1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lifan engine thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hugemoth, Feb 22, 2011.

1. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    It does work extremely well. And yes, you have to carry a chain extension.

As for misalignment, there are three ways to do it. First is the way I did this one: the larger sprocket is an overlay sprocket. It is normally (as in the pic) parked on an aluminum flange that holds it out of the way. To use the large sprocket you have to break the chain, remove the four bolts and nuts that hold the big sprocket to the flange, place the large sprocket directly on the small sprocket (the small sprocket fits inside the center hole of the large sprocket), clamp the two sprockets together with the four bolts (which then engage teeth on the smaller sprocket), add the chain extension and put the chain on the large sprocket.
    There is no chain misalignment, but as you can imagine it is a huge hassle. It is also difficult to change the size of either of the two sprockets. This was, however, the factory setup on the Honda CT200 Trail 90 from the mid '60s.

The second way is to bolt two sprockets together, with washers to separate them just enough to not cause chain interference. This does still require a chain extension, but misalignment is not really a problem because on most bikes the counter sprocket floats on the shaft and compensates for a certain amount of misalignment. That is a much better way to do it.

The third and best way to do it is to bolt/pin both two rear sprockets and two front/counter sprockets such that you have a larger rear sprocket paired with a smaller counter sprocket. It's also helpful to lengthen the axle slots in the swingarm. With that setup you don't even have to break the chain. Just loosen the axle nut, slide the wheel forward, move the chain from the large counter/small rear sprocket set to the small counter/large rear (or vice versa), then pull the wheel back to proper tension, tighten the nut and go on your way.
    CJ3Flyer, dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  2. CJ3Flyer

CJ3Flyer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @WECSOG, great explanation! Thank you. That’s cool that it works well.

You mentioned some bikes use a dual countershaft sprocket too. Do you know what bike did that? I’d like to Google it and learn more.

As an early teen I had a Suzuki TC185 (wish I still had it). It had a dual range transmission as some of the later CTs did. My CT70 that I had before the 185 I geared down a bit. Top speed was low 30s instead of mid/high 30s and I had a blast on that thing.

I have a deep appreciation for riding single track and no track so I really appreciate stuff that’ll gear way down and can still be ridden on the road (hence I never got into the Trials bikes). Great respect for that genre but the bikes aren’t quite versatile enough for me.
    dp064, WECSOG and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  3. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of my friends had an early 90 with the overlay sprocket. It did work very well. I've seen him change to the bigger sprocket on the side of a trail. Works great unless you lose a bolt or the chain section which I've also seen! My other friend had one of the first dual transmission models and could be long gone by the time the other guy got his sprocket changed. Our 90 is dual transmission, but will likely get a Lifan swap in the near future. I bought a 125cc engine manual transmission today for my S65 and the 110cc automatic engine will likely go in our Yamaha Chappy 80. I'll probably buy another 125cc but semi auto for the Trail 90.
    dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.