THE KWIK-MART KHRONICLES

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdrocks, Apr 6, 2018.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    90 is what I would call a good start....:D
    JagLite likes this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    man, tough crowd in here...

ya have to be in the right frame of mind to capture these Khronicle things and do them justice, i'm gettin' close.

i ran into a guy last week whose father was around my jobsite on 9/11 and remembered his father mentioning that he had just seen the biggest human being residing in the Commonwealth. he didn't know the name Mudslide, or Slide, just reported that the guy was freakin' huge.
    JagLite and joenuclear like this.
  3. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second that.

All in favor ? Aye.

Keep me coming jd. they are gold.
  4. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have more, please keep them coming. I have a great time reading them.

Some sound suspiciously like some things I've seen before too. I think everybody can relate in one way or another.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    if you were to encounter a woman choosing Passage d’Enfer as her everyday scent, you would have no doubt. likewise, if you were find an impossibly gorgeous and flimsily attired young lady wearing Rouge Pur Couture in “Red Alert” casually fueling her car, you would have no doubt there either.

many memorable characters in the Khronicles, and you might think i shouldn't be surprised to find another, but i always am.
    JagLite and joenuclear like this.
  6. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    Sorry JD you but you have created a bunch of Khronicles addicts, with as bad an addiction as some of the shifty-eyed characters you describe so well.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    yeah, i've run across plenty of folks where it'd be safe to bet your last dime that they had an outstanding felony arrest warrant hanging over their head.

by far the most fearsome individual from Khronicle lore was the French Canadian guy i met at the pumps in Alberta while traveling up the Forestry Trunk Road. he was the one who wanted to unload the quads from his truck between the pump islands just to demo the aluminum carrier deck system for me. black ink tear drops at the corners of his eyes, i tried to convey just how dangerous this man could be. i had the sense that he was cruising along the edge of the blade, any little thing could be the trigger, and he would be happy to try to kill you with his bare hands.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    I remember well your description of that guy. Having spent a fair bit of time in the east and north, I have come across a few characters that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up to high alert. Thankfully the vast majority of people are much less twisted...more like us ADV types, LOL.

Regarding the Khronicles book, I think it would do better than you might imagine. It won't end up on NYT bestseller list but there are enough people who would like it and the word would spread. I was involved in the motorcycle related publishing business a ways back and there are people who have done ok with MUCH less entertaining stuff in their entire book than you have in any one episode. It is your eye for details and ability to describe so well that it is like I'm looking at the scene with my own eyes. That is certainly not a common skill.
    Sometimes I'm laughing so hard and borderline choking that my next-ex asks me if I'm going to be ok.
    JagLite, Sledred and scout68 like this.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    riders or not, travelers or not, some people have highly tuned situational awareness, while others may not have the first clue about pending danger.

i was having a pleasant conversation with the man, but i was also studied enough to know a little about those solid black multi-tear tats at the corners of both eyes. truthfully, i enjoyed talking with the guy, but i wasn't standing there with my hands in my pockets either.

no doubt what so ever, if the guy who blew the horn had decided to get out of his truck for a little parlay, he would have gotten hurt. that's kinda what my danger meter was indicating...smiling one second, completely off the rails the next.

i wasn't joking about that handshake either. i have big hands, ain't nuthin' dainty about them, still...

as far as publishing, ya never know, those $1.99 ebooks have been mentioned.
    JagLite, rubline and B10Dave like this.
  10. DKCJ

DKCJ a life behind bars

Oddometer:
    "some people have highly tuned situational awareness, while others may not have the first clue about pending danger."

You absolutely nailed it right there. I am as aware when stopped as I am when riding. Some people skip through a minefield because they missed all the signs.

Speaking of missing signs, is there anybody at Kawasaki smart enough to figure out that you have build a pile of prototypes for them and that a production version of your bike would be a home run?? They need to forget the bs 'focus groups' and just well...Focus. OK rant over.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    seems logical that Kawasaki would build a bike to fit the 650-700cc slot, especially with other manufacturers already introducing new models in that displacement. KLR with the ptwin cop motor and the big suspension might end up similar to some features on the V649 bikes, heck, they're already using my abbreviated blade fairing. the motor has already been smogged, and they have all the rest of the parts on the shelf.
    JagLite, 16VGTIDave and DKCJ like this.
  12. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to write a Waffle/Huddle House Khronicle. I bet the same people would be there as well, based on my limited experience with those places.
  13. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't believe the stupidness that goes on at the waffle on a regular basis.
    That could be a good story line all on its own.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^travel means fuel, fuel means KwikMart, so that's the most available source for me. i'm not going off route for waffles, but if i happened on one of those places i might stop. i'm more of a western omelet with salsa and a good shot of Texas Pete type guy.
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya mean North Carolina Pete?

Get a rope! :hung
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    never heard of it, but Texas Pete is in cafes everywhere.

Cholula at the house for everyday use.
  17. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Texas Pete isn't made in Texas ...
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    it's just one of thousands of hot sauces, but has better market penetration than most. never tried it on waffles.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, the name is a misnomer. If the food needs salt I prefer Frank's Red Hot which I have tried on savory waffles. :dukegirl
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you the same guy that pours whiskey on his cornflakes?
    DKCJ likes this.