THE KWIK-MART KHRONICLES

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdrocks, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    four mumbo-jumbo posts by that dumbass, apparently he didn't exactly impress the ADV mods, they weren't entertained.
  2. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have no idea what onewizard did. But; I reread the prior three Khronicle pages and they are even better the second time around!
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    During the lockdown I'm sure a lot of us will be re-reading our favorite threads :(
    JRowland and Chip Seal like this.
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weirdest thing, I saw his 3 or 4 posts this morning,
    They were, meltdown was a good description.

Looking forward to them.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    one dopey wizard got redacted. i went back and started reading them myself, sure am glad i wrote about all those events, tough to do if you wait until long afterwards.
    Chip Seal and JagLite like this.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    aren't you the guy who forgets everything after 3 months, or am i thinking of someone else. if so, you can start right from the first Khronicle, it will be like a new book.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    "meltdown", there's a good description. for the visual, he's one of those guys on the wrong side of the fence in Walking Dead.
    DKCJ, JagLite, Traxx and 1 other person like this.
  8. roaddog12

roaddog12 Wait,what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    JD, thanks for the Khronicles. Some great story telling and brings back my own memories of 50 years of riding
    Might have to start putting pen to paper myself before I get to old and forget it all.
    Thanks again and ride safe
    btrrtlwtr and JagLite like this.
  9. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I've been pretty protected in my riding. I have not run into too many situations like these chronicles. I have seen some though.
    Keep them coming. I'm enjoying the read here.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't wait, start soon. it's never quite the same if you're not working from trip notes, but if you start an outline of a memorable event, the more you write, the more you remember.

glad you enjoyed the read.
    Chip Seal, JagLite and Traxx like this.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    even if you have no intention of writing a trip report, now or ever, i still recommend you keep trip notes, however abbreviated. i like steno pads, stiff cardboard covers, and a convenient size for moto travel. you might be surprised at how much you enjoy reading your own brief notes at a later date.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    an alert Khronicle reader has pointed out a numbering error in the sequence, so the Gaspe episode was 101, not 100. no idea how i got that screwed up.

i could write a long damn time about all that transpired during the 30+ hour ride which started at Perce Rock in the Gaspe and ended in northern Quebec.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really don't do anything worth writing up. Most of my riding is just around town. I find that the older I get, the less I can tolerate the cold so most is fair weather riding also. I might take a sunday afternoon and shoot up in the mountains for a little while once a year or so. Still want to ride my people 50 on the tail of the dragon one day.
    Taking some notes is a good idea especially for exceptional stuff like many of your chronicles. It all fades so fast if you don't have some notes or something to remind yourself.
    Traxx and JagLite like this.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    when you think about it, many of the Khronicles describe an event that someone else present at exactly the same time and place wouldn't even notice, or if they did, wouldn't consider unusual or remarkable. some events are relatable only in the context of what is going on with you at that particular moment, ok, now there's a story, or at least part of a story.

example...Khronicle 6, Miss Red Alert. i'm supposed to be riding NE on a long stretch of gravel, who knows how many miles, but now i'm riding south on pavement, the day totally upside down, and i'm thinking "Man, this sucks". stop for fuel to regroup, here's Miss Red at the pumps putting fuel in her sporty little car, seriously drop freakin' dead gorgeous, thigh high little summer dress fluttering in the breeze, and like i said "legs everywhere". lordy, i couldn't help but smile, the gloom and doom lifted a little, life got better...and now Miss Red Alert is in my notes for the day.

apparently i thought pretty highly of her that day, why not, she was as described, and then some more...

...heck, I might be 70, but I still had some wicked thoughts about that little Red Alert thing…

I walk forty-seven miles of barbed wire
    I use a cobra snake for a necktie
    I got a brand new house on the roadside
    Made from rattlesnake hide
    I got a brand new chimney made on top
    Made out of a human skull
    Now come on take a ride with me, Miss Red
    And tell me, who do you love?

observation and note taking are symbiotic. writing to a travel log makes you a better observer, and as you become a better observer, you produce better notes. better notes make a better read, round and round ya go, easy.
    B10Dave, Traxx, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be someone else, I forget everything after three days. :fpalm
    Usually I can't remember yesterday. :dunno

My wife and I enjoy watching the TV show "The Amazing Race" (the only TV show I watch actually) and we go through all 30 seasons, then start back with season 1 again.
    We just started season 1 (for the 4th time!) on Friday and neither of us remembers who wins. Maybe this time someone else will win? :hide
    We can laugh about it, and do all the time, asking each other; "Do you remember this team?" Nope. :confused

Yes, I can read all of your Kronicles again, I won't remember much of some of them and none of most I'm sure.
    I've read books recently that I didn't realize I had read last year until I got 3/4 of the way through and then I will remember something and know I have read it already but I have to finish it because I won't remember how it ends if I don't.

Isn't life strange... as the song says? Was that the Moody Blues? I think so... :scratch
    I'm sure I listened to that recently and I do have a number of their albums.
    Traxx and JRowland like this.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i had the right guy, just the wrong memory interval. your memory must make exceptions, after all, you remembered to stop back in here for a little entertainment.

don't feel bad, by the time Monday rolls around, lots of guys would like to forget about what happened on Friday night.
    MickeyDee, B10Dave and JagLite like this.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 102

Fuel required, and up pops a sign for another Love’s, this time with an attached Subway, perfect. I needed the bread that was wrapped around one of them footlongs to soak up all the lard I ate for breakfast, just a comforting theory, but it better work quick, that morning biscuit was about to go through me faster than flippin'’ fatback an'‘ greens.

While pumping the fuel, I noticed a little sign that said 20% biodiesel, who knew, might explain the poor fuel economy from the last tank of Love’s, even if the exhaust didn’'t smell like deep-fried chicken. I talked briefly with a guy interested in the bike, “"That’'s a dual use isn'’t it?”". See, even the general public knows about this stuff, but then he had a Minnesota plate on the car, and those folks are supposed to know just about everything.

Into Subway, I was halfway through my order when a guy walked up, geeeeez, the mouth breather dude invaded my personal space, even the gal taking my order was shaking her head, suppressing a laugh. The guy was wearing a designer wife beater, way too short and way too tight nylon running shorts showcasing the junk, and mandles. The thing that looked like it was glued to his noggin might have been a blond porcupine, long dead. Don’'t forget the cologne, pour a few drops of that stuff on one of them fire ant mounds they got around here and it would kill every one of them suckers stone dead.

Oh boy, welcome to Texas. Gimme some room buddy, and as I rolled my shoulders around some, no subtlety, he jumped back five feet. When his turn, the guy placed a duplicate of my order, and I do mean exactly and precisely the same…. I think I’'ll eat my sub at the truck, outta nut case range, give him time to head back to the salon.

The weather was perfect for the parade of yoga pants marching around, the national uniform that bans boredom from the casually observant, and if ever there was ever a fashion trend, it was to make sure the thong was color coordinated. I’'m happy to report that these Texas gals were very current in that regard, including the one that was washing the windshield on sugah daddy’'s new Corvette, daddy himself looking on with approval. She was something, for sure, didn'’t mind doing a little looking on myself as she stretched herself across the front of that car. I was thinking, damn big Brembos on that thing, looks kinda sulky, or something like that.
    Snapper33, MYUMPH, JagLite and 9 others like this.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 103

There are several small tracks that branch off this road, each one bleeding traffic from the main route, and I was picking my way along, sometimes on the main road, sometimes on the short bypasses that had been created to avoid particularly bad rocky sections. I stopped when the road conditions eased, maybe the worst was behind me, ya never know, but I was nearly five miles from Long Lake, …no Eduardo, couldn’'t hear a bike running either.

After waiting for awhile, I backtracked south, finding Senor Fast parked around the four mile mark, whew, I was hoping I wouldn'’t find the bike on the ground, Eduardo injured. He had stopped near one of the tracks that branched to the east, uncertain if I had gone straight, and also not enjoying the road conditions. When I told him that I thought I had ridden through the worst of it, but no guarantees, he said “"I'‘m not having fun, I’'m turning back south"”. Oh well, them’'s the breaks, and I led Eduardo back south to 87, a wolf running across the road near Hay Lake, yes, I’'m sure it was a wolf, then southwest to Clint’'s Well. I'’ll refuel, and find that big breakfast that I’'d been craving, then north.

[​IMG]

Senor Fast and I had a leisurely breakfast, the whole menu for me, coffee for him. The lively lookin' woman seated at the next table over was wearing a Dawson City T-shirt, appeared new, but she was there 14 years ago. She had done that sour toe thing at the hotel bar, had crossed the Top-of-the-World highway on gravel, and when I asked if she had her panties shot out of the cannon over at Chicken, she said “"No, but I might have"”, ok then, how about nailed to the ceiling in the saloon, "“No, but I should have”".
    MYUMPH, JRowland, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    THE KWIK MART KHRONICLES 104

Charlottesville had no particular appeal, been there, but the chosen meeting location turned out to be the Whole Foods store, now that I found interesting. Man, what a selection, seems they had a hundred varieties of anything you could eat or drink. I also found out what the lower half of me would look like if i ever had any hankering to wear yoga pants, either that, or a few of those women where shoplifting a dozen loaves of bread and stashed the goods where their ass should be located, yeeeeeow. Talk about a varied clientele, I’'m positive some of those people were once in the Manson Family, must be there for the organic labels.

Seeing that put a dent in my appetite, I should be cutting back anyway, and I ended up with just two oatmeal cookies and a latte. Two cookies sounds good, but I'’d seen smaller pizzas, ain'’t going to starve or nuthin'’, and I went over to pay. The pixie haired student-type cashier was wearing her Faliero Sarti scarf like they all do, and was pretty, …like pretty dangerous. Hope her old man has an open bar at the wedding, it will help the groom and the rest of the bros stumble through the ceremony, especially the part where the groom mumbles the vows. Prediction, she'’ll get the house, he'’ll get the toaster oven.

I went to hand over the money, and got a quizzical look, no big deal, I’'d been getting the same since the age of three. Then I saw her wrinkle her nose and sniff, dammit, it was that Passage d'’Enfer again, must be stuck to me like freakin'’ SuperGlue. She had a snarky smile, didn'’t say anything, but the message was clear, like, we’'ll just let this thing be our little secret. Powerful stuff from the French, too bad they'’ve never had as good a recipe for gunpowder.
    MYUMPH, B10Dave, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  20. cnmjr123

cnmjr123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JD, just finished reading the Khronicles in their entirety. Fantastic stuff. Very inspirational for this young buck with an itch to travel
    JagLite and Traxx like this.