The LC4 Skidplate Thread (and skidplates in general)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PackMule, Aug 28, 2006.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There was a KTM plastic one... pretty cheap as I recall, but probably plenty adequate for most of us.
  2. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:

Curious to see what you think of this skid plate...:ear
  3. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The LC4 plastic skid plate was too light........not good for rocky riding.

Gunner........that plate will be a pia if you leave those bloody mounts on that it comes with.......it should be easy enough to drill it and use the KTM mounts, so glad to see you are onto that already.

I like the Flatland plate.........or if you really want lots of protection, do what I did and installed a Rock Hard Rally Gear plate.......it even comes with two tool pouches.

Cheers
  4. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    Run the plastic skid plates. They slide better, are lighter, won't bend up, and don't deflect as much noise back.:norton
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Won't get to trying it out for a couple of weeks, hopefully the fit is good..

I see daddybigdaddy has the same skid plate for sale, his has a screen over the filter cutout... I was thinking of adding a chunk of Aluminum on the outside over the same spot as in my minds eye I can see a stick going through there taking out the spin on...

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I posted before, the KTM plastic skid plate is a useless waste of money for rocks. It is very thin, very flexible and good for little more than deflecting roost. I was so worried when I saw how flexible it was that I backed it with aluminum in front of that vulnerable oil filter and was glad I did. One weekend is how long mine lasted.

With aluminum a bit of foam between the skid plate and motor kills the noise very effectively. A dead blow hammer repairs any carnage. In the mean time your frame rails don't get flattened, the cases don't get gouged and parts don't get torn off. All of which happened running the flexible KTM plastic POS.

I have done two more of the rides that killed the plastic KTM part with the Flatlands. It is pretty gouged but all I had to do was beat one monster dent out of the bottom. It makes me cringe to think what the rock that puckered the Flatlands skidplate would have done to my engine with the plastic part.

There might be a decent plastic aftermarket skidplate somewhere, but the KTM one ain't it.
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  8. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would not the carbon fiber fracture and splinter on impact. Kevlar OK. But CF?
  9. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I have one of those on my bike; here's my review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1303093#post1303093

I didn't update the review; plate still on the bike; its got dings from rock hits but I've never hi-centered on a boulder or some such uber-hit.
  11. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if these skidplates will work on the 620adv with the low pipes... Mine has gone AWOL, and I'll need one.. However, from my memory and pics it seems as if the rhs has to have less of a...errr "wing" to accommodate the low pipes...
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I had some damn hard hits this last trip to Death Valley (well actually didn't leave Panamint Valley, but its all desert whoops with rocks, or just plain sand or rocks (maybe a dash of gravel if recently lain).

I'll update that thread soon with pics.
  13. JParanee

JParanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatland does a very nice job for a reasonable price

[​IMG]
  14. abhi

abhi XC on RE

Oddometer:
  15. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in a need of a skid plate, and while looking around, I have narrowed my choices down to TT skid plate or Carbon fibre one. A TT one looks a bit thin to me, but still better than KTM one. Also while looking around e-bay I found a used, though in good shape, carbon fibre one. And now I am in a dilemma what to get. I have seen that Lyndon Poskit is using a carbon one on his Races to Places bike.

Decisions, decisions....
  16. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    one thing to keep in mind about carbon,,,, its works great and is surprisingly strong right up till it breaks where alu will bend. so for racers carbon is a good thing and for us its a pretty good thing too, but alu will keep you protected if your on a long ride far from home or somewhere that can make a carbon repair.
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    If you are going to spend the money why not get a Flatland racing plate, those look to be the most heavy duty ones out there..
  18. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can's seem to find any of those (on the picture) plates, but the shipping and customs fee's might be a deal killer for me :cry
    [​IMG]

And on the flatland racing page is this small picture
    [​IMG]
  19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flatland is the one I was looking at, for the price it seems like a nice part.
    But the shipping overseas would probably add quite a few bucks.
  20. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    The KTM hard parts alloy plate on my 640-E has held up well, it has taken plenty of hard hits from rocks and logs...