The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    Why do trail bosses install the roots off-angle to the trail? I've even seen them cover the roots in mud.
    N8 and Bitingdog like this.
  2. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you know the risk of wearing out your hand grips can be almost totally eliminated just by removing the air filter
  3. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    What really impresses me about McNutt dirt church is the unrelenting consistency of the sinful struggle. It never eases up for more than a moment. Painful penance is everywhere. You really have to earn your redemption. I hope cursing is forgivable there. Masochists will want to go when the heavens open up and it is raining, with a Dunlop AT 81 set at 15 psi. I promise it will be a religious experience.
    alvincullumyork, Bitingdog and cal08 like this.
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    They usually lose compression due to ring wear from taking in dirt and such. But good filter maintenance and proper premix can allow a top end to last really long in terms of wear but can’t really do much for the eventual stress fractures that tend to occur with cast pistons. Forged ones can crack too, it just takes a whole lot longer.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Love your DB killer exhaust!
    911 likes this.
  6. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    They are very bad men! :imaposer

If you aim for the base of the tree, it's usually the easiest way through
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I just looked at my clock 182 hrs. Still runs great and no unusual noises. I ran a stock top end on a 2000 250exc for 9 years and sold it and the owner finally caved and changed it 2 years later, I had it apart several times and it always was in spec
    I get that the piston skirt can fall off. I once took a bike apart and it was cracked almot all the way across.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The piston skirt issue is mostly on race bikes and riders who ride their bike like it's a race bike. Piston do get fatigued. The popular consensus is around 80-100 hrs on a race motor and around 200hrs for a trail bike. One cracking on a trail bike is unusual, kinda depends on how it's ridden. If the motor isn't revving when the skirt breaks it might only need the pieces fished out and a new piston installed. The reason most riders don't push much beyond 200hrs is the alternative has the potential to get expensive. The extreme results can be cases, crank, cyl, piston and head, about $1500 in parts. :lol3

[​IMG]
  9. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    I ride mine like I'm driving a turnip truck. Only time it sees revs is if I miss a shift :D My 68 y.o. skeleton likes staying upright :photog She's a torquer
  10. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I have fallen off that turnip truck recently! It still hurts.
    Bitingdog and Rusty Rocket like this.
  11. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog, RideFreak and 911 like this.
  12. 300man

300man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2000 ktm exc's had a forged piston from the factory. That ended in 2003 and they have been cast since. Just saying. My 2018 is at about 150 hrs, I will be doing the top end soon. Easy piston clips for this kid...best invention since Zip Ties!
    Bitingdog and Rusty Rocket like this.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they changed.
    What sbout replacement pistons for the pre-2003 engines. Are they now cast ?
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

yours will probably last forever, it's a bullit proof motor when given the right considerations.
  15. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the things I've really come to enjoy over the years about mine is how trustworthy it is. New at the start of the '18 season, it has flawlessly carried me wherever I've taken it, without fail. The trust is the foundation of the destination reward, knowing I can just go "there", and get back.
  16. 911

911 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most problems are do to operator error and modifications
  17. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Nickelmine riding area in Hope, B.C.

Endless trails, from flowing singletrack to "OMG is that even rideable?"

Fun times with The Punisher and some fast feckerzzz 20210906_122625.jpg 20210906_122502.jpg 20210906_122830.jpg IMG-20210905-WA0006.jpeg

Rode a buddy's tx300 with MX-Tech enhanced Aer forks and revalved shock. Absolute love :knary

Makes me think that an XC will be in my future
  18. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I was honestly worried when I added a 300 to the collection. I hade done it all on my 500 so really needed some versatility in a moto.
    I'm not just a single track snob. But when I go out west for the summer I run it all. Passes, ATV trails, Jeep roads and obviously my true love the skinny gnar.
    I was pleased to discover that the new TPI machine did just fine in all those conditions. Here's a look at a run up a high mountain Colorado pass that included some massive rock sections.

ChasM, BikePilot, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  19. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Your riding budz look like a ton of fun. And I already like Canadians. And your trails are steeper too. Keep posting those great photos for those who don’t have anything like it nearby.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your video. I really enjoyed the climb from my armchair drinking strong coffee. It ‘s worth noting that the TPI system worked flawlessly constantly adjusting for changes in altitude. The motor sounded great. It’s a different story with carb bikes, although the Lectron seems to manage better than other carbs. I have appreciated the mpg increase seen with TPI also when dual sporting. I could consistently get 80 miles out of a stock fuel tank, on one occasion almost 90 when ridden carefully for maximum distance. 60-70 was what a carb would deliver, and worse when going up 5000’ in elevation. And you look nothing like your thumbnail.
    Bitingdog and Colemanfu like this.