The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or perhaps that’s when the injured finally get dragged into the medic station? Years ago I knocked myself the * out up on Mt. Hood. It was a “night ski” session, and about 30 minutes after my first run I went off some kicker and (I guess) landed head first. I spent the next 4 hours aimlessly wandering around the mountain carrying my snowboard. Someone finally coaxed me to the medic shack at around 11 pm.

And currently my separated rib(s?) are finally healing up from a small off that happened out in the Mojave desert this past thanksgiving. I figured I’d just share that so I can be part of the club.
    Gordy, Anatoli, RideFreak and 2 others like this.
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Ribs take forever. I was 7 weeks off the bike in the middle of the best riding season about 10 years ago. And i don't think I was 100% for another month
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  3. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Your are an honored and valued member, @Whodatschrome. Sorry to hear of your rib injury, but glad you are on the mend. Been there too.

I bet there is a high correlation of inmates here who also spent a lot of time on the snow. I always thought skiing and boarding was quite similar to moto in many ways. In my neck of the woods, night skiing was frequently combined with alcohol and cannabis with predictable results. When one idiot jumped off the chairlift, the other lemmings followed suit. Not everyone stuck the landing.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    10 years with no rib smash-up would be a blessing. I’m currently on my 2nd year in a row :pope without a rib injury in the last 10 without some kind of rib deal EVERY DAMN YEAR!
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    My best rib story had me in the world class Barstow, CA hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung. 2 weeks there, pneumonia and another 2 on oxygen had me swearing I'd take up golf. Glad I never did. Was not even an ARI......Alcohol Related Incident.
  6. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truck replacement fund turned into ‘18 Husky 300 this week. I’d take pics as proof but I decided to spread it out over the garage. Nothing like spending a bunch of $ on a perfectly good bike and taking it apart to spend a bunch more $. I hear that’s how the pros do it.
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Today was the perfect day to install our tribute to the guys that did the most to create and build our world class trail system here at Walker Valley. This will be especially meaningful for a couple of the guys who are still with us. This work began in 1975. Thank you gentlemen for the many years of hard work and dedication that resulted in the rider’s paradise that we now enjoy. You are Legends All.

9037CEE5-237D-4370-A7A5-AF4BBD018D09.jpeg

48116B40-F3E0-40FD-BFD7-DFBB8194EE5D.jpeg

D422797F-FB20-43A9-8A9F-C0B738535EEA.jpeg

85D165AC-969F-4592-B6CD-6A4FEB9C2D53.jpeg
  9. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I wonder how many of the pros would even qualify as "pros" if it meant actually showing a net career profit.
    alvincullumyork and Bitingdog like this.
  10. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awww shucks, thank you for the encouragement Anatoli. Though many of my peers did, I never had the desire to partake in any of that stuff. I like to keep a clear sharp mind. Plus I was spending all my money on Jeep parts and dirtbikes!

My thoughts?...Broken bones are always going to happen, and in time broken bones are always going to heal. I’m blessed with a very healthy body, and I like to take full advantage of it (in a respectful way). I think one of the biggest crimes that person could ever do is not live and love life to the fullest of their potential. There are literally thousands, if not millions of people in the world who would give most anything to have health as good as any of us here. I feel as though I’m cheating those less fortunate out of something if I don’t use my gifts to their potential. That being said, it seems like I’m always limping around after doing doing sometime I probably shouldn’t have.

My rib damage was my own fault by not respecting the desert. At the time of the crash, my ribs didn’t hurt too much compared to my head. I hit it quite hard, so I sat there for about 30 seconds until some of the pain went away. Picking up my bike was a little painful for the ribs, but the Mojave desert has such incredible riding that that there was no way I was going to call it a day! The worst part about hoping back on the bike was that I accidentally punctured my water bladder. It was fairly cold out that morning, so I was sitting in cold water and sticky electrolytes for the next few hours! I tried to drink all of the fluid up ASAP, but then I just had to stop and take pee breaks! No winning there.
    I made it another 100 miles before I accidentally sheared my left footpeg bracket’s bolt off (in a higher speed wash/ G out). Then my day was finally over! And the next morning it when my ribs REALLY started hurting.
    I primarily ride Oregon’s sweet single track, so when I get the chance to ride open desert, my right wrist just loves to twist the throttle, and lack of desert knowledge gets me in trouble. I just had the suspension on my 640A completely redone by Suspension 101, and I wanted to see what all it could do. Well, come to find out it can’t do 2’ deep desert washes.

This is week 12 for my ribs healing up, and they feel about 90%. My gym that I normally go to finally reopen a little over a week ago, so I’m doing some rib rehab while getting back into shape at the same time. I helped a friend’s dad clear out some windfall trees from his property yesterday, and lugging around a heavy saw didn’t bother my ribs at all. And check out my COVID hair! 9BF969FE-E990-4AC3-9280-F1131F5BDDC6.jpeg
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    My ‘best’ rib deal was at a National Trials being held in the mountains just south of Kingman, AZ. Fantastic area by the way.
    Anyway, I go off this big drop and tucked the front sideways and go over the bars and hit my back on a ledgey rock. I thought that I had broke my shoulder. Someone took my bike back to camp and I walked in. Sat there for a while and was convinced by others to go to the ER. My wife drives me to the ER and the attending doc asks what I was doing to cause this? I told him, “the motorcycle event up on the mountain”. He says, “you are the 4th one in here today from that, so far”. :rofl
    X-Rays, Cat Scan and sent out. He said that I had a few ribs cracked, lots of bruising but the shoulder and lungs appeared to be fine. Went back up, gathered all our junk and drove home. I was hating the Toyota suspension and the AZ DOT the entire trip. Owe, bang, owe, bang.........
    Bitingdog, Anatoli and Whodatschrome like this.
  12. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Manly stuff, @Whodatschrome! Where is Babe, your Blue Ox? And your bomb run on the 640a, doing your best Toby Price imitation: priceless.

Since we are talking ribs here, mine almost got barbecued. I was driving to work Monday morning in my 1956 VW convertible, and attempted a pass at 50 mph on a slow moving old pickup truck. At that instant the stoned hippie pilot, who had no license, insurance, or clue, veered left towards a dirt driveway sans turn signal, catching the rear fender of my Bug and sending it sideways. At some point during the four full revolutions of the vehicle, the flimsy top was ripped off and I was launched 100’ down the road, coming to rest on the shoulder: stunned but still conscious. Amazed at my good fortune, I slowly became aware of the sounds of approaching distorted metal. On its last flop, the now crushed VW dropped on top of me pinning my body firmly to the ground. The engine was still running ( of course..) and raw gasoline was dripping everywhere. I not only couldn’t move, I couldn’t breath. While awaiting the spark of combustion that could finally end this nightmare, a passing motorist tripped on my feet that were protruding beyond the running board. Somehow two guys summoned superhuman strength and lifted the car enough for me to crawl out like a frightened rabbit. It took me about 6 weeks to be able to catch my breath. No broken bones, just lots of crushed cartilage. I did need 4 stitches in my scalp. I was off the bike for 2 1/2 months.
  13. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    Weather is starting to warm up here so I went out for a bit yesterday. Getting more and more comfortable on this thing. I need bar risers ASAP. Can anyone recommend a place to get an extended front brake line?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% on the newer models but I see you have an XC, which has a shorter brake line. An OEM XCW hose should be around ~2.5 inches longer. You'll find the length listed in the parts fiche.
    Rusty Rocket and cozmo2312 like this.
  16. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    thanks guys
  17. burntaler

burntaler braaaaaap

Oddometer:
    Midweek ride to Big Dipper with a thunderstorm brewing on the horizon :nod

KTM89_Pano_2.jpg

wolf-howling-cliff_104785-528.jpg
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    cozmo2312 likes this.
  19. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I attempted to get out and ride today but made it only 4 miles.
    I thought the conditions were going to be good but there was just too much snow on the ground for the short studs I had on. I don't know how much better it would have been with the long studs but I wasn't mounting them.
    There was prob 8-10 inches on the ground and it was firm enough that I could walk on top but the bike was breaking through. I was able to get going on the main trails but once I hit a hill, I just couldn't get enough traction and momentum to get up.
    So I went home and put the new plastics and graphics on the bike. I usually get all white plastics but I opted for some orange this time around.
    Not bad for a 200 hour bike. 20210307_173246.jpg 20210307_173352.jpg 20210307_173405.jpg
    Buildzall, Bitingdog, Gordy and 6 others like this.
  20. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    After 8 of the Orange I just put in an order for a Sherco. Looking for a change..
    Bitingdog and lfoster729 like this.