The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stabil also has those bottles just an fyi. Oh and I frigging hate those things.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I dialed in 4 of them including mine and the all the owners kept them on the bike. Like I said tuning them is counter intuitive. For instance, if you're getting some spooge it's too lean, if it feels rich it's likely lean and needs the metering rod raised. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is and once you realize it's basically backwards from everything you learned they aren't hard to dial in, it takes me about a hour somewhere I can ride the bike, less work than a jetted carb requires. A 1/4 turn of the metering rod is sometimes all that needed to go from not running crisp to being dialed in, many new owners don't get that and pass right by the point where it runs best. If I had to mess with it as much as a jetted card I would have sold it years ago.

One of the things I noticed with the Lectron which had nothing to due with my reasons for getting one is there's only one metering circuit so there's no transitions through the range of the throttle. A conventional carb has 2 major transitions, pilot to needle and needle to MJ, more if you count the AS and the slide. Each has to pick up nicely where the other left off as well as provide the right amount of fuel through the range it affects. It's what the manufacturers strive for when figuring out baseline jetting for a motor and what KTM failed miserably at in MY2017 and improved 2018 and seemed to get right in 2019. It's not easy, it took them 3 years to get right. Poor transitions mean the hit becomes more abrupt and is often masked at the low end with a larger pilot jet. You feel the difference in power delivery the first time you ride a bike with a Lectron, it tends to be more linear than most jetted carbs. In that regard they're similar to a tpi which also has no transitions, if you've ever ridden a TPI you know what linear power delivery feels like. Also like a TPI they are smooth at a constant throttle position. Not trying to sell anyone on one but I don't like seeing it getting a bad rap because the guy working on it can't figure it out. Kinda like the bad rap KTM had for unreliable bikes which more to do with the owners then the bike's quality.
  3. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed 2 and didn't have to make a single adjustment. One on a 105 (which I think they don't do very often) and one on my son's 200. I have a bunch of friends that swear by them here in Colorado.
    I do have one friend that bought a used one and tried it, but didn't like it for whatever reason. He had to get a different metering rod and it didn't work right for him.
    RideFreak likes this.
  4. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live 10 minutes from Rampart. Give a shout out next time you go?

I have a fair bit of 2smoke tuning experience from racing shifter karts for many years. Those engines were so 'maxed out' that a cloud cover would necessitate swapping out a jet.
    Nothing like sitting on the pre grid with the carb off and the bowl in your lap.
    I am a huge fan of the PWM carb since that's the one I worked with the most. However the most power was made on a Dellorto which required a phd to tune.

Does the Lectron give you better fuel mileage? If so then that would definitely be a direction I would look.

D

5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It's a pretty significant improvement over stock on the PWK, can't say regarding the guys I swapped over from the Mikuni, They weren't running right back in 2017 and many of the owners got sick of trying stuff out and went with the Lectron. Another thing I liked about Lectron is it's a small company who's willing to discuss your issues on the phone if you need to call them up.
    alvincullumyork and Bitingdog like this.
  6. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak anywhere warm out there to ride this time of year? still have a few vacation days to burn before march
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    will do, pm me your name and cell please.

My ridding buddy (also in Douglas county) has a lectron on his 300xc and it’s dialed in better than any other I’ve ridden (which is several). I seem to use considerably less fuel on a given ride than he does. I have the oem carb with Jarvis mods and jd jetting. I also have an rk head while he runs an s3. I run race gas and he runs pump. Not sure which if these or what combo produces the result, but we’ve ridden together a lot and I consistently use less fuel.
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are the Jarvis mods? Will they make me ride better?
    cal08, Whodatschrome and waterman28 like this.
  9. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you buy the husky plastics with the Jarvis #1 plate and side panels. Once you do that, your bike runs and performs like his factory bike. Everyone is doing it!

The Jarvis mods are for the mikuni carb. Allegedly, the mechanic for Jarvis came up with these and Jarvis ran them when he was running a carbed bike.

Here's a brief description of the mods. you file the small notch in your slide a little larger. You drill eight 1/16" holes in the float bowl drain plug below the threads in the recessed area. You drill out the two small holes in the splash guard to 1/16". And finally you slightly crimp and bend the brass overflow line inside the bowl.
    Bitingdog, cal08, BikePilot and 2 others like this.
  10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was googling that last night after @BikePilot posted it. The float bowl plug holes seem to make sense, especially if you're going to lower the float height (one of the other recommendations), and then ride your bike at a 45 degree angle on one wheel half the time. I have always wondered why a carb worked for Jarvis when he was doing that. Think how it would mess with the float for example. For most of us, gravity seems more reliable than the fuel pump needed for FI, but when you defy gravity routinely, maybe not?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or just buy a Keihin Airstriker from JD with his jets
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an option but there's nothing wrong with the mikuni after fixing the jet block and o ring.
    Im not totally sold on the Jarvis mods. I did drill the float drain. That makes sense to me. Getting fuel to that area is key.
    If I had an extra $350 burning a hole in my pocket I'd try, test and compare the keihin to the mikuni. But I don't so that's that.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Perfect today, none of my buds want to ride so I'm here :2cry
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least you don't have to work :(

Bitingdog likes this.
  15. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    love the KTM in Black/orange. IMG_9423.jpg

New graphics and plastics day
  16. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Our oldest rider toppled into a flooded ravine. Our resident Navy SAR swimmer fished him right out before he drowned. It is hard to swim wearing wet riding gear. I love these guys!

986D2F67-8598-423E-9780-370908879384.jpeg

8D425F97-1D6B-47FC-BAF9-2302FD63A41F.jpeg
    Buildzall, Bitingdog, cal08 and 9 others like this.
  17. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    It was great here too, but likewise I had no riding buddies. So I made a new bud and rode anyway. (Please forgive the Honda.)
    6F3BAB2F-A6EF-4335-BBAD-EA5AD4BDC17C.jpeg
  18. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Nothing to forgive. Honda is on a roll right now winning both the Dakar and the Baja 1000. Honda is the only company currently challenging the KTM/Husqvarna juggernaut in off road. Competition is the force behind racing development. We the consumers benefit almost immediately with better bikes. Look back decade by decade to judge the rate of innovation and quality.
  19. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda will do what Honda does - make race winning / title winning bikes and then offer the public a half-assed version of what they race.
  20. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep thats it. The slide notch improves signal to the pilot jet and fixed that slight dead spot right off idle. The holes let fuel actually get to the main jet so it doesn't go flat up top. Both made very noticeable improvements on my 19. The crimp I didn't do and assume is for riding balance wheelies everywhere. Most people also put a loop in the float bowl vent line. That I did do.