The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I’m mostly just messin with you. I’m fairly certain that a fan can help but my belief in conspiracy theories is un-stoppable. :lol2
    Why doesn’t KTM sell the bikes with one? They have to be concerned about all these bikes out there melting down, right?
    I think that a fan restricts air flow more than it creates at most speeds. Mostly slow crawling speeds could obviously use something more than “moving along”.

I’m going to put some heat indicator tape around mine to get some real world high temps. If it’s hot, I’ll try one. See???? I’m willing to listen and (maybe) change!
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  2. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new 300 TPI fan comes on maybe once a ride if that... I average 14 mph on a good day...
    Gordy likes this.
  3. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just put one on to prevent overheating. i was riding my yz450f in the woods and it would boil over with my skill/terrain. i put a fan on and didnt have the issue again (along with some other non-cooling related bike changes/added skill). so it works for me. just being proactive in keeping the bike happy since its my first 2 stroke/woods bike
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am shocked how little the fan comes on.....2020 300tpi xc....
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    A 450 4T is a different animal and needs one to survive any ride.

Ahhh.....retroone stays moving, like maybe one stop all day! :rofl
    retroone, adv_sacrifice and Nowwhat like this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Do you use a lower pressure cap with the catch bottle? If not anytime there's coolant transfer into the catch tank you've subjected the system to the max pressure the factory deems safe. Catching the coolant is definately a benifit but I would prefer not reach point that exceeds the pressure relief which is basically the boil over temp. I may be wrong but I thought the catch system uses the OEM rad cap.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I don't think KTM pritoitizes a fan over weight on the 2T, look what happened to the subframes. These days it's all about how light they can make it and of course they expect you to rebuild pretty frequently. Also like you said there's plenty of riders that don't use one, especially guys racing. If you put tape on, place it on the bottom edge of the radiator, that will give you comparable values, placing it on the cyl will be a bit higher. You ride well enough where I doubt it would be an issue.
  8. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the same reasons why they don't sell them with spark arrestors or radiator guards or aluminum hand guards or....
    Bitingdog likes this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    That's funny, I've never ran radiator guards either and haven't got around to aluminum hand guards on the new bike either. Not sure if I will, I kinda like not having them up there. My friend messed up his wrist pretty bad when he got it caught in one so I'm deliberating the pros and cons right now. My old bush whacking bike wil keep em though.

Btw, none of the armour things mentioned could cause an engine to overheat so that's not a valid argument. If these bikes were overheating riding like they are meant to be ridden, KTM would be forced to sell them with fans, much like they do with most of their 4Ts.

I suspect that quite a few overheating issues are 1) jetting related and 2) clutch abuse. :dunno

I also think that a fan on a 2T is not a bad idea but not necessarily a good one either. :scratch

Remember, it's Ready to Race, not Ready to Idle! :rofl
  10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their stuff is beautiful and also effective in my experience. However I went with cheaper (DeVol) guards on my 300 because they have an additional backplate (behind the radiator) to protect against folding and which I hope will make them stronger. The bulletproof guard on my 500 bowed out a bit when I dropped it on its side on a rock and the guard took the brunt. I am not complaining, given the choice at equal cost I would probably still choose them, but I am not sure the extra cost of milling the whole guard from a block results in additional strength.

Now that I think about it, mounting a radiator fan with the Devol guards is going to be difficult because they cover the back of the radiator too.
  11. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will a "standard" sealed chain such as a DID VX2 fit on the '19+ bikes? The stock chain is narrower than typical so that its dimensions are close to a non-sealed (old-style) chain.

Ian
  12. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but my experience with the non-VT2 chains is excessive masterlink clip & pin wear.
    IanInCalgary likes this.
  13. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I've never overheated my 300 when riding desert and flowing trails in 100°F+ heat.
    On the other hand, I have boiled over in tight and technical slow terrain, muddy hillclimbs, and situations where plenty of crawling & clutch slipping is necessary; even at below 32°F.

I don't have a fan, but I need one sometimes photo0.jpeg 20190322_153321.jpg
  14. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OEM rad cap is perfectly fine although I prefer the Tusk 2.0 thermo cap. I have successfully used the Tusk rad cap on two previous KTM's and my current Beta.
  15. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Just buy a 2020 tpi.... they run cooler...... think of all the money you will save on a fan....
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Does Slavens have an ECU tuner/fan bundle for that bike? :lol2
    alvincullumyork and Bitingdog like this.
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Oct 15th hahaha
  18. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    What do you need a tuner for? I did put a fan on mine but I ride a lot of slow technical ST that goes from 1500-6500 feet during the prime trial riding of the year. In winter it’s low land riding or snow biking so the fan could be taken off but I’m to lazy to do that.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another fan question: Does Trail Tech’s “universal” kit work on a bike that doesn’t have a battery? Can it run off a 9v or something?
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the bike in question have a DC electrical system?