The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I went and did this today. Ive been wanting to get a linkage bike but the high cost of new bikes and my lack of trust of people I don't know selling used, i somehow located a leftover 2018 300xc for a good good price.
    Nice thing is most of the stuff on my xcw will go right over.
    Im excited to ride this but need to do a few things before it hits the trail.
    Then once this bike is setup, I'm going to have to sell my xcw to recoup the cost of the new bike. It pains me to do it since it's totally setup but if I want to stay married, it's gotta go.
    Doesn't look like my damper will transfer over but most other stuff will it seems.

Looking forward to the build and riding the xc. 20190927_170813.jpg 20190927_170826.jpg 20190927_171143.jpg
  2. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh geez I just bought my '18xc used a few months ago and I don't want to find out what your good good price was!

Love the bike though. So fun. Looking forward to tomorrow's ride.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  3. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep it and put a 500 kit in it.
  4. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure but it has lights that run off the engine. It’s a 2006 xcw.
  5. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to sell it and stay happily married!
    Im waiting on a bunch of parts so today I put my flexxbars on.
    I just realized that the rear axle is bigger on xc.

20190928_144544.jpg 20190928_144605.jpg
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  6. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finished prepping my 2018 300xcw for sale. Well 99%. I want to get new white side plastics. The ones I have on the bike now graphics on it and I'l probably be putting it on my xc.
    I decided to put handguards on the xcw since I had them on the shelf. so whoever buys the bike will need nothing.
    So now I started the XC bike build. But first I need to tear down and set the carb up, grease the linkage, swingarm, kick stand, rear brake, steering head and swap wheels and nitros.
    I started with the carb and checked the float height. it was only 6mm from the factory which isn't even close to the proper height. I set it to 9mm.
    The stock block gasket was still good but I replaced it with the JD one because the stock one will fail. I also replaced the oring in the needle seat which was loose and not a tight fit.
    I added v force reeds from the xcw as well. The bullet proof rad guards swapped over but not the rear disk guard since the axles are 25mm for xc and 20mm for xcw.
    I also found out that the stock bars on the xc are a lower bend than the xcw.
    I realized that when I put my flexxbars on and the bars were higher. I then compared the two stock bars and saw the difference. It was about 3/4" - 1".
    For parts, I'm waiting on a fan kit, ee skid plate and extender, bullet proof swingarm guard, bullet proof rear disk guard, ktm swingarm protectors and a heavier rear spring.
    The two very short rides ive taken on the xc is very promising. Can't wait till it's all done!! 20190929_143640.jpg 20190929_143729.jpg 20190929_143817.jpg 20190929_170412.jpg 20190929_202736.jpg 20190929_191842.jpg 20190929_193124.jpg 20190929_202752.jpg 20190929_202742.jpg 20190929_202802.jpg
  7. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    The Klone Peak Katwalk is just ahead. It is a long ways down. Photo at about 6300’. This was white knuckle riding for a few guys. We dropped 5000’ feet down to the Entiat River then climbed right back up to the high ridgetop on the North and Middle Tommy Trails. Probably 120 switchbacks between the two of them. Epic stuff.

A6B5FA89-5A61-4843-ADBD-04E965A45EA7.jpeg

Alex discovered that the SX jug and head on his 250 Husaberg was not the hot setup in these conditions. But he was still faster than most of us. The water in these lakes is crystal clear: you can easily see big trout.

64299859-2F85-4C60-8836-2759CDE42C99.jpeg

Robert is in love with his 2020 TE 300i. Who wouldn’t be..

ED03DBFA-052A-4A7F-BD54-6D02A386C776.jpeg

Everyone was in love with their muffler. The White Goat, my 2019 TE 300i, refused to start each morning. Towing it a mile or 2 finally got it running. It worked flawlessly all last winter. Any ideas? She ran great all day once running. Of course I checked all the prime suspects.

8F8245F0-D3CB-4A81-8B17-C451FE3FEC9F.jpeg

This historic shelter on the Two Little Lakes trail was still partially standing last time I was here.

3254B25C-4E65-4BCF-A72E-F806E276C903.jpeg While @kjclark7 has been basking in the sun getting to know his beautiful new bike we have been celebrating the end of summer here in the Mad River area of the Central Cascades in Washington State. We rode 3 days/ 143 miles of the best High Country trails I know in freshly falling snow. Camped at 2000’ and rode to almost 7000’ at Klone Peak. This is my favorite kind of riding and our two guests who flew in from Florida for the trip were totally blown away. They are skilled riders and adapted very quickly.
    Edit: I forgot to mention the Giant Moose encounter. My first time in Washington. I think Hunter got it on video, he was leading.
  8. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kick-ass field report!
  9. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Wish you were here bro!
  10. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I did a thing. Bulls and bikes in one night! I signed up for the 30+ class for enduro cross and for the bucket list bull riding. I didn't do so hot on the bull but I managed to grab 5th out of 11 on the bike. I was even in second for a split second.

This was my first endurocross and I wasn't really sure what to expect. Just before practice it poured rain and turned the track into a slick, cold, muddy mess. My first practice was pretty horrendous. I only managed to grab two laps, crashed or stalled on almost every obstacle, and was one of if not the slowest one on the course. My second practice out was pretty much the same except I managed to smack my knee on a rock just behind my knee guard. My heat race was even worse. Gate pick was luck of the draw and I got a decent gate but managed to be one of the last ones to get through the first obstacle, didn't jump anything, crashed pretty good in the rocks breaking my the tip off my rear brake lever, and pulled last place.

I re-grouped in the stands with my family and watched some bull riding and some of the other classes do their main race. They called my class down to staging and I told myself it was time to get aggressive, staying on the ground was not going to be an option and the harder you hit shit the smoother it gets, including other riders. I got called last to the gates and lined up on the far side. The thirty second flag came up and I put my eyes on the bar, the bike revved up in 2nd gear. When the bar dropped I got a decent start and started pushing to the inside. I banged bars with my buddy and pushed my way to a clear line going through the first obstacle, the wood pit. I skated right through and grabbed 4th place.

The back side of the track was a triple followed an easy double. No one but the pros and one expert was sending the triple and turing it into a double was not worth it so I rolled it and pinned second into the double and landed almost perfectly. A couple of smaller jumps followed and then I was at the rock garden. I still didn't have any idea where I wanted to be but the three guys in front of me had almost everything plugged up so I just took what was left. My heavier handed throttle plan worked well and I grabbed second place.

The guy who I had just passed for 2nd came out of the rock garden right behind me and I led him over a log and then he took second back after the first two whoops. I stayed conservative through the whoops but gave the log matrix more gas than I had for the night and got through pretty smooth. I rode up the wall ride then lined up the finish line jump. It looks like a pretty simple table top but the top is is just logs running the length if you land on them it would have messed you up pretty good. I held 2nd for all I could and popped up into the air. It was a good clean take off but I still scared the shit out of myself and let out a very loud, "OH SHIT!!!!" in the air. I landed smooth as I am probably capable of and kept going.

My next 4 laps went pretty much the same. I crushed the log pit, the rock garden, and the log matrix. I came up half a bike short on the back double a couple of times but my last time over it I hit the sweet spot. I crossed the finish line totally pumped out, breathing hard, and stacked on adreline. I chirped the reeds pretty hard and tried my best to roost the shit out of the beer garden! I rode most of the race in 3rd place and thought I ended in 4th but the final results showed me in 5th place. I'm not super happy with 5th but I beat some riders who are better than me and there were a couple of pros mixing it up with us so I'll take it this year.

I made it back to the stands to steal a kiss from my lady and some high fives from the kiddos and then had to run back down to chutes. In between races they had pro bull riders going for 8 on some nasty bulls, I mean mamouth, scary ass, 2 ton murder machines. They let 5 schmos sign up for bucket list bull riding and I was the only one to race and ride and I did it in my moto gear, unfortunately we didn't get the 2 ton, scary ass, murder machines, we got roping steers and doe eyed sweet hearts! I picked the meanest one I could get, he had horns, and stole a glove and rope from a cowboy. I got 5 tips in five seconds from Wyatt on how to stay on and not die and then loaded up on Black Satan. The gate swung wide and Satan took off. My dirt bike instincts took over and I went for the unconventional two handed grip but it was over before it started and I tucked and rolled!

DSC_9029.jpg

received_433155067306365.jpeg

DSC_9033.jpg

received_469621707098294.jpeg
  11. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moar pics here than the fest? :nono
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  12. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, awesome write up, and, uh, you're freaking NUTZ.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, you just renewed your Texan card for... about 100 years I'd say...
  14. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the best post I’ve ever seen on the inter web. Awesome job bro! :thumb
  15. SHEP_5

SHEP_5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Western NY, somewhere between Buffalo & Rochester
    whats the price? whats with linkage that you wanted over the PDS on the xcw?
  16. Oldbear

Oldbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, time for an update. With the new style cover and a size 13.5 Sidi Crossfire boot a hole appears somewhere around 165 hours. That's either progress or regress, depending on your point of view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog, VxZeroKnots, Lutz and 5 others like this.
  17. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's awesome!
    Bitingdog, VxZeroKnots and Lutz like this.
  18. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

We'd best let KTM know so they can fix it.
    And by "fix" I mean adding "Replace Clutch Cover" to the service schedule for "Every 20 operating hours."
    Bitingdog, Lutz and alvincullumyork like this.
  19. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:

Polisport offers a cheap plastic clutch cover. Would you be willing to run one and get me some numbers?
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unacceptable. Nothing but a $299 clutch-cover-cover milled from a solid block of titanium is good enough to protect my $62 OEM clutch cover.