The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I like using the easy to modulate torque in the gnar, but I like having some crazy when I get on it in the flow
  2. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As ive been getting used to the bike/getting better (i like to think) more power hasnt been causing such an issue
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. MotoDane

MotoDane 1/4 liter carb eater

Oddometer:
  4. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden the KTM but the only bike that every came close to scaring the shit out of me was a KX500
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd do one then the other for that very reason, you might like one thing and not the other and it's impossible to tell each mod's individual effects. Similar to jetting, one change at a time.
  6. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    True. I could swap pv springs later in the day.
    Bitingdog and RideFreak like this.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thats better than nothing. When you were adding the relocation block I was going to ask you if you had already tried the red spring, it really livens up the bike in a good way, comes on earlier and the power is more linear, you don't feel the hit as much not that the TPI has a big hit. I've not tried it on this bike though.
  8. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6E3ACD14-D53E-4D64-A087-3B0D97A89B2C.jpeg
    6+ hrs driving for 5 hrs on trail covering 18 miles. 706DB2C1-6DD4-49EA-B01C-938B942A2B31.jpeg
    In case anyone was wondering if I actually rode the bike and not just take pictures of it in scenic places on the kick stand.
    Somebody left their waterproof pants at home. Minimal rain but tons of moist foliage which Klim Dakar pants proved to be no match for. Also, if you’ve been contemplating an aftermarket squishy seat I give you permission to open your wallet and hit the “pay now “ button. They’re amazing.
  9. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    340762E5-A0CD-4E48-A934-1A5E20282ED4.jpeg

8E3EDC3C-278A-4C80-8750-E7AF7661126D.jpeg

Not all my riding buddies are old. Or male. A strong Pacific storm didn’t prevent this young woman from testing out her new 300 on a new trail. She rides where I can’t. Today she won first place in class in our last regional race of the season. Please support our younger riders. They are the future of our sport.
  10. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Great seeing women enjoying our favorite sport/pastime/obsession.

So much about riding plays to a woman's strengths, including mental processing speed, ability to multitask, lighter weight, and determination.

Great to see you doing your part to foster a spirit of inclusiveness.

Yer good people Garth. Respect
    MadM, thejrod and Anatoli like this.
  11. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Scoutin Wyo and Bitingdog like this.
  13. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then... I just put down a wait list deposit on a 2022 TPI 300 XC-W.

I already put together my accessory shopping list, which includes an autoclutch. While visiting at the parts counter, he showed the the KTM branded autoclutch. It's about half the price of the full Rekluse, partly because it does not require a new clutch cover.

Has anyone had experience with this clutch?

With the autoclutch, I will also be adding a left hand rear brake. Debating between the Rekluse, Ox hydraulic, or Ox mechanical. Any experience with these? My current 300 has an early Rekluse, but it's really just a rebranded MTB brake and seems to constantly be suffering from air in the system.
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Has anyone added a kickstarter to their new 300? I'm a belt, suspenders, and belt kinda guy. With the auto clutch, I would like the piece of mind to kick start. Yeah, I can adjust the clutch to bump start, but that's kinda of a hassle.
  15. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    yes. its easy
  16. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I have '21 and love it. I also have the Rekluse RadiusCX with LHRB.

Was not even aware that KTM had one. Got any details? Part number, etc? Would love to research.

I have the latest gen Rekluse LHRB. It works for me, but it can be a real PITA to bleed. I hear good things about the OxBrake.
  17. waterman28

waterman28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    had an OX cable brake on my 05 300 , I wasnt too impressed with it. Seemed like it didnt have the stopping power I wanted. Even with that said it was better than nothing for hill
    management and unloading out of my pickup down the ramp.
  18. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't have the PN, but will find out.

I'm told that the Radius is the top end clutch, but I don't fully understand the difference from the 3.0. Do you know?

My original Rekluse LHRB was a mountain bike component. It would need bleeding as the pads wore because of the tiny sealed reservoir. Once properly bled, does your keep working without issues?
  19. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAE9FFE3-36DE-4856-AE2E-9108E756A94B.jpeg
    anybody see any reason why I shouldn’t buy this head? 2 hr drive so I’d be so very sad if there’s something obvious I’m missing. Thanks. Joe
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you will need fresh Inner sleeve to head cover Viton gaskets, which may be a pain to get. Otherwise it will likely leak coolant if you use the old ones. I will pm the sizes for you. Factor that into your decision. Don't know much about buying used, but I am 100 percent happy with mine as a product. Really happy with it, actually. My bike can loop in any gear, it climbs like a goat. It runs cooler and I get better fuel range. It felt like I added another 100 cc's to the motor. It gets a the rare trifecta of would recommend, would buy again and best bang for the buck from me. There is also that Aussie outfit, Two Stroke Performance, whom does the same. Might be worth a look to round out the decision.

It could be cleaned up a bit better. It's an easy thing for a seller to do and, to me at least, indicates the seller may be less concerned with maintenance. That is 100 percent speculation, but that is the conclusion I draw from your pic. If you talk to him and you get a good vibe, the price is right, I assure you it's a solid piece of kit and delivers everything the manufacturer says.

Also, as these are custom built to client specs, I would try to get a handle on what criteria was used for the build. You should also get a sense of the guys abilities to install to spec - you can warp heads if you don't follow the instructions. My 2 cents.

Edit: this product is really well built, so I would doubt very much if there is anything wrong with it. Good vibe, good price, no damage, scratches on mating surfaces that could lead to a leak, and mating surfaces are flat and true, well, you will like having it. You will need new gaskets. Not costly, but maybe wherever you live they don't have them hanging around nice and easy like a walk in store.

If you do get it, on install, turn it upside down, place your gaskets and gently place the inner sleeve, careful not to move or dislodge the gaskets. Keep it together for install by screwing in a spark plug/large washer assembly to temporarily sandwich the two together so you won't dislodge the tiny gaskets as you set it in place. One small one moved a smidge and it leaked for a bit until I found new gaskets, an avoidable pain in the butt. Hope that helps.
    Jodaddy likes this.