The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks RF, I'll check it out

Missing my bike! :(
    North ride likes this.
  2. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could always channel your inner jack and the beanstalk and snatch up that Scorpa while the giant is sleeping. I’m also running the 525 but in the 110 on a 06 300. Just about 25 hrs and it could definitely stand to flipped around. I’m not much of a spinner but I think by 40 hrs it’s gonna be plenty haggard.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    The 120 seems to hold up better than the 110 in the 525 Cheater for some reason.

Really tempted to grab my own cheater bike, as it sure is a gnar slaying machine. I can rip it better on the T-Ride than an X-Trainer
  4. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top tip if you are feeling adventurous and need to get into the bottom end you don't need a case splitter on these bikes. A couple light taps and the cases fall away from each other.

20171013_191049.jpg

20171013_191102.jpg
  5. 911

911 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    170h on my 2013, still on factory piston. Thinking about pulling it apart over the winter and installing a fresh factory B (II) piston. It slips backwards quite a lot on hillsides, even with high-comp S3 head. I thought about compresion testing it, but don't really trust those cheap testers.
    Bitingdog and Rusty Rocket like this.
  7. 911

911 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every 40 hours or so I pull my exhaust pipe and look at the piston and bore for any wear or anything unusual.

Around 150 to 200 hours is a good interval for piston replacement if easy normal riding.
    Rusty Rocket, Bitingdog and MadM like this.
  8. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could call that a hard stop and not a crash and not lie. :D
  9. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we are sharing bloopers, here is mine from last weekend. I cancelled that DS ride and went out with my extreme enduro friends and after 4h of torture my 300 had enough of me and wanted to continue alone :D :D

10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started with a $25 compression tester which read 75 PSI on a 300XC that was running fine, which is absurd.
    So I sent that back and got a Mityvac tester, which was still only like $60 and reads 150 which is at least plausible with a stock head at my elevation.

But anyways... I think the main point is not absolute accuracy but simply consistency - getting a reading with a fresh piston, and then checking periodically with the same gauge to ensure compression hasn't dropped significantly.
    Bitingdog, MadM and ChasM like this.
  11. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made the same mistake years ago. Mityvac 5530 FTW!
    greasyfatman, Bitingdog and MadM like this.
  12. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    0F74AAD6-1C5E-4807-A051-C1878576D944.jpeg
    Autumn in the mountains is my favorite. 7C8FBC13-01E2-44C1-81FB-79C59D6EF865.jpeg Cleared this trail in May. Stayed that way besides this one. Squishy seat and sharp chain puts a smile on my face.
  13. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Still rippin’ it in his 80th year. Bruce the Legend is back on his bike after a painful crash 6 weeks ago. An unredeemable farkler, he modded his 2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI with the injector relocation kit. This produced the advertised results of snappier off idle throttle response and more power. The hit is now like an MX bike, great for the holeshot but not the preferred setup for steep slippery gnar. Even fitted with a Rekluse Radius CX auto clutch and LHRB this thing is a wild animal. Riding it up a ramp to load it in a truck is dangerous. Bruce has countered with a green powervalve spring and the stickiest rear rubber currently available, the IRC JX 8 Gekkota on Tubliss at 4 psi. Once you open the door to Farkletown there is no going back.

54B676EC-A70C-46E9-B2C3-5BBFE077DE25.jpeg

Bruce wanted to see what all the fuss was about at the latest extreme build, the Trauma Center trail. A 12 mile approach followed by a steep one mile hike brought us to the high point on the trail, a narrow ridge crest at 3000’.
    The ancient original forest is untouched here, spared the loggers ax. Fallen giants up to 12’ in diameter litter the forest floor, many others remain still standing. This photo gives some idea of just how steep and rugged the terrain is. The trail will make a descending switchback across this slope to land at the small pass visible below. It remains to be seen if anyone will be able to make the climb up.

87EF4FCD-E765-4A10-959D-7291FB8FBFD4.jpeg

I share this story in the desire to encourage others to rise above all the common restraints of contemporary life and reach out and attempt something remarkable. Don’t let age or body aches define who you are or what you can accomplish. You already own the World’s best hard enduro machine. Saddle up and ride. Every day is a gift. What are you doing with yours?

A01873B2-8341-4DC6-A8FE-9A76AFB260B2.jpeg
  14. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today 1F69AB7B-A58B-45CE-A15C-F13420B916CA.jpeg
    Went to this guys hard enduro course. Not the best time to try out the red spring. Those trails really highlight all the faults in my technique. Climbing:C. Braking:D. Weighting the outside peg:F Downhill log hops:F Bull dogging:B.
    Fun afternoon.
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here seen a good steering damper setup that would work with xtrig clamps/kyb A kit forks? I picked up the forks and clamps but haven't fitted yet b currently running stock forks/clamps and a Scotts in a BRP sub mount. I'm not crazy about mounting the damper on top of the bars ... 2019 TX300.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd call BRP and ask them if you haven't already, you may only have to buy a base for that upper triple.
    BikePilot likes this.
  17. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just swapped red in and screw flush...might be making too many changes at once, haha. Tbi and red.

Plus some suspension changes.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a red and flush man myself. The bike became very controllable and predicatble as a result, contrary to my expectations and assumptions.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the better things I've done for myself is to make the various enduro schools in my area a regular part of my season. In retrospect I really enjoy reflecting on my development, along with the complexity of the lines and problem solving skills that have opened up to me as a result of being schooled. It's a good investment.
    Rusty Rocket and Bitingdog like this.
  20. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear. Can see the "hit" with yellow and stock screw setting in the chart below. Which is what im coming from

Courtesy of JamesDean:

Attached Files:

cal08 likes this.