The LC4 Skidplate Thread (and skidplates in general)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PackMule, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How thick is the KTM hard parts skid plate? Is it thicker than Touratech?

I have talked to Flatlands, shipping would be $56, and with import taxes the total cost would be around $180:baldy To bad cuz it is a really nice thick and strong skid plate (at least from the pictures).
  2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    $56? :eek1

Ouch
  3. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    I think it is 3/16", mine's dented and gouged, no cracks though.
    KTM gets $125 I think, I bought mine used for $50...
    I prefer the plastic material over aluminum, my 525 has the resin cast plate, it glides over rocks.:thumb
  4. NevBlu

NevBlu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used the original plastic skid plate and it only lasted 1 month without any serious mileage. With a 300 pound LC4 saving your engine should be paramount over weight and saving, say 50 dollars. I switched to a Tourtech aluminum plate that is 4 mm (3/16 inch) thick. Wow. It has taken the punishment rather than send damage to the cases. Desert and Baja with rocks and speed can do harm and are NOT a one time occurrence.

Contemplate E=M C squared.​

I know that the gash in the skid plate was from negative G-forces (dry wash) at speed (50+ mph) with full tank, tools, and riding gear, then up pops that Titanic rock! Like others said, aluminum stays in-place for the next hit and allows multi-day rides to continue. My 2 cents.

I had not seen the Flatlands unit before but it looks good. Anyone seen a model that has a tool area up front (Rally type)? I have seen one for a larger KTM but not the 640 model.
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:

You mean like this one........

[​IMG]

It's a Rock Hard Rally Gear plate out of Australia....two tool pouches and even works as a centre stand like in the photo. It's expensive, but I sure am glad I bought it......keeps my feet dryer also!

Carbon and plastic plates work fine if you don't have any rocks to deal with. Aluminum is the only way to go if you encounter any rocks. The Flatland plate is one of the best ( I have one of their plates on my 520).
    The other thing to look for when buying a skid plate is ease of installation......if they use those stupid "J" hooks.....stay away..........they are a PITA to install.
    I also find that a hole in the skid plate for draining the engine oil is not necessary as I like to take off the skid plates before a service anyhow. No matter how careful you are at draining the engine oil, if you leave the skid plate on, you have a good chance of lots of that oil staying on top of the plate!

Cheers

Cheers
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Is that thing mounted with the stock 5 -6mm screws?
  7. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the bottom 4 bolts are nicely recessed so the heads do not stick.
    For the downtube mount, I installed a 6mm stud and then use a nylock nut to retain the plate. This also makes it easy to "hang" the plate for installation.

It's taken quite a few good hits already and no problems with it being secure!

Cheers
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There is a thread in the down under forum on this plate - great reputation, but before you get your hopes up its pricey. Probably worth every penny, if you have that many.
  9. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What bothers me about the Flatland plate is when you go to lc4 page the pic is small and does not seem to have wings????
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :scratch

Pretty good coverage in my opinion. No rock hits to my engine cases since installing one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:

:nod

But I don't have that many. :cry
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Nope, needs a Red Bull...

Actually I think the plate in the picture is just a generic unit and not the one meant for the 640..
  13. wayno

Oddometer:

If that's the case I'll buy one. Thanks
    The one I have now reminds me of the one on my DR650 but thinner
  14. wayno

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Great dog by the way. Just talked to Flatland and they confirmed this pic....very nice peeps......even offered to do actual shipping cost rather than 14.00 flat rate. Gonna order ASAP.......thank to all[​IMG]
  15. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That flatlands plate looks awesome, and it doesn't have any holes in the bottom. I have compared the prices for KTM, TT and Flatlands plates and here is what I found out (KTM and TT prices are for European market and I used Google to convert everything into USD)

KTM OEM alu plate: ~$188
    Touratech plate: ~$172
    Flatlands:~$181

All prices include delivery and tax is included in Flatlands price. So after all the Flatlands plate(delivered and taxed) really isn't that expensive compared to the prices here in EU. I guess I will have to save up some money and get my hands on one of those Flatland plates.
  16. wayno

Oddometer:
    Got my FL and was surprised about its size. I have to install before reporting on it.
  17. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you mind making a picture of the mounting hardware?
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look to the right of his picture in the bag. Those are the rear mounts. The front bolts to the tapped mounting point in the frame above the oil filter.
  19. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I sure need a new pair of glasses :shog:shog
  20. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    15 years ago one skid plate for lc4 thread was created. Now 2021 I'm here and asking, is there any skidplates available today for 2000 620 SC? Been searching for the KTM original, but looks like the only one is the sw-motech one.