The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. My 125 looked like that after cold seize but tested at 195 psi. Also felt "off".
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Haven't pulled it out yet, but suspect clutch side. The odd whiff of transmission oil when starting it hot, occasional racing idle.

Bike has been boiled in the gnar a few times, which tends to cook them.

*Just put it off amongst work, kids, elderly parents, and a moody wife.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  3. 911

911 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay
    I installed the tusk fan kit with temp gauge.
    It works really well.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. 911

Oddometer:
    I did not expect this tire to perform well because it's about $60 and made in china.

But the tusk recon has a gummy compound and works really well.

They run on the big side.

Was running a dunlop 803 trials.

230 miles on it in the photo
    20211009_153747.jpg
    alvincullumyork, cal08 and Bitingdog like this.
  5. vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went down one in the front on my 250 xcw and its perfect for me riding enduro style stuff. Took a bit more off the top than I would have liked but its amazing to have 2nd and third for the hill climbs.

Later this year when I put my 300 kit on... 2018 carb bike so I can do that ;) Ill have to figure it all over again.
    MadM likes this.
  6. vtwinjunkie

Oddometer:
    I really like the recon as well. They do well on small bits of road, as well as gravel forest roads and seem to last a long time! Diddnt work well for me in enduro type stuff but decent.
  7. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a 2020 XC rear fender will mount up to a 2020 XC-W minus the underfender/license plate holder? Asking for a friend who looped it......:doh
  8. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i thought i liked the recon at first. it was an improvement from the stock AT81 but didnt like it after a while. wouldnt hook on anything wet and would spin quite a bit on rocks
    yes. i pulled both my lights off and put xc panels
    TrailBreak likes this.
  9. N8

Oddometer:
    This might be a dumb question but why would you think tranny side crank seal failure would have caused that issue? I have ridden a couple bikes with leaking tranny side crank seals and never seen it do anything like that.
  10. vtwinjunkie

Oddometer:
    Yep they should be the same minus the mounts for the rear brake light holder piece.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  11. vtwinjunkie

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with rocks and lack of traction in areas that I needed it but for gravel riding or light easy trails it is ok. I decided on two sets of wheels so that I could have these for times when I diddnt want to eat up my VE33s 's
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I just put one on the 300 to try out, I've been running it @ 8psi. Its got a big footprint for a 110 tire.

So far its only seen desert, out there any fresh knobby works pretty well so I'm not sure what I think about it. Price was right though.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. 911

Oddometer:
  14. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    I tried a Tusk gummy, and it had decent traction when perpendicular to the rock, but it would let go quick if leaned over.

Also felt a bit spooky on the fast sections, even at 12 psi. It looks like a very soft sidewall that doesn't really work with the tread?

I ruled it as "not ready for prime time". Prefer (in no particular order) the Kenda, Shinko, IRC, and Dunlop gummies. But I'm also a bit of a tire slut, so take it with a grain of salt.

:rofl
  15. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    That was the prevailing wisdom, but possible it's the other side? Just guessing. But that suggestion was from our local two-stroke race engine builder. I did run the piston way too long also, FWIW

Whizzelberry school of maintenance...
  16. N8

Oddometer:
    I think that'd be the other side indeed.
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Did it seize on the last ride? I'm skeptical about the clutch side seal also, more likely the ign side. When the RH seal goes out it will typically smoke like no tomorrow, at least till it burns down the tranny fluid below the seal level. But...if the tranny oil was low enough it's possible and you might not have that. I'd look closely at the crank bearings also to see if there's any play, some 250/300s have had them fail, some due in no part to how it was ridden or maintained, just a few bad parts. Leaky seals are one of the symptoms, most other air leaks could cause a similar failure.

I'm curious BD, did you check to see how much coolant was in the radiator when you drained it? Or have you had to add any coolant recently. The "getting real hot" a couple times is what points me in that area, a blown head oring can cause a similar seizure and is usually caused by overheating. Many times all you'll notice is the bike's running is a little off right up till it siezes. It's because when that happens there's no coolant circulating in the system to turn the fan on so it sits there fat dumb and happy till it melts down. Sometimes you'll be able to smell it as parts on the motor get toasty, it'll be pretty obvious, coolant is very low or out and the damage will be visible on the inner head o-ring.
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  18. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go on, spill the beans,how many hours on the piston.

I think I speak for everybody on the internet when I say that we will be real nice about it :photog
    Bitingdog, Anatoli and Rusty Rocket like this.
  19. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you have the cover off play with the fly wheel. Any movement of the fly wheel and its crank bearing time.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. 911

Oddometer:
    Hopefully less than 400 !!
    Bitingdog likes this.