The Lifan engine thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hugemoth, Feb 22, 2011.

1. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank You!

so this was what I was looking at but it might not be any higher output than what is already on it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-ST...179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf558e53

The 140 is a lot cheaper than the 150 currently and I might give that a try if the 150 price stays high

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFAN-150CC...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eba21e1fc&vxp=mtr
  2. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    The 6 pole stator definitely has a higher output than the 2 coil unit, I've had them both.

The 140 is a good trail bike engine because of the low end power but because of the undersquare design it's not great at high revs. Not sure about the 150.

3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll go for the 6 pole then.

I think the 150 is same stroke, slightly larger bore than the 140. Of course I want both low end torque and higher top speed for my CTs. A lot of the small 150cc scooter motors seem to have undersquare engines also and they are usually reported to have ~60mph top speed. I've had a stock CT110 up to about 50mph down hill and it was very stable so 60mph should be stable also, especially since scooters with smaller diam tires and no more robust suspensions seem to do OK at 60.

I have a KO that I put a Lifan 125 manual in, it ran great initially but has crank case pressure, must be blocked vent because it holds pressure even with the engine off that escapes when I remove the oil cap. It blew the kick start seal when I was test riding it but seemed to have great power. I need to pull the engine to see what is up about that. Too late to try the WABDR again this year but I want to do the whole route next year so I have the fall/winter/spring to sort things out. I want the larger 140 or 150 for a CT110 I have that needs engine work anyway.

Thanks again for what you have posted about these motors.
  4. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    I've ordered a 200cc vertical Lifan from PCC. I sent an email inquiry as to whether it is the pushrod version or the OHC version. They replied that it is OHV. If it turns out to be OHC I'll probably still keep it, but I prefer the pushrod version.
  5. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    It showed up, and it's a pushrod motor!:clap
  6. Biker45

Biker45 n00b

Oddometer:
    What are the intake and exhaust valve tappet clearance specs on the 200? (Great pictures. Thank you for posting them. You helped me know a lot more about my bike from those)
  7. Biker45

Biker45 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a Lifan 200GRX around 2007, and fought with the DMV for about 3 months and finally quoted the licensing statutes and my compliances, and they finally and reluctantly granted the title and registration, but they sent the title and registration to a wrong address at the trucking company who had delivered it, but they were gracious enough to forward it to me. Not long after that I tried to start the bike on a cold day, and barely got it started, and the idle would never settle down. Summer rolled around, and it would take long cranking sessions to get it started and idle was terrible. It finally stalled on me 3 miles from home and I pushed it all the way back (yeah, there were some big hills too:huh) I finally took the carburator off and threw it into the garbage, and bought a dirt bike carb from the Lifan site. Runs smooth as silk now. Sorry for the long story, but this is the condensed version:evil.
  8. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The owners manual says to set both valves cold to .002".

Did you get the 163FML-2M engine?

9. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Mine is 163FML. I don't see any additional designation, 2M or otherwise.
    The only documentation that came with it is in Chinese and lists valve lash as .05mm intake, .06mm exhaust. Both of those specs are pretty close to .002-inch. I would just make the exhaust valve slightly loose on the .002-inch blade.
  10. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    2M indicates the balance shaft model. Valve clearance increases on these engines as they heat up so as long as the valves are touching the seats when cold, all is good. They do make some valve noise when warm.

11. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Good to know; thanks. Do you think the balance shaft (or lack thereof) has any effect on longevity of the engine?
  12. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The balance shaft shouldn't affect longevity one way or the other as the rest of the engine is the same.
  13. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    just got a Mikuni 24 to put on the boys lifan 125 pit...
    the carb came with a #85 main jet which seems a bit
    small as the "leaky" PZ19 has a #80...
    Anyone know what size range of jets should I be looking
    at ordering to start jetting it...

14. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The 26mm Sheng Wey copy of a Keihin carb on my 140 has a 94.5 main jet.

15. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks
    gives me a start point...
  16. zabkaatlarge

zabkaatlarge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a Lifan 125cc that I bought in 2007 that I first abused in a go kart for many years then in 2012 I ended up putting the same engine into a CT70 and I put an additional 1,700 miles on it and it still runs perfectly.
  17. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the CT70 replica bikes, most 'brands' are made by Skyteam (i.e. SSR, Pitster Pro, Piranha), and come with a 125cc engine. Does anyone know the engine manufacturer? I am fairly certain Skyteam outsources their engines, but are they Zongshen, Lifan, Loncin, or someone else? I remember when Lifan had their own replica, but theirs came with a 110cc, and they ended up scrapping them when Honda started issuing cease and desist letters to a few brands of the DAX replicas at the time (besides Lifan, I remember Redcat going on a rant of how they were going to continue with their replicas in spite of the letter written to them).
  18. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The springs inside the cush gear that turns the balance shaft on the Lifan 200 are slightly loose so I've been looking around for a replacement. Could't find one anywhere in the US since the non balance shaft model is much more common. With some help I found one at taobao.com and it's being shipped from China. The original gear might last another 20,000 miles but who knows. Best to replace it and not have to think about it for another 50,000 miles.

I also picked up a 2005 Roketa 200 dual sport with 500 miles on the odometer. It's made by Zongshen and has a similar 200cc push rod engine but with a bigger bore and shorter stroke. The number designation is 167FML. It produces much less vibration than the non balance shaft Lifan 200s I've ridden.

[​IMG]
  19. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    SSR are Jialing. I have a SSR branded Jialing 125 on my XL70. 57mm stroke, small valves, aluminum jug. I think Piranha is the same. Don't know about Pitster Pro.
  20. BiellaBound

BiellaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think about a Lifan 200cc on a Honda CL175. Love the look of the 175 and am inquiring on am engine restore to something like this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382510.977144.jpg
    But a new engine with new wiring and starting from scratch seems appealing.

First bike, first build and weighing the options. Any advice on vertical Lifan engines would be greatly appreciated or if there are any other brands.

I see some on the bay from PCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk