The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a tm designs skid on my 13 350 and I had flat spots on my frame rails.
    I think that the tm was thicker than this plastic EE piece. I ride in rocky places and have a fair share of trees that I go over. Guess a proper guard can't hurt.
    Anyone know how the obie compares to the EE in thickness/ hardness/ durability.
    Any recommendations for a link guard that won't break the bank?

Edit: I found this STR one
    Looks good.

Bitingdog likes this.
  2. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been running the EE like you installed on both bikes all season and they did not self destruct. Both the skid and the linkage look great.
    kjclark7 likes this.
  3. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks bud. Good luck in the race today.
  4. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2018 300xc is all setup and I was able to get out and stretch its legs this weekend. At first I didn't think the suspension was anything special but as it warmed up, it felt better and better. But there was something going on and feeling weird with the bottom half of the stroke. So I upped the psi and opened the clickers and that seemed to help out. I think I made a really good decision to try out and go with linkage. I feel it tracks better, sticks to the ground and feels better at speed.
    This xc really handles better than my xcw. It begs you to push the pace while still giving a controlled feeling.
    Im still going to experiment with clickers and air pressure but we'll see how the fork changes as it gets more hours on it. I hear it takes almost 10 hours to break it. Well im just about maxed completely out on the fork clickers so I have no where to go except in.
    I first tried 118-120 psi with the clickers in the 20-25 range for both comp and reb. That felt good on the small stuff but hitting stuff harder and faster, it had a wallowly feeling. Then I bumped the psi up to 125 and opened both clickers out to 35. This felt better to me going faster and hitting stuff harder. I still had 3 inches of unused travel at the end of the ride but didn't hit and jumps or ledges in the ride.
    The shock I put in a 5.2 kg/mm spring and set the sag to 105mm. Clickers I was 2 out on hs comp, 22 on ls comp and 18 on reb.

As far as the carb goes, I had plenty of practice with the xcw so that thing is running spot on. Changing the block gasket, o ring and setting the float is all that's needed to get the mikuni running like a keihin.

First ride 18 300xc

5. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    F49DDB58-B110-49E0-BF08-2B364E8B836C.jpeg B3BC6035-F00F-47BB-AE5C-426E6398DA21.jpeg E81B0945-A113-454A-8806-314083CBEF78.jpeg E3237DD3-4979-41D0-B93E-E6F186566C46.jpeg After days of rain the skies are clear and the mountain is a giant slippery playground. Bring your low pressure sticky tire and your A game.
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, they are awesome bikes. On the suspension setup I'd suggest starting out with the specs in the manual, I found those to work pretty well. Also if you are heavy enough to need the 5.2kg rear spring you need a lot more pressure in the forks. For reference mine feels dialed, I'm 180lbs, 4.6kg (45nm) rear spring, 146psi in the forks (cold on a bike stand) and more or less stock on the clickers +- a few clicks depending on conditions. Too little air is like too light of a spring rate. It'll sag down and be harsh.
  7. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and ive been thinking about that over the last few days.
    I found in the book a listing of rider weight and air pressure and made a quick chart since the book has kg and bars.
    Based upon the chart (kg / bar on top and lbs / psi on bottom), I should be running 150-153 psi. If I had conventional forks with springs that's what I would do at least. So I'l give higher psi a go. But the thing is, there are so many guys running super low psi with their setups (non revalved and revalved forks).
    Ive also heard that the air fork works different than a conventional spring and that it ramps up at the bottom. So if that's true, maybe going 2 or 3 "rates " lower with your psi will help soften it but still keep you up in the stroke.
    Guess I'l be experimenting wherever I ride next.
    Oh, how much are you guys noticing that the pressure is raising after setting your cold pressure and then riding?

Besides 1lunger, what are others running with their aer (stock or revalved) and what are your thoughts on the fork?
    20191008_103024.jpg
    BikePilot likes this.
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I rode my last ride at 137# and was pretty happy. 2018 XC, I'm probably at 210# with all of my gear and crap and ride desert with lots of deep whoops.
    I need to tie a zip-tie around the tube and see how much travel I am actually using. They say to ride it how you normally do and use the zip tie to try and hit a target of leaving about 2" of travel. This will keep it up in the stroke and keep it from riding harsh and also a give you a margin of error for big g-outs.

I ran mine too low when I first got the bike and have since went back up and am much happier. Be sure to bleed the forks too.
  9. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool chart. I also started at lower pressure b/c that's what a bunch of folks in my group were doing. I didn't like it and then tried the specs in the manual, and found it was a lot better. Now almost my whole group are running 145-150psi. I found that it got a bit smoother going from 130 to upper 146ish and a lot more controlled. I think with too little pressure it tends to ride a bit low and get into the really stiff part of the spring rate where it ramps up. It's smoother if you keep it near the top before it ramps up. I also tend to stuff the front end into stuff hard so I needed the additional bottoming resistance and control as well.

I haven't done a lot of testing to see how much pressure rises during a ride. I did attach the pump once mid-ride and found it about 8psi higher than I thought I'd set it. I figured I'd just stick to setting pressure cold and adjust based on how it feels in a ride and that should be pretty consistent and repeatable.

The shock on the other hand gets raging hot and fades a bit. I find to not get super sloppy in a hard ride I have to set it up with damping that's too stiff until it gets hot. Eventually I think I'll try a bladder setup to see if that runs cooler.
  10. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. +1 on the fork bleeding. With my flexxbars, it's a pia to get the #20 torx head in there so im thinking of getting some STR speed bleeders. But I do bleed before every ride and always after I transport the bike.
    I won't be able to ride for another week but when I do, I'm going to bump up my pressure to the 140 range I think. The bike only has 2.5 hours on it so the forks still need to break in. Im sure that will be on the stiff side. Especially now that I was at 125psi and had the clickers full soft.
    Im riding rocks in tighter terrain so I need softer than you desert guys.
    As far as the shock goes, it seems that most get the bladder conversion so that will be coming.
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I run the STR bleeders, they are great. I generally give them a push just before a ride and whenever I am stopped during a ride.

I'm riding rocky single track in Colorado FWIW.
    kjclark7 likes this.
  12. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I'd love to ride out there. My buddy goes each year to tayler park but my schedule hasn't worked out with his. I'l have the str ordered up before my next ride.
  13. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fixed the chart to make it easier to read 20191010_163501.jpg
  14. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a code for STR?
  15. Motocox

Motocox We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer:
    Took my '20 300xc to Hatfield/McCoy for the first time. The forks now have about 10 hours on them and are starting to feel pretty good, running 125psi. Man, IMG_20191004_161205538_HDR.jpg 5182.jpeg IMG_20191005_135653946.jpg runs good, but doesn't seem to have as much grunt right off idle as my 15 300xc has. My brother now has my '15 and he is loving it. Buddy John bought a new 300tx and it was his first ride on it. Coming from a klx450, he had a difficult time on the much lighter and responsive Husky. And it was super dusty! Not a single mud puddle the entire weekend, totally dry.
  16. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contacted STR and spoke with the owner about his products and he gave me 10% off. I should have the link guard, speed bleeders and high speed compression adjuster this week.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Testing the tubliss strength 20191013_125506_031-01.jpeg
    PlowHand, nzrian, Lutz and 2 others like this.
  18. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And testing your rear rim strength!
    Bitingdog and Nowwhat like this.
  19. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    That’s a cool pic! :thumb
    Nowwhat likes this.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great desert weekend

20191013_125506_024-01.jpeg

Depending on your perspective. You can see my 300 at the top 20191012_142627.jpg

Meanwhile at the bottom...a 4 stroke doing 2 stroke stuff 20191012_141038.jpg

My 17 300 felt like it had more punch too. It's a smoothness thing I think as the 2020 climbed everything easier than the 17. Pulls all the way up 20191012_124255_079-01.jpeg