the data from back to back dyno runs on a 2 stroke, the hotter the motor gets the more the HP falls off, it's not huge but it happens and usally why they won't do more than 2 pulls in a row. @ $150 ia fan is money well spent not to expierence cooling problems which can easily run $400-$600 bucks if the headgasket decides to let go the next ride which isn't unheard of after getting the engine hot enough to puke it's coolant.