THE KWIK-MART KHRONICLES

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdrocks, Apr 6, 2018.

1. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know a guy who says he was an astronaut, & another who is a pearl diver!
    rubline likes this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    we were free range kids way back when, and there was never a kid on an old fat tire Schwinn who would ride past a bottle with a 2cent deposit. bubble gum with a baseball card was a penny, full size candy bar cost a nickle, bottle of Coca Cola was a dime. we had xray vision for bottles in tall grass.
  3. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    Ditto!
    JagLite likes this.
  4. ben2go

ben2go I am Ben! Hear me snore!

Oddometer:
    I used to do the bottle trade for coin when I was a kid. Later I started doing ali cans by the pound. I could make a couple hundred dollars a summer before my area started building up. Drunks and teenagers used to love riding around the countryside tossing cans out their windows. I would ride around the peach and apple orchards looking for campsites and bond fire sites to hit the mother lode on cans. Unfortunately, all that is gone now and there are rich people housing developments everywhere.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i have a cousin in Michigan where the deposit on cans and bottles is 10cents...he said the kids can't be bothered to pick them up, too much work i guess.

the guy in the Yukon mentioned that he used the can/bottle money he accumulated throughout the year to fly the whole family down to a warm weather winter vacation somewhere in Mexico or the Caribbean. he was picking up lots of cans every day, and had already picked up a big sack of them the morning i met him.
    JagLite, joenuclear and ben2go like this.
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as their parents hand out money the kids won't do anything to earn money.
    A bad start to life when they are raised to get handouts.
    Many parents make life more difficult for their children by making it too easy for them.
    DKCJ, nk14zp and ben2go like this.
  7. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling on kids. I have a grandson who is at the crossroads..... took him on his first motorcycle trip this week, not to drag traffic to my thread but if anyone is interested its in rickyg's arizona adventures. Anyhow he hasnt been acting right and punishment wasnt working. Finally took him on a trip so he can see what big bohs get to do.... seemed a different kid by the time we finished 598 miles.

20180716_122314.jpg
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    it's almost like you roll the dice on kids these days, i have not been successful in discovering a magic formula that guarantees a favorable outcome. you do your best and hope for the best.
    DKCJ, JagLite and ben2go like this.
  9. ben2go

ben2go I am Ben! Hear me snore!

Oddometer:
    I tried with my oldest. He wants to get rich for just being present at a job. When he works. His mother did stuff to cause problems between my son and myself. Her family made sure of it. We ultimately had to send him to a military based reform school.

She left me when she found out she was with child, I believe to make things difficult on me. I annulled our marriage soon after.

My current situation though has proven to be pretty ok. My youngest son seems to be pretty well adjusted. He only works when it directly benefits him. He does well in school and has really committed to JROTC to the point that his ultimate goal is to join the Air Force. He could graduate high school next year at age 16 but he wants to stick it out with his class the full four years.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the late 70's/early 80's, my brother used to ride around on his moped with a big black trash bag picking up aluminum cans. He made quite a bit of money doing it that way. He waited until he had a huge load before he put them all in his truck and took them to the recycler. There were days I would see him come back 3 or 4 times to get a new bag and go right back out.

He found all sorts of stuff putting around slowly looking in the ditches. He usually made a few hundred dollars every summer collecting cans. He did this until he was old enough to get a job and then still did it sometimes for the extra money.
    ben2go, JagLite and rubline like this.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    pop bottle story from the early 50s...

i'd been picking up bottles for a couple days to save up money for a big box kite purchase, and had them stored in the garage using one of those wooden Coke cases with the dividers. the garage door was open, and the neighborhood delinquent came by and stole my bottles, crate and all. my father called the store, sure enough, the kid had just redeemed a crate of bottles. a call to the police, and an officer went to his house and picked him up, then to our house to settle the issue. the 18yo payed up, then got the "no second chance" speech from the cop. strange deal to be facing arrest for stealing 48 cents worth of bottles.

stealing $480, $4800, or $48000 in year 2018 probably gets you probation.
    JagLite, rubline and ben2go like this.
  12. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    The Khronicles were great, any more planned?
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    there are more, they'll go up when i get some time.
    B10Dave, JagLite and slacker1965 like this.
  14. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    13 min video of the trip my grandson and I took

15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Niece's K M Khron -

Recently divorced living on the Ark/Mo border, Engineer, very well proportioned. The pickings in the man supply dept. is slim down there, she calls it 'cave man land'. She has a good job in a small town, owns a Dodge diesel 4x4, expert bow hunter, gets her dear every year. She's standing in line at the Kwik-Mart with a 6-pack, wearing camo's, front's covered in deer blood, probably not smelling too good.

He: Dat your truck?
    She: Yup
    He: Dat yer deer?
    She: Yup
    He: Will you marry me?
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that's a good one to start with if she was into writing things up. unfortunately for smart and capable young women today, there's slim pickin's everywhere, and that situation often leads to some bad decisions.

my free advice for the young ladies out there, if the guy is not smart, loyal, hardworking, and of exceptional character when you first meet him, you're highly unlikely to remedy these deficiencies...like not even a little.
    DKCJ, Dirtmonkey8, tlub and 3 others like this.
  17. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^Absolutely true^
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    OMG...more Khronicles
    JagLite, rubline, 16VGTIDave and 2 others like this.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    ?
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    90 of the darn things wasn't enough?

i have piles of note books from years and miles of travel, i should put up a few more.