1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak solid recommendation on trails. Sovereign was by far my favorite (spent 2 days there). Started 7 mile rim later in the afternoon but didnt finish it.

Poison spider/golden spike was fun but exhausting. We went up to the highest lookout before turning around.

20200222_095732.jpg 20200224_104005.jpg
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Looks like you hit some nice weather, I almost went last weekend when it was raining here, turns out it rained there according to the weather. Glad you had a nice trip.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks fantanstic @adv_sacrifice ! Ground moist, skies clear. We got a little rain one day we were there.. the "slickrock" is named that for a reason.. so we found out.
  4. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get the Estart sorted fairly easily.

Tokyo off road has a good youtube vid on it somewhere. It seems the bushings are usually shit and the system could stand to have yearly grease applied to the gears involved in the starting curcuit.

I looked in my manual and picked up some of the exact moly type grease that they called for to have on hand for my annual services.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  5. Oldbear

Oldbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s possible in theory but too much work (and too expensive) to be practical. You would need to machine the engine case, change the crank etc.
  6. vtwinjunkie

Oddometer:
    What does the bottom of the engine cases look like where the starter would go?

I assume if it has the hole you could fit one and change the internal bits and case cover.
  7. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've ridden a couple of TPI bikes, one of which was TX300 and have been less than impressed. I was thinking maybe get a 250SX, bolt on the starter, do the 300 kit with the first top end and add a 6th gear. Then I have a brand new carbed XC. Probably a pipe dream and not worth the cost. I really want to like the TPI but just haven't rode one yet that felt right.
  8. vtwinjunkie

Oddometer:
    I have an 18 XCW and Let me say, the 6th gear and electric start are worth it!

in a few years I'll buy the TPI to try it out. Love the feedback Ive seen all over
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  9. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I've got a 17 300 XC and I love it but it is getting a little long in the tooth.
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Hate to ask but even is some opinions point me to some options I haven't considered….what's everyone's favourite front tire for mixed terrain? Early season is wet mud, roots and rocks around here late season it dries up. I didn't love the stock MT81 that came on the bike. Shinko 216 has been my go to and I have a new fatty sitting out in the garage but I'm not sure about putting the fatting on for hare scrambles and the given the mud that will be part of the beginning of the season.
  11. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    I put a Shinko fatty on the front of my 450 XC-W. I wouldn't recommend it for hare scrambles but it is a good hard enduro tire. Sketchy at speed on any hard pack dirt stuff. It does great in the wet woods with roots etc. here in TN, you can also slam into stuff without worry. I was very surprised at how if you chose a bad line and had to hit stuff, it did great there.
    Boianovich likes this.
  12. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a lot to take into consideration so YMMV but I am liking the Washougal II front. Works well, not shedding side knobs, only cost about $50.
  13. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:

Just buy a 19 XC or TX. they have the new frame and all the current goodies minus tpi
    Gordy and Bitingdog like this.
  14. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    I think some of you guys need to go for this... Gnarly Routes
    Todd157k and timeOday like this.
  15. 1wicked55

1wicked55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you should ride mine it fricken rips
    Bitingdog likes this.
  16. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Starcross 5 medium is hard to go wrong with. It's big, not fatty big but close. Extremely light too
  17. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Heard the same and when I was first getting used to the 300 and the relative twitchy feel after coming off a 500exc with a damper I thought more control on the front with a fatty slowing things down might be good. After a season of racing the 300 I'm not so sure that's the fix. I did get used to the AT81 stock tire but didn't like the way is handled hits and ruts. Had good luck with the standard MX216. I was looking at the Bridgestone M59.
    ChromeSux likes this.
  18. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I was going to mention the M59 too, but the Michelin Starcross 5 medium has a far greater range of surface competency. Plus there's more tire in case you're banging off roots and rocks at speed.

I like the Shinko MX216 fatty, but my issue with it is the shorter FIM spec knobs. It's like buying a 30% worn tread. Those short knobs hurt in mud and clay.

It's always interesting trying different tires. Like you I really don't like the AT81 front, yet there's a fellow here who actually loves them! And he's fast!!

Are your ears burning @alvincullumyork?
    petew and Anatoli like this.
  19. SHEP_5

SHEP_5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Western NY, somewhere between Buffalo & Rochester
    I tried the bridgestone m59 front on recommendation of a riding buddy and really liked it so far for the exact same type of riding here in Western NY. trails in PA and Harescrambles in NY, I ran it on tubliss for a while but think I like it better with a heavy duty tube.

I ran the Shinko fatty on tubliss and liked it at 1st but seemed to wash out and be unpredictable in dryer faster stuff, but if your just in nasty rocks and roots its awesome. I just got a 2nd front wheel so its easy to swap out fronts ,plus you can keep a nice fresh tire on one wheel if you want
  20. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I love the AT 81 but I seem to one of three people that do.. I don't like the fatty. A lot of people like the Starcross 5 and I have had good luck with the Washougal DCII and Pirelli Scorpion.

It will probably be a year and half before I get to buy anything and I want to buy new. I may just end up getting a 350XC-F. I got a 350SX-F and I love it for the desert and track.

What have you done to it?