The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Set it up as described in the manual and service it regularly. Don’t worry about trying to modify it. It’s way better than you are at this point and messing with it will not make a meaningful improvement in your speed and may well make things worse. Spend your time and money making the pilot better and you’ll have better results and way more fun.

2. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good advise. The "all the guys are doing it" thing makes me wonder what I'm missing out on, but that's kind of confirming the feeling I had in my gut.
    BikePilot and Bitingdog like this.
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Slavens (and others) made small fortunes making this era of KTMs suspension liveable. Just sayin.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suspension is the best money spent on a bike imo

Forget fast..... good suspension can and will save your butt...
  5. NCwolf

NCwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, is it really that bad? I don't mind having it revalved, etc. Ideally I wouldn't have to but I spent a ton making the CRF plush enough for woods work and now it's about perfect.
  6. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I have an 05' that handles great. I've ridden a newer (12'-13'?) 300 and couldn't feel any improvements. But of course, I'm used to my bike.

I paid $2500 for it about 6 years ago. It had a Rekluse, FMF exhaust, fancy pegs, hubs, etc. It also had a high compression piston which gives it a noticeable power gain over my buddy's 12'. Needed to have the suspension rebuilt about a year after I got it which cost $600, which included new springs.

It runs great & usually fires up on the 1st or 2nd kick. A button would be nice, but it's not usually an issue to kick.
    NCwolf likes this.
  7. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    1F6057F7-EC65-4520-BA50-3B320DCECF61.jpeg This man and his 2020 TE 300i made the first successful ascent of the Jarvis Route yesterday at Walker Valley, an accomplishment I thought not possible. Well done!
    BikePilot, Bitingdog, thejrod and 2 others like this.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought this youtube video where they have a shootout between a 2004 vs 2019 300XC was fun.
    Caveat, the older one does have some upgrades.
    Basically, yeah it's fun to have a newer one, but nothing like the difference between riding vs not riding.

9. NCwolf

NCwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool video. Was just having this conversation the other day with some riding buddies. Basically the new bikes are indeed amazing, but the gap between a 2019 and, say, something from late 90s/early 2000s is nothing like something from the late 90s to the late 80s. Bikes improved so rapidly between the 70s and late 90s. And they are still improving but it's not a huge jump like it used to be. My 03 450R is still very much relevant in all aspects as compared to the new bikes.
    Bitingdog and Boianovich like this.
  10. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would pass and wait for something 2008 or newer. That's a lot of money for 13 year old bike.
    Bitingdog, Gordy and NCwolf like this.
  11. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about 08 to 16 is all the starter bits from 16 can be bolted on to the 08. The 16 was the best iteration of the design but still wasn't great.

This.

My buddy has a cherry CR250R. I hate riding it. It turns on a dime but it doesn't have the power of the 300, it vibrates violently, it only feels lighter when turning and even then not much, while it's not a light switch power band it's not far off and it's a hunder.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I would ride it for a while and like bike pilot said play with the clickers but after a couple of months I would send it in. Suspension is the best money you can spend on a bike. Go to a local guy and it should only take about 600 to do the front and rear. If you aren't racing you really don't need the top dollar big name tuners.
    scudrunner82 likes this.
  13. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Thanks. I’ve had suspension done on big bikes (1190R, sport bikes, etc...) and it made a nice improvement. My problem is I don’t find big faults with my husky, but then again the best you know is the best you’ve ridden!
    I’ve had the bike almost a year and put about 30 hours on it.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  14. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    What could cause front brake surge with a brand new rotor and brand new pads?
  15. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it’s truly straight, then maybe inconsistent bedding or it has some residue on a portion of the rotor? Try a thorough cleaning / light sanding and re-bed the brakes.
  16. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    The bike is basically brand new, 5 hours on it when I put the new rotor on.
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    head bearings loose...?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    That would cause a surge in the front brakes? The bike feels perfectly normal everywhere else. High speed through the whoops, jumps, turns, etc. The problem started when I took the stock rotor off and put on an aftermarket rotor. I'm going to swap back and see if that fixes it.
  19. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Did you buy an ebay Amazon rotor?.....shame....ding ding....shame....ding ding
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  20. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    You should know better! :lol3

It's a fancy one.
    Nowwhat likes this.