The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep at it! Like @N8 sez the best way to get better at racing is to race. Looks like a really fun course!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Below 40, and probably below freezing
  3. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my plan for 2020. Something happened though around March...can't remember what it was...

This course was awesome. As far as New England riding goes the conditions could not have been better. We got a bunch of rain at the end of the week and the ground just sucked it up because it's been so dry. The dirt was real tacky and the rock/roots were just slippery enough to make it interesting.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  5. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I think I've done 1 off road race this year. I was planning on bumping up to Open A but I'm thinking I might stick with 30 A for a little bit more.
    Scottyluc and Bitingdog like this.
  6. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did an accurate check over 5 gallons use, multiple days, wide range of terrain/speeds and averaged 33 mpg.

Bone stock 2019 TE300i. One of the days was riding with a newer TX300i. He ran out of gas 1 mile from the trailhead, IIRC that was at ~65 miles. The little extra capacity of the older bikes sure helps. My low fuel light hadn't even came on yet.
    Bitingdog and JMZ like this.
  7. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    The original front counter sprocket from my 2019 TE 300i is on the left, showing 100 hours of wear. Notice how the drive side of the tooth is oblonged. Time to replace it. A new Renthal aftermarket sprocket is on the right. Don’t buy cheap sprockets. They won’t last. I always put some moly grease on the splines and transmission input shaft to prevent wear and galling. Check your input shaft seal for leaks when the sprocket is off.

9B75CD5F-5FDE-4C71-80FE-22A44F4E3593.jpeg

This Supersprox bi metal rear sprocket has 400 hours on it. It is showing wear but is still serviceable. I will run this combo with the new counter sprocket for another 50-100 hours. Always fit a new chain to new sprockets for maximum life.

372724AD-1B87-4946-B5EE-0CD1DD204FDB.jpeg

This can be an expensive hobby. Aside from the usual consumables such as brakes, tires, filters, fuel and oil, riders are faced with potential big medical expenses for rides gone wrong. Learning how to ride without injury is the most important task for new riders. This basically boils down to riding within one’s limits and stacking the deck in your favor by outfitting yourself with the best equipment that you can afford. This means properly fitted protective gear and a bike that is tuned to perform well in your specific set of conditions. It takes a while to learn all this, but most senior riders are more than happy to share their hard won knowledge. Once you learn how to ride difficult terrain without crashing, the sport becomes relatively inexpensive and infinitely more fun. Like any skill set, practice is the basis for competence. There are no short cuts. Watching videos of the pros really only helps if you combine it with practice.

For many, the riding season is coming to a close. Some of us are fortunate to live where climate conditions are moderate enough to support year round riding. Different seasons here in the Pacific Northwest require different bike setup, specifically proper tire choice, in order to enjoy the different challenges. If you can afford a spare rear wheel setup then you can have a great winter tire/ wheel combo ready to go. The right tire will hook up much more predictably and this will prevent injury.

Chains and sprockets are consumable wear items that often are neglected by uninformed riders. Now is a good time to make an inspection of these critical components. First inspect the keeper on the master link. These wear out with alarming frequency, and a failure can range from inconvenience ( pushing your bike back to Staging) to calamity ( the chain jams around the counter sprocket and blows your engine cases apart), possibly launching you into an immovable object. The keeper wears as it rubs against the chain guide. Replace it when worn. Once I settle on the proper sprockets ( gear ratio) for my terrain, I buy top a quality bi metal rear sprocket , like Supersprox, and good front counter sprocket along with a quality O or X ring chain. The 3 items together cost around $230. That is a lot of money, but this method actually saves money over time. The front sprocket completes 3 or 4 revolutions for every one of the rear: thus it wears out 3 to 4 times as fast. When a sprocket wears, it causes the chain to wear. By keeping the system clean and properly tensioned, and replacing the front sprocket before it wears too much, you can really extend the service life of these components. I see as much as 5000 miles before replacing the complete set is necessary, and I ride in punishing conditions.
    vtwinjunkie, Lutz, Scottyluc and 4 others like this.
  8. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

I am a big fan of Dirt Trick Iron Man sprockets and the Regina X ring chain they sell. They wear incredibly slow.

I am still guilty of not inspecting my mast link enough. Last time I replaced a dying chain it was missing the clip on the master link. The plate was still there but I have no idea how long it had gone without the clip. That could have been very bad.
    enduro16 and Bitingdog like this.
  9. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my master link the day before yesterday for the very reason you mentioned. Then I went for a long all day ride yesterday. 120 miles of really great trails.
    Took 7-1/2 hours. It's been forever since I've done a ride that long on my 300. My riding buddy was on his new Beta X-Trainer
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  10. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Medical bills suck. 2nd surgery on my shoulder. Messed it up racing supermoto and high siding (2017, fixed jan 2018). Wasnt a permanent enough fix. Landed wrong on a getoff this february which dislocated again for the first time. Issues since, and under the knife nov 13 for a bone graft.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Don't be "that" guy :lol3
    alvincullumyork and Bitingdog like this.
  12. 911

911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rk chain with rivet masterlink.
    Agree supersprox rear
    Oem front
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's all I run in everything but my truck. 4T / 2T bikes, mower, etc. Cheap and always looks good coming out.
  14. N8

Oddometer:
    I replace the front as I start to see the hook in the teeth. By the time I get that hook again, I feel it is time to replace the chain...it's usually pretty worn. For me, this is around 50hrs per front so 100hrs for the set. But I totally go by the condition of the front/chain, not hours. I never replace the chain without doing the rear sprocket too. But my experience with the rear super sprox has been the same. Doesn't look worn at all. I run oem chain and front sprockets and rear super sprox. Love the combo. Oh, and I "rotate" the chain when I replace the front. I have no idea if this is retarded cuz no one ever told me to, but it appears to make sense regarding chain sideplate wear. Again, it may be pointless.

Had that happen once where I finished a race with no clip...freaked me out. Never again. I check other people's all the time now. In my opinion the amount of lip left on the ML pins is the bigger issue that visual wear of the clip. Usually they get worn down to nothing...especially on the wider chains. That's another reason I like the stock VT2 chain...it's narrow and gets eaten up by the guides less.
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  15. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I'm turning 50 in March so it will be C Super Senior for me next year.
    The Senior class is a tough class because I'm racing against guys that are fresh out of their 30's just turning 40. There's a big difference in most cases physically from a 39-40yo to a 49-50yo.
    But the Super Senior guys are no slouch either. They're usually the guys that have been racing for years, not just starting out.
  16. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I was talking to a guy this past weekend that had a Supersprox blow apart on him mid race. First and only time I've heard of that happening. Of course, I have no idea what condition it was in when he started or how many hours were on it.

Funny, that the master link clip is being brought up. I was washing my bike during the week between the turkey run in Maine and the hare scramble last weekend and noticed my master link clip was gone. Same with Alvin, the plate was still there but the clip was gone. It must've happened at the Turkey run because I use the master link as a start/end point when I'm lubing my chain. I hate working on a dirty bike so it gets cleaned usually after every ride.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Myself I like the rk gold chain wears great and doesn't rust.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    I learned that years ago. I would look forward to moving up to the next age bracket and the same guys I've been racing for years are right there also. How'd they get here, I thought I was rid of them. :lol3
    Bitingdog and Scottyluc like this.
  19. N8

Oddometer:
    If you stick with it, someday you will look back at your C days in disbelief of how far you've matured as a racer. There will always be fast guys in every class. Wouldn't be much fun if there wasn't!
  20. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Next year I'll race as much as time will allow. My plan remains the same as it was for 2020 - race the entire NETRA Enduro series and however many hare scrambles I can fit in. As long as I'm seeing progress I'll be happy.
    Hopefully we'll have a race season next year.