The Land Between the Lakes and more!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DNFjoe, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Since I bought a DR 650 in 2004 I try to plan my wife and I's vacation around some dirt roads and off road fun.

This year we packed up and left the DC area to go to the Land Between the Lakes along the Tenn/Ky border.

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

After a leisurely drive of 2 days we picked a great cabin at a sailboat marina to call home for the next 2 nights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cabin had it all, a small kitchen, TV, a small deck with a view of the sun sets, It was great. It had it all, but that's not why we were here.

Living right outside DC I don't have many opportunities to ride offroad legally. So when traveling the DR650 comes along with our mountain bikes fishing poles and whatever else we want, or might want while away from home. We don't travel light, or travel by bike, bt lt's face it a DR650 is no way to two up tour. It does excel at letting a guy like me with limited offroad skills have a blast and fun adventure.

This is an example of a dirt road that can be found off of a gravel road with the Land Between the Lakes.
    [​IMG]

These roads can be found off any of the paved roads and can provide the feeling of really being alone somewhere in the middle of nowhere, but really only being a few miles from a main well traveled road.

Some roads dead end with a great view
    [​IMG]

Some bring you to some sacred grounds dating back to a time when this land was privately owned ans kept within a family for generations.
    [​IMG]

more to follow...
  2. carcher2k

carcher2k usually in a ditch...

Oddometer:
    good so far. I'm a sucker for a nice sunset, and thats a pretty good view!

:lurk
  3. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Besides the gravel and dirt roads that anyone can navigate, thet is an OHV area called Turkey Run OHV area. It boasts almost 100 miles of trails for the offroad lovers out there. Trails run every which way through the trees, hills, and valleys. There is more than one way to get to the tops of most ridges, some being easy, some not to easy.

a ridge top trail
    [​IMG]

Some of the trails are wide because jeeps and trucks used to be able to ride up through here, but I don't think that is permissible anymore.

[​IMG]

The camera does not do the elevation changes justice. even on the wider flatter portions there are ruts and bumps and some spots to catch some air, even if you aren't trying to.

I also need to mention there are water crossings and some mud puddles to play in. I was wet from the shins through to my socks more than once.
    [​IMG]

Here is an example of a rutted uphill trail portion to test your skills. again the picture does no show the real rougness of the spot.
    [​IMG]

Any easy trail to climb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to tell by this picture but there are many trails zig zagging through the trees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bike is stock except for the dunlop 606 tires and hand guards. I worked the hell ot of the clutch at times and mostly was in first gear except when on the wider flatter sections. I will be lowering the gearing on the bike with a bigger than stock rear sprocket this summer to make the tough parts less tough for me, and to save on the abuse of the clutch.

This place was paradise for me and my wife. Many of you that enjoy the outdoors, owe it to yourselves to check it out. Big bikes can do the dirt roads if you are willing to struggle on the gravel roads to get there. As for the OHV area, if you are skilled you could bring a big BMW anywhere I went, and if you lack skills like me, you can still have an amazing time off road as long as you pick the easier ways to get to where you want to be and ride a bike you comfortable with picking up. I only had to pickup the DR650 twice. That is a record for me.

This is the end of the off road riding part of the trip but not the vacation. more to follow.
  4. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    Hampton, Lexington, and Forks of Buffalo, VA
    we're heading to that area this year. Would you mind PM'ing me some info on that cabin you found? Looks like it would be great, especially since we'll have the canoe along.
  5. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    One thing I forgot to mention was that I spend an hour lost in the OHV area. I had a map of the trails and a GPS but still managed to be lost. While back tracking and criss crossing here and there trying to get out I saw wild turkey running around. I never was able to get the camera out fast enough, but was glad to see them. It was turkey season in the park and I was wondering how many hunters actually got a chance at seein gthe birds. I finnally did make it out and I had the GPS go blank because the batteries were dead. Had that been 10 minutes sooner I still would have been lost and struggling even more trying to get out.

some of the other stuff to see:

There is a homestead working farm there. 15 building, animals, and folks in period dress living life on the farm for you to see what it would have been like. The folks were very knowledgable and great to talk to. I wanted to skip this originally but an glad my wife forced me to go. It was really cool to see.

the main house on the farm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also a planetarium at one of the visitor's centers. The guy giving the show was a chacactor. He loves golf and the weather. The show was fun in a weird way.

There is also a nature center there where you can see some of what you may run into in the park. (pictures were taken with a cell phone so the quality is not that great)

Mr. Turkey
    [​IMG]

Birds of prey
    [​IMG]
    Nice hooters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other critters

[​IMG]
    The deer looked like a prisoner
    [​IMG]
    even a wolf
    [​IMG]

Outside the nature park there is an Elk and Bison range you can drive through for $3.00, we did it and saw both elk and bison, but it was not spectacular. The animals were all just laying around, no action or activity, so it was a bit boring. (More poor quality cell phone pix, we forgot our camera on this day and made due with what we had)

[​IMG]
    way off in the distance there is a heard of bison just laying around (the dark blobs)[​IMG]

There is also some big time fun fishing to be done in this area!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our time here ended and had one more destination before heading home.

Mommoth cave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While at the Mommoth cave park Miriam and I ran into some fellow ADVRiders. JohnBryer and Karl. John was wearing the ADVRIder shirt and I had to stop by to say hello. The shirts are a great way to identify and meet each other, I need to wear mine more. Good folks out and about enjoying the ride.

Well that sums up most all of the fun. Each year I am more amazed at the beauty and wonders here in the USA.

Joe

folks, that it enjoy.
  6. npoi

npoi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap Great shots. Went to school at Murray State and the LBL is a great area. If you like fishing, take a float tube and a fly rod, my favorite way to fish either Lake. Thanks for Sharing.
  7. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    This is definately the type of place to share memories with friends and family.
  8. Slopez22

Slopez22 skooter rider

Oddometer:
    .. your in the area mention it on here, I live 20 miles from there and love the roads. I was thinking of trying to get a ride together there. By the way, the roads are numbered, and to tell the difficulty of the road, it goes as such.
    The lower the number.. in the 100's the easier the road is.
    As they get higher, 300's and 400's the less they are maintained. I learned that when I was jeeping around there. I'm glad you all had a good time!
    Brian
  9. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Brian,

I mentioned it in a Jo Momma weather thread (tornados or something like that) as well as on another forum as well. With not knowing the area or my schedule with the wife, it would have been impossible to set something up for sure. I really enjoyed the OHV area. And now knowing what to expect I would definetely post in the regional section before returning looking to ride with some newly made friends.

Joe
  10. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    fantastic pics ...keep em coming :1drink
  11. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:

Try and put something together for that area! I bet with enough notice you might be surprized how far some folks may travel to enjoy the area with you.
  12. bikergirl

bikergirl Shalala...

Oddometer:
    yep, fantastic pictures!
    very well done!
    thx for sharing
  13. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    Yup. Your wife is cute. Is she happy with you, or does she ever long for a GS rider with proper 2 up capabilities ?

Grew up in the area and I just heard that a group from the "Chain Gang" F650 posting is pulling together a LBL ride this September. Hazy on details, a friend who still lives there is sending me info.
  14. astro

astro seek light

Oddometer:
    was this where you stayed ?
  15. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Yep that was it. we were in S5. Really great view and a a hot tub in the bedroom. It was $121 a night with tax though, so it was not the only place we stayed. Lake Barkley resort park was more wallet friendly at $60 a night with military discount. The rooms also had a deck overlooking the lake but no hot tub and the rooms were not as fancy. The Resort park is only 10 minutes outside the Land between the Lakes so it was really convienent. That is where we rented the boat at as well. 53 bucks for 2 out of state licenses, 12' or 14' boat with a 9.9 hp motor. that worked for us. They also had 2 sizes of pontoon boats for rent as well.

Joe
  16. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    yep I am a keeper to her, and we got the two up riding thing covered with a Suzuki Burgman 650 twin.:evil

Go there if you can, you will have a great time with the folks. It will be more fun sharing it (especially the OHV area) with other riders. and take pix of some mishaps, that is the beauty of going alone, no proof of me falling/dropping the bike twice.:wink:
  17. Subdivided

Subdivided Citizen of the World

Oddometer:
    Be sure and visit Patty's 1880's settlement in Grand Rivers, KY on the north end of the LBL when you are in the area. The food and atmosphere are great after a hard day's ride.

"In life, it does no good to own much more than you can carry on a motorcycle"

Sub
  18. birdawg

birdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DNF, Back in the day we used to do lots of riding in Quantico. Is that still a Go? If so it was some great riding. There is also Elizabeth Furnace ORV trails out past Front Royal.
    I have been gone from No. Va. for 3 years now, but went back for a week last fall to catch the early duck season. I couild not believe how much worse the traffic was. I went to see some friends and spent 6 hours to go a total of 120 miles.
  19. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Good report. :thumb After BYOB 1.0. I tried to suggest this area for the next BYOB and got shot down hard. this year, the vote was for Ky, but no one could come up with a destination. I'll remember this thread and link to it when the discussion for BYOB v5.0 starts next year.
  20. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    Received information that the K-T Riders in Cadiz, Ky are putting together an event in LBL in early Sept. I'm going to work at being there. Looks like the event is limited to 48 campsites @ Energy Lake Campground, but there are other campsites available in LBL (as well as lodging).

Contact on the ride is Ginny42211@Yahoo.com. Be aware that she is also soliciting for LBL Volunteers who do episodic trail maintenance with the KT Riders to win favor with the powers that be who open the Hiking Trail Network on a limited basis to dual sport rides.

Hey - DNFJoe - how 'bout a return visit? We promise we won't flirt with your wife. Much. Okay, okay, we'll behave like the gentlemen we are not. At least I will. Say, you aren't Navy are you?