The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $7900 and I think the linkage will be better and more stable at higher speeds.
  2. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 236 hours on my 2018 300xcw with the polisport clutch cover and it worked perfect. I'd recommend that for your next bike. Here's a pic before the bike went to its new home.
    Oh and I wear a size 15 sidi or 14 sg10 20190930_091340.jpg
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  3. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 11hrs on my '19 XC I already like it more than the XCW. To me it feels more planted everywhere. My club put on an Enduro this past weekend at October Mt in MA - AKA Rocktober Mt. I did part of the arrrowing/pre ride on Saturday and the bike handled everything I could throw at it. I made a few suspension changes mid ride thanks to the help of some of the more knowledgeable guys I was riding with and it made a big different. We went over blowdowns and some serious rocky technical climbs and the bike was awesome. Never even notived the linkage hanging up or anything like that.

I also did 2 days of riding in Michigan. In the higher speed sand whoops i was able to just cruise along in 4th gear at times. Being a woods guy that's fast for me.

Gotta say though - I did notice the close ratio transmission. My shift points were not the same when riding the same terrain as the XCW. I got used to it pretty quickly though.
    Anatoli, alvincullumyork and kjclark7 like this.
  5. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second this. Nice job!
    PlowHand and alvincullumyork like this.
  6. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was preentered for this event but didn't have a bike to run in it. I didn't want to use my xcw because I was selling it and I didn't want to use the xc due to it not having any protection.
    My buddy ran it and placed 2nd in his class. He said it was tough but good.
    Here's a clip of a tough section.
    I agree about the trans, I think the close ratio will be better than the wide ratio.
    Have you done anything with your suspension?

7. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I remember that bike. I manned two check points. A Gas Gas tends to stand out in a sea of orange and white, lol. Congrats to him!!!!
    Yep that's the section I pre rode and helped arrow - about the last 27 miles of the course. The section right at the beginning was a stream bed that was dried up. However the rocks were cover in the most slick ass moss you could imagine. As soon as you put a foot down you slid right off.
    Also, as usual, the camera does that hill climb no justice. It was steep and ridiculously rocky. There were 3 or 4 more nasty climbs after that and a section of downhill grass single track that had about a 12" rut down the middle. Throw in the logs across the trail from the loggers and it was wicked.
    Oh yea, that section was in the 2nd half of the race about 40+ miles in!!
  8. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty bummed I missed that but my injured ankle would not have been up for the task and my wife surely would have DNF'd. Next year maybe!
    Scottyluc likes this.
  9. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    As for the suspension, I set the sag and just played with the clickers. My forks are at 117lbs right now. I need to add air to them. Everything I've read is that the forks needs a good 10hrs of break in before they start to react to fine tuning.
    I ended up backing out the fork comp/reb way out as well as the high speed and reb on the shock. At 195lbs my sag is still a tick soft. But since most of our riding is like that stuff in the video I may leave it as is for now.
  10. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I saw your post on the NETRA forum. I was looking for your rig. It was a pretty tough course. We had 70 riders and I think only around 45 finished without houring out. I worked the 2nd to last check and some of the faces coming into the last 1/2 mile were interesting to say the least. Some smiles, some exhausted relief and some just outright confused lol!
    N8 and kjclark7 like this.
  11. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And mudslinger is next week which is supposed to be a lot harder than this race.
    Boianovich likes this.
  12. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Berkshire trail riders don't mess around. It's alot of the same type of terrain just a few miles south. It's being billed as the closet thing to a hard enduro in the north east.
    kjclark7 likes this.
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    wfv56 and alvincullumyork like this.
  14. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed KP (my wife, not so much), but NETRA does not do themselves any favors turnout-wise. No camping at the event the night before? Never heard of that shiz! Down here in ECEA land you show up Saturday and pre-game. Then race Sunday. I am confident I would thoroughly enjoy the NETRA series between the courses, the timekeeping, & the minimal breaks. Unfortunately for me, for that, my wife and I both race and that doesn't work for her. And what don't work for her, don't work for me. We would have given Rocktoberfast the ole college try, but my ankle was in question and we are in a new RV at the moment. Too many strikes against us.
  15. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the ecea events let you come Friday and others stay Sunday night after the race
  16. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Anatoli and kjclark7 like this.
  17. Oldbear

Oldbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should consider that for science but the clutch covers are still too cheap.
    Eldon likes this.
  18. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    A section of some fun trails. This section was used during a recent Graham Jarvis clinic, though I'm 100% certain he cleaned the section without any dramas. Unlike most of us in this group. Another section of trail had me loop out the xcw and bust the rear fender. So paying some dues to improve. I do enjoy the hard endure stuff but after dipping my toes into scrambles this year I want to keep going doing a bit of both. Mmm I wonder if that means I need another bike :lol3
    MattF44, billll and Bitingdog like this.
  19. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Always fun to see what terrain others are riding. Stony Creek looks really difficult. And 2 bikes is really the minimum number.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    The trails there are a lot of single track with rocks and roots to cross along with a lot of side hills leading down into ravines with hard climbs out. The hard section in the vid is "the Waterfall". It really is a series of step ups but is pretty rough. Another ravine we ran up had a good down hill onto a log bridge that was a bit beat so you had to slow roll over it and immediately get on the gas to make the climb on the other side an run a small chute between some big rocks and an old water pipe that is pointing at you like a spear as you come up. I tried to go left and not run the chute and ended up looping out. We ran 16 km in 2hrs are a relatively steady pace. There are over 80 km of trails in there will numerous challenges. I hope to get back there just before Thanksgiving in put in a longer ride.