The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha. I was being a smart ass referring to the weed eater..I sure don’t need more power for our slippery NW conditions.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. petew

petew I love all motorcycles! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    9259D651-F371-4D3A-ACD6-7945CD377989.jpeg The White Goat is down! Buddy Mike helped repair the broken master link while nursing 2 broken ribs. I had replaced it 50 hours ago but muddy conditions accelerate wear on the thin keeper. Fortunately I didn’t crack the cases in a catastrophic chain jam up. Be sure someone in your party carries a chain press and extra master link.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I heard it's a requirement and if you run without it you'll only make 1/2 the HP thats available :lol3
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You're now the poster child for riveted master links Anatoli :D

Don't leave home without it
    [​IMG]
  6. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Trick photo. My bike has never been that clean.
  7. NCwolf

NCwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the thousands upon thousands of miles me and my group of ~10 buddies that ride have ridden the trails, not once have we EVER needed the ridiculously heavy MP chain tool I always carried (the big forged one that weighs like 3 lbs). So I decided to take it out of my waist pack, but still felt anxious so ordered the much lighter (thought still not light) folding version. Tested it out at home to make sure it would press out a pin WITHOUT grinding and was pleased to see it would, so into the pack it went. Figured have it not need it, etc.

Your picture sums up exactly why I carry it. :D I also carry the master link press to make life easier, and of course a few master links, some length of chain...and also some cheap primary drive masters for my buddies that I know run it since my RK wouldn't work on their cheap chains. Figured for $5 I can just buy the part for them and end up saving myself from a few hours of missed riding.

Now as far as the 300, I was finally able to ride mine "New" 2006 last weekend and gotta say the thing is a freaking blast. I'm still getting it dialed in as far as suspension and jetting, but I'm already in love with it and we still need to get to know each other better. Can't believe I waited this long to get a two smoker.

My only beef, and this could be the circa 2006 tires that are on it that are closer to granite than they are rubber, is that it doesn't turn nearly as good as the CRF...but then again the CRF suspension is dialed in perfectly, and I'm running a tubliss and new tires. What I mean to say is the KTM put me on the ground pretty bad on an off camber downhill hairpin and I'm still sore and making excuses.

Awesome freaking bike.

IMG_20191109_135454.jpg

Also I have since swapped out that SX tank with the proper XCW tank, so if anyone needs a teeny tank on their 300 or 250 I'll make you a deal for the one on the bike in the above picture. Only bad part about the big tank is you can't see that beautiful, beautiful engine as well.
    scudrunner82 likes this.
  8. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Gotta warn you, smoking is addicting! The nastier the route the more you will love the 2T bike. Find out what the smart guys are running for tires to match your local conditions and replace those old, hard tires and tubes ASAP. This is the best money you can spend on your bike and the best way to stay off the dirt and prevent personal injury. Do this before you make suspension changes. Your new tires are supposed to be your only contact point with Terrafirma, and cost far less than any visit to a medical professional.
    Bitingdog and NCwolf like this.
  9. NCwolf

NCwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm not ready to say I'm a two stroke convert as I'll never get rid of the CRF, but having only ridden it for a few short hours, I can tell you my garage will never be without a 300 or similar again. The power is addicting!

And noted on the tires, just didn't have time last week to put some new shoes on. New tires and tubliss are on the way, should make a world of difference. I've been running Kenda Trackmasters for the simple fact that they are cheap. Where we ride in WVa there's alot of asphalt to connect the trailheads so I just run whatever I can get the cheapest.

This bike, however, will mostly handle single track duty so I'll put some better tires on it.
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used a Trakmaster 2 front and I didn't think it was bad at all.
    PlowHand likes this.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Check out the Kenda Klassics. chapmoto.com
    DOT rated
    Very similar to the old Metzelers and you can get a set for $90 delivered. I love them
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is practically every tire has 4.5 or 5 stars in user reviews on every website.
    I think they're fooling us with these thousands of choices and the only things that really matter are how tall and far apart do you want the knobs, and how soft do you want the compound.
    The only really obvious problem I have with knobbies is when all the knobs tear off.
    renogeorge likes this.
  14. petew

petew I love all motorcycles! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Confidence inspiring indeed!
    67 y/o male with gear 154 lbs.
    Decent condition, last 2T was 1975
    Street rider since 1968 - Current no breaks in my riding.
    Dirt/ logging roads/ quarry climbing 1963-1975. Not much since, 4T only
    2019 XC W with GET ECU since purchased, all setup done by Carls’s Boise.
    Suspension also Carls’s but basically set plush, all out of the box.
    I have been messing with some heavy 4T bikes and never being comfortable when sliding around in dirt or even gravel logging roads. And pick any of those 400 lbs bikes up after a drop, well for me at least...
    So I made my mind up to find a bike that I can pick up when I drop it. Eventually I found the 250/300 KTM 2T bikes, and the injection setup makes it easier to ride and own in my mind.
    Then after riding several test bikes, the XC W 300 with the GET was really a fast tractor.
    So I am at 10 hours on the clock and am getting really comfortable climbing all over the bike for weight transfer and grip. I have about another 2 hours on my own with a stock 250 2019 KTM. It was nice, tight, but when I should’ve down shifted and didn’t, I had lots of issues from killing it to spinning my rear tire and crashing... Then the 300 came next and I wanted to buy one! 2019 was out and the XC W was my choice and then had them set it up. 2 days after I picked it up I was in the hospital with kidney failure. So it was a couple of months before I got to ride it, but haven’t looked back.
    I love the bike,fun for sure.
    This site has helped me with the 2t and my riding. I watch and attempt to emulate many of your moves, although not to the extreme. I’m learning and having fun, don’t do things at 9/10s anymore and this is maybe 7/10s of what I can do.
    Thanks!
    Pete
  15. NCwolf

NCwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah overall I'm pretty impressed with them. Run them at 9 psi front, 5 rear with Tubliss on the other bike and they are excellent.

Will take a look at those, thanks!

Same here. When I was racing MX I could definitely tell when I used the "better" tires. But for what I do now, as long as it's got good knobs and they don't tear off, it works great.
  16. NCwolf

NCwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright, so I did something abso-freaking-lutely boneheaded. I feel the need to hit myself repeatedly.

Anyway. I hadn't messed with (what I though was) the high speed compression on the rear of my 06. I looked at the shock and the clicker has comp +/- engraved on it, and the big nut also had +/-, so naturally I assumed the big one was high speed like my CRF. Didn't bother to read the owner's manual and instead grabbed a socket to see where it was set. it was fully tight (which, as I'm sure yall know how this story is about to unfold, is because it's not a freaking adjustment nut). So anyway I decide to be slick and see how many rounds it would go the other way, and reset it somewhere in the middle for testing purposes. Again, fail on my part for not consulting the manual which would have reveled the fact that this bike doesn't have high speed compression adjustment.

So what did I do? Well it was locked pretty tight so I was happy that it broke free...and I continued to count the turns until the b!tch popped out of the shock body, spraying fluid everywhere and of course releasing that precious nitrogen. I didn't bother to check progress which would have made it obvious that I needed to stop.

Anyway so now I feel like a moron. I was planning on getting the suspension freshened up anyway but now it has a bit more urgency. Do ya'll have anywhere you'd suggest to send it off to? Just wondering if there's a place in particular that's known for doing these bikes. I have a local guy who worked magic on my 450 but I don't know that he has experience with the PDS.

Thanks...I'll resume hitting myself now.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  17. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I am glad to hear you are having fun and loving your bike. There is no better exercise machine to my mind. What other machine has you laying awake impatient for morning to come so you can ride some more? And how about the places your steed can take you? Truly transformative. There is a small movement afoot with returning riders embracing the new 2T machines. The strong predictable powerband coupled with the best one finger clutch in the industry allows even amateurs such as myself to sample and enjoy this world class engineering in a controllable manner. The buy in is steep, but not a whole lot more than a high end mountain bike. Some of us cannot pedal 60 miles of singletrack anymore, but can easily do so with a moto. For those short of stature that find the KTM/ Huskys too tall, I highly recommend the Beta Xtrainer, a smaller dimensioned 300cc 2T bike that is also considerably lighter. All the cool guys are riding 2 strokes..
    Bitingdog, nzrian, PlowHand and 2 others like this.
  18. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

After a few years on a 4t, doing a rally, I am now back on a 300 2t. I got a bit never one than I had before and have a bit of a problem.

I need some help with winter jetting of my new to me 2013 300. How do you guys have yours jetted for colder weather? PJ, MJ, Needle, AS,...? I am ridding in Central EU (Alps region) between 300-700m (1000-250 ft) ; current temperatures 5-15°C (42-60°F)

My current assortment of brass at home is:
    PJ: 35, 38, 42, 50
    MJ: 160, 162, 165, 168, 170
    Needles: N3CJ, N84K, N2ZL, N2ZJ, N2ZK

Any recommendation is welcome

On my old 07 300 during summer I was using:
    35 pilot
    162 main
    N3CH needle with clip in #3 (currently on backorder :( )
    1 3/4 on air screw

Can I use the same jetting on the '13 that I had on my '07? Summer/winter?

Thanks all!
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It's the same motor and carb, the jetting should be very close to what worked in the '07.
    MadM likes this.
  20. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just went for a ride. Deep sand washes in 4th gear with nuts on the tank and I could still power wheelie.

that is all!

RK Tek head and JD jetting in the carb. This bike freaking rocks! ('18 300 XC) oh, and 14-48 gearing, wooooweee!
    alvincullumyork likes this.