The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    BD measures in dog years.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you calling the Recon a gummy? Because you stated a soft sidewall and the Recon has a very stiff sidewall IMO.

I bought a set of Recon's for my son's 200exc because they were cheap. We recently did a week of very rocky riding in Cloudcroft, NM. Afterward the Recon's were still like new and my AT81's were chunked and destroyed.

So I bought a set for my 300i and will be installing with bib mousse's for my ride trip next week. Thinking/hoping the stiffer sidewalls might play well with the bibs.
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Finally got back out on my 300 after 12 weeks. I had (I thought) injured my back and kept waiting for it to get better. Finally went to the orthopedic shop for a diagnosis. It's not injured, its arthritis.
    So, back on the bike for an easy trail ride, 60 miles total, about 20 of it pavement between areas and glad to find out, I can still do it mostly pain free.:clap
    Getting old sucks. Next time I should go to the Doctor earlier and not waste most of the summer "thinking" I'm injured.
    Did I mention that I love my 300 :-)
    Bitingdog, Scoutin Wyo, MadM and 5 others like this.
  4. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    It’s not just your imagination, Rusty. If you don’t use it, you lose it once past 60. I try to ride every other day, that way I have a recovery day in between. Last week I pushed too hard, riding 5 of 7 days. Recovery time is extended to two or three days. But a handful of my buddies have managed to injure themselves in the last week: their recovery time will be 3-11 weeks depending on what broke. That is a lot of lost riding time. And worse, they lose their conditioning while laid up. I have about 170 hours on the dirt bike so far this year, and usually hit 200 easily. You can’t do that if you keep hurting yourself.
  5. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn i wish i had the time like that..36 hours in 2 years.
  6. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I retired 8 years ago at 60. There are lots of ways to spend your remaining time. Every day is a gift. I value time on the mountain with friends more than most of the other choices. The fact that it keeps me sane and fit is an added bonus.

I met a man years ago in Palo Alto who built and flew a small airplane at 72. He told me he wasted 15 years playing golf when he could of been following his passion. That bit of advice resonated with me.
  7. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we are the same age (68). I was fortunate to retire at 57-1/2, ten and a half years ago. I wasn't totally sidelined for 12 weeks, as I kept dualsporting on my DR650. Just was really missing my 300. Now that I know I didn't injure myself and I won't be doing damage, I plan to ride a lot more.
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  8. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    37E7BFDD-9C3A-4E81-9335-D8BAD7177756.jpeg

2E4AAE63-6C8A-4C73-82E8-5D955FFDF5FE.jpeg

2036A02F-CFCD-4110-A339-E9B9437B5C80.jpeg

More goat napping. This is on the new Trauma Center trail. As it is incomplete, we had to get back up this slope in order to go home. Some creative engineering using sticks and stones was required. This is no country for old men.
  9. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a recon with a mousse. Never had to blame it for my lack of talent. Nitro offers 2 different size bibs for the same 110/100 recon. All depends on rim width and your reading ability to purchase the proper one.
  10. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I took the 300 out to find an area where I might be able to carve out some single track. Found a series of rocky/shale ridge lines with some nice valleys in between and I think this might be a good place. Unfortunately summer is approaching and it will be to hot out here soon so it will have to be a project for next year.
    [​IMG]
  11. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    I found this nice little spring in one of the valleys
    [​IMG]
  12. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks a little like New Mexico in that without water, things grow so slowly that basically after you ride over a path 3 times, congratulations, now there's a trail there for the next 10 years.
  13. LC8TY

Oddometer:
    It hardly ever rains here but when it does, it pours. Normally in summer when there are tropical cyclones a little to the north.
    We have great 4x4 tracks that can be ridden for days but it would be nice to have some single track
  14. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I got the correct one. Originally I bought the bib for my still good OEM AT81 but that tire got shreaded by rocks before I installed the bib. Luckily the Recon requires the same size.
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    You bet. You can have so much fun riding trails in the desert. Then stop for a minute and think, "I cannot imagine a single other reason for anybody to come here."
    Long may they stay uninhabited.
    steved57, Bitingdog, LC8TY and 2 others like this.
  16. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the seizure happened on a brief 3 mile street ride back to my friend's house early June. I was on the pipe, as I'd had a slow & gnarly ride all day, and felt that a little thrust would be nice. (More for me than the bike)

As the revs were midway through the power band in 5th, the engine bogged. I pulled the clutch, engine stalled. Took two kicks to restart it, and it felt fine. But I knew it was time for a refresh soon.

It wasn't burning coolant as far as I can tell, and radiator was full before pulling it apart. I had on day in 2019 where the radiator was nearly empty though, but that was after a few boils during a weekend of ledges and gnar that were way above my skill set.

For many months, when hot starting it I can smell some ATF burning, and sometimes when really grunting up some nasty old creek bed type of thing. Bottom end feels tight, but I haven't checked end play or anything.

Ignition side crank seal requires a case split, right? And if it's leaking probably needs main bearings. Probably beyond my skill set, and since separating from Fee I don't have a workshop/garage to do it in. I'm just too old to do this stuff in my kitchen! IMG_20211018_143357.jpg
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  17. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Probably 250-300? But gentle hours, real gentle...:imaposer
  18. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    It was the Tusk gummy, when they first came out they were on special at RMATV for about $50. I didn't like it, something about how the tread interacted with the sidewall. Just didn't feel confidence inspiring for me. Doesn't mean it's bad, doesn’t mean it doesn't work for you. Just didn't work for me. I sold it to another rider for $30 after one day's use, so it was a cheap experiment for me.

Tires are incredibly subjective!

Currently loving the Shinko 525 in the 120 size, and the VE33 in 110. Up front I like the m59, Starcross 5 hard, and Shinko gummy fatty during the rain season. The Michelin is incredibly good on rocks, and lasts a long, long time
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The bottom end is incredibly stout, the situation I described was the occasional 250/300 with defective brgs, wasn't allot of them and nothing different then some of the other brands went through. It sometimes showed up as seizing. You can swap both seals w/o splitting the cases, there's probably a video out there showing it. When you in there with the seals you can check the crank bearings.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    180 hrs. and counting on my 2013 300xc.
    99% of my riding is in the low rev, mucho torque part of the power band.
    I use Amsoil Dominator at 50:1.
    Hoping for 250 hrs before tear down.
    :pope
    Anatoli, MadM and Bitingdog like this.