The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was on a carbed 18 300xcw. With the sx head, I had a rattle in the motor around 1/8 -1/4 throttle when going down the road at steady throttle. I couldn't get rid of it with jetting changes so I tried higher octane as suggested by a few people. It went away as soon as I mixed race fuel with pump gas and was around 100 octane.
    Before doing that a few people said that sound was nothing to worry about but I didn't like it.
  2. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:

On my 18 xc, I get a rattle when the motor is hot about the same throttle range.
    The head has been machined, so higher compression than a stock motor.
    Thought it was the power valve.
    I am gonna try some higher octane and see if this sorts it.
    Thanks.
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I am on my 3rd 300, all with high compression head work. I have found that 25% race gas helps a lot when it is cooler and I ride close to sea level. I don't know if it is the higher octane or just the richer burning for the race gas. I don't rejet going from 6000 down to sea level. I may try octane booster. But the race gas works so well and is not a big expense at 25 or even 50%. YMMV
    nzrian likes this.
  4. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also tried vp racing octane booster which is supposed to raise the octane 8 points if used full strength. I got it to where using it at half strength worked well. No rattle using this at full or half strength.
    Its deer season now so I don't want to ride in the woods during that time. I hope to test the rk head out and see how it runs in this bike sometime soon. Screenshot_20191210-122428_Chrome.jpg
    nzrian likes this.
  5. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone with a '13 KTM/Berg measure their side stand length, from bolt center to end of alu shaft (no plastic foot included)? Mine was butchered by PO and I got a new foot for it, but seems the stand itself was also cut down.

On the other hand. Skid plate arrived :clap:clap:hide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how much does that monster of a skidplate weigh? im new to 2 strokes but still havent really damaged my pipe with multiple drops enough to throw that hunk at it
  7. petew

petew I Motorcycles!

Oddometer:
    38C9BC37-EFA2-4CDD-B2C3-841C212640DD.jpeg 75FD1140-D38E-47BE-A778-E8F9B319C08A.jpeg B0123101-DBF1-4817-84E2-59636F736BC6.jpeg
    Lots of work to do still, what a freaking mess. I too believed that my bike was up to a couple of easy crashes and all. Well it was not and even with free labor (67, lots of time) I will have serious cash into a repair, but a 12 liter tank isn’t required it just happens when I’m buying the required parts... More things jump into my cart every time!

Attached Files:

8. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    dude! you have one tough garage floor!!!
  9. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    That sucks! Buy a flange protector when you throw it back together.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  10. petew

petew I Motorcycles!

Oddometer:
    I have one now, flange will be here Thursday and then I gotta figure out what sealant to use between the flange and the barrel, there was something thin and semi clear in nature.
    I wish I had a book like the rest of my bikes that tells me how to do this stuff but so far no luck on a download for my TPI bike, the broken one.....
  11. petew

petew I Motorcycles!

Oddometer:
    image.jpg And I’ll make it better while I’m here, besides the flange protector, a 12 liter tank and whatever else I can get (or have ordered)before I get impatient and put it back together so I too can play.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  12. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    I used this thermal sealant. Use a very thin layer
  13. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Don't feel too bad. I broke my flange dropping my bike off a loading ramp! I even had the flange protector, that I installed a week prior!
    Replacement isn't too hard.
    Fishing the flange out of the engine between the frame is tight, but doable. Just some clear silicone will be fine on the surfaces, use a thin layer as Boianovich said.
    There is a company out there that repairs flanges. I plan to do mine and keep it as a spare.
  14. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy the factory service manual you cheapskate! :lol3
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Sealants are a bandaid and don’t last. Fresh O rings are more effective
  16. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Both are what the factory uses.
    Boianovich likes this.
  17. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can get the service manual online for $10 from https://kristofsx.com/
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Factory uses something very similar to yamabond which is the same as permatex grey. Put a thin layer on both halfs (cyl &flange), let it setup 5 min before putting the pieces together. I do 2 or 3 ktm topends a year, none of them seep any spooge.
    alvincullumyork, BISHOP and Bitingdog like this.
  19. nico4646

nico4646 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, my name is Nicolò and I'm from Italy. I'm new in here so I don't know if it's the right place to post...

I have a ktm exc 300 mod. 2005 and I'm looking for a new and bigger gas tank 'cause my old lady is very thirsty, saw the clarke 13 liter, but i'd prefer a bigger tank (between 15 and 20 liter), excluding the 500 $ safari tank... any suggestion, maybe quite cheap?
    Another question, are there any manufacter that make lateral luggage rack for my model or i' ve to do myself?

Thanks for the answer, this is a fantastic forum!
  20. nico4646

nico4646 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my bike, I was wondering of making it a little adventure bike:muutt IMG_20170206_173628.jpg
    wforider, nzrian and alvincullumyork like this.