The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog, enduro16, N8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I've got some Rotella 15w40 sitting around which will hold me over for a while. A gal of T4 and a gal of T5.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 300, I use the clutch to modulate the power more often than on dual-sport or streetbikes, so the oil gets dirty more quickly.
    So I prefer to stick with 20 or 25 hour changes instead of pushing it way out like some people say.
    Because of that I don't think a super long-lived synthetic is much of a benefit.
    I use Rotella T6 because the price is fine and I use it in my other bikes but I wouldn't worry about using conventional.

One thing I learned only recently is that most diesel oils are NOT ok - most also now contain additives that increase clutch slippage. For example the Delvac 1300 available for a good price at Costco should not be used.

So I stick with Rotella. I just checked my T4 and T6 bottles and they say JASO MA on the back. Those are the magic words.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol @PitMyShants! has turned this into an oil thread.
    T6 was in mine went with type F while troubleshooting cutch drag(no joy). Heavier weight may have some more warm up time.

you bringing that bike to LBL in Nov?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might be hard on the clutch but it seems to start to change feel after about 20 hours. I don't care all that much about how dirty it looks but when the feel changes the oil changes. I use Rotella too but lots would work in our smokers. pre-mix matters though!
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  6. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @greasyfatman I didn't mean to start a war, just looking for a few suggestions. Oil threads are always a mess, so I just go with some of the first responses, not what is "best."

Yes, I think the 300 will be the bike of choice for LBL this Nov
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rich people shit.
  8. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    What are you using for pre mix?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  9. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually use dominator 60:1 because I can get it here. In Co I used Saber 80:1 KTM of Aspen had the 8 oz bottles, my favorite since it seems to be more consistent especially for trials type stuff. I've used motorex 60:1 and K2 successfully too. All others I've tried I had issues with... except Lucas Semi-synthetic but only used that for 1 quart worth though.... I went all the way through my 2017 250 and 300. What about you?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  10. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    ea6123298d212d2fd73a4ed890598d9b.jpg
  11. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Motul 800. I was using some motorex before that without issue but got talked into Motul by someone smarter than me.
    Bitingdog, mylsmkj and vtwinjunkie like this.
  12. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How often does everyone change oil anyway? Manual suggests 20 hrs, but gives that same interval for checking tire pressure too. Carved in my brain is 10 hrs, and its hard for me to go over that. Normally run Maxima trans oil, but last 2 changes have been Rotella T6 because I haven't been to the shop and have the T6 here for other bikes.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say I'm usually 15-20 hours.... but if you use it hard then why not change it at 10 hours.
  14. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    After every race or every two or three rides. A race is about 3 hours of engine time a ride is usually about 2 to 4 hours of engine time. Sometimes when I change after normal rides it's still decent. It's always black as sin after a race.
    Bitingdog and mylsmkj like this.
  15. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ronnie Mac is your spirit animal though... just sayin'
  16. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

Ronnie you got to let off the gas when you're in the air or you're gonna keep blowing up motors!

Well that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard! Next thing you're gonna tell me is to lose! It's not my fault they can't make technology to keep up with my riding style!
  17. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here.
  18. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put a fresh clutch pack in the 300 at 310 hours. I figured I’d check the comp while I was at it. I’m at about 150-170 hours, maybe a little more on this piston and rings. To my surprise I was still at 210-212 psi with the RK tech head. I have a new piston and rings, but I think I’ll wait until I sell it to install. Everything else on the bike is new or pretty new so I see no reason to go through the hassle of setting up a new bike. When I do sell it it will have new suspension off a 2021 and lots of other goodies.

I should note, I feel like I’ve been able to get 300 hours on the clutch plates and the good comp on the motor because of the Rekluse CX radius clutch is easier on things. I only did the clutch as preventative maintenance. The fiber plates were worn, but still working.
  19. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was your reason for the new clutch? Symptoms or basic maintenance?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bled my clutch and with the new fluid or possibly releasing some air, it was out of adjustment and felt like it was slipping. Once I readjusted it, all was good, but I figured I would do it anyway. I think it was mostly the fluid was broken down and I adjusted it over time to compensate. Even with the Rekluse I use my clutch a lot and I have it set so I only have to move it a little bit to disengage