The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll only make you pay me $100 to take it.
    guns_equal_freedom and Bitingdog like this.
  2. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the mountain top sunset pics!!!!!

Good work!!! But wouldn't little jump ramps on both sides be more appropriate? :D
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    766B67AD-FC86-4C0A-9BA4-33788DF30472.jpeg

Come get it. Kicked my ass today. Kind of want a Rekluse.
  4. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    My riding area... Not the foreground; underneath the smoke.
    IMG_20201016_151815.jpg
    Todd157k likes this.
  5. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep riding it as much as possible without hurting yourself.
    In a few weeks you'll be amazed at what you can do with your bike.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    EC742502-E9EC-484B-9502-E1FD77A54B5E.jpeg

When your boat is big enough, the 5th wheel long enough, and the house long paid for, what do you buy yourself for your 78th birthday? Why a KTM 300 EXC TPI of course! Bruce the Legend was one of 6 guys who drove a long ways to show up for a Fall Rain Ride. Remember, he has been retired for decades and can cherry pick the nice days. Thoughtful mods include a Rekluse clutch, Left Hand Rear Brake, and custom tuned suspension. Bruce can’t touch the ground so I expect to see it lowered pretty soon. He is now harder to catch than ever. He is ready for his nap though.
  7. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man I want one. Maybe I can talk the wife into me buying myself one for my 38th next year!

Congrats man
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  8. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Don’t wait till 78! You will have lots more time to enjoy it.
    Bitingdog, solo rider and vtwinjunkie like this.
  9. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sage advice!

Im sure if I sold my 18 she would be onboard...I love it too much though hahaha
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  10. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally made it to a hare scramble this season. It just happened to be the last AMA East race. I was probably better off staying home lol. It started off with me thinking I was in 2nd a the start but, in reality, I was in neutral. :doh
    I'm also way out of race shape. Less than a half mile into the first lap my lower back tightened up real bad. It's a problem I've been having all summer but it was manageable at less than race pace. The bike is where I want it. Now I gotta work on me. The crappy part is we have a full gym at work that's closed until further notice. I'd been getting there 4-5 times a week before C-19. Gotta find alternate means this winter.

86832197-850_1108.jpg

86833088-IMG_6539.jpg
  11. mo_rider

mo_rider the dude abides Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those bad ass pics though...
    Scottyluc and Bitingdog like this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I was doing doing some suspension tuning and found I can’t get rid of the impact of trail chop. I am almost completely out of compression adjustment in the forks with 26 rebound. I am out of high speed adjustment in the shock. Shock doesn’t feel to bad but rockie trail was hard. 2014 OC forks. Bike is sprung for me. Noticed a leak at the left side compression adjustment. Have to set up a log in the yard too, I flung this thing off a hill with my lack of clutch throttle control.
  13. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you have your bike setup for this kind of racing?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    You have it whacked out. Set it up by the manual, including oil level in the forks and then ride it. Make no more than a few clicks at a time to see what is going on.
    If there is no changes happening, then you have bigger problems and will need a suspension shop to help you out.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I spent a day at a local course messing around with my suspension last month. I felt like this bike was trying to kill me all year. This is where I ended up and it feels great. At least for me it does. It's always a compromise with the terrain here in New England but I'd rather it work well in the rocks and be adequate everywhere else.

I weigh around 220 fully geared up. Probably a bit more when running an enduro do to some added tools.
    I went from the OEM 42 rear spring to a Racetech 48.
    Valving in the AER fork and shock is stock.

My current numbers:
    Shock
    Hi sp – 3 out
    Lo sp – 17 out
    Reb – 12 out
    Race sag – 111
    Static Sag - 31

Fork
    Air pressure - 140lbs
    Comp – 34 Out
    Reb – 14 Out
    Fork Height – 13.2mm (about 3 lines showing above the triple)

Tires are M59 front set at 11lbs and MT16 rear set at 9lbs running 3mm UHD tubes.

Again, these numbers work for me. And, as with anything else, are always subject to change.
    I am considering a spring conversion over the winter just because. I rode a friend's '19 FX350 with a conversion and liked the feel.
    Bitingdog, rkdwp, MadM and 1 other person like this.
  16. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    What are the majority of your trail conditions like? If you're in a lot of rocks I would try running the rebound clicker in and see how that feels. Se my post above.
    I tried the rebound all over the spectrum when I was testing and running it out far as you have it was terrible for me. I agree with Gordy. Set it up to the manual. That will be a somewhat neutral start. Adjust one thing at a time so you know what works. It's been said a thousand times but needs to be repeated - take notes! It's to easy to forget where you are.
    If you are unsure of what the changes are doing you could try running the comp and/or rebound full in and then full out to see what exactly each one does. That's strictly to get a feel for what each clicker controls and what running it in or out will do.

The important part here is to find a section of trail that you're having the most issues with and keep riding that same section to see what your changes are doing. Making changes and then riding different terrain won't help.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with these other guys, try taking rebound in.

I'm running 0.48 fork, 7.6 shock springs in my 2011 300. This summer I finally got serious and spent a day spinning clickers dozens of times. I ended up way in on rebound on both ends. I think 14 front and 11 rear. Transformed the bike in both the whoops and small chop, like tree roots or 2-3" tall rocks. All that "harshness" on single strikes was just too little rebound damping. And one cobblestone like section where the bike just skittered around it then rode over as if smooth dirt. Amazing what those last 4-6 clicks did to the bike's behavior.

I had gone from "sport" to full open looking for plushness in the past. The answer was the other direction.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suspension was fresh from cogent. 5wt 140mm sprung for me. I started out moving one adjustment at a time. Out on compression was a move in the right direction followed by out on rebound. Incrementally better with adjustments. But reaching the end of adjustment and not dealing with rocks to well.

Suspension shop is looking into dyno results and speaking to there tech.

looking at ktm talk people in my wheight class have had problems similar. Some thing about a cone being drilled.

I plan on reseting clickers and trying again but I can’t recreate WV trail conditions in my yard. BB257E3F-6B34-41C0-994E-054588B8299B.jpeg
    Not so much using the last three inches of the throw. Clickers all the way out fluid should be mostly by passing the stack. If WP stuff works at all like YZ stuff. Lots to learn.

2014 xcw OC forks
  19. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Hard to go by the clean vs dirty part of the fork tube to gage how much travel you're using. That's just how much you used since the last time it got dirtied up.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil level? I dropped mine to 130mm and seem to use most the travel better now, and still no harsh bottoming.
    Bitingdog likes this.