The Lifan engine thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hugemoth, Feb 22, 2011.

1. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Lifan is the most common Chinese vertical engine you'll find on Ebay but there are other brands. Most of them are clones of the Honda CG125 and you'll find them up to 250cc. I have a Lifan 200 with the CG type engine and also a Zongshen with the same type but slightly different. I haven't put many miles on the Zongshen yet but it appears to be equal in quality to the Lifan. As far as measurements to determine if it'll fit you'll have to search google

2. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    I would say definitely, go for it! I bought one of those Lifan 200 engines and am getting ready to install it in a '72 XL250.
    I'm pretty sure it can be made to fit a CL175 frame without too much trouble.
  3. BiellaBound

BiellaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info, I am not very familiar with Chinese engine yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. BiellaBound

BiellaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah I am leaning there, but that 175 engine had a mean looking dual exhaust, it's going to take a little to beautify the lifan. Overall I am going for the modded triumph scrambler look. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422421257.632358.jpg

5. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    It doesn't have the Triumph scrambler look, but it is a good looking engine. Plus it has that thumper sound that is even more unmistakable than the Harley V-twin sound everybody talks about. A pushrod thumper is a really cool and uncommon engine. You could go for more of an Enfield Bullet scrambler type look and sound.
    The Honda twin doesn't sound like a Trumpet anyway, because it is timed differently.
    It's your bike, though. Those Triumphs are cool looking bikes.
  6. BiellaBound

BiellaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah man they are beauties.

I am going to push it as hard to that look as I can. Contrast sump guard.

I think I am Definitely taking out that Honda engine and making it mine. Also getting a new electrical system would be great.

The triumph hopefully in a couple years.

Soon I will set up the build thread. Been siting in my basement mentally dissecting the bike to see where I want to take it.

Here she is now ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422470525.441473.jpg

There is a lot of awesome as on the bike that just needs some cleaning up

7. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great project! Let us know here when you start the build thread so we can tag along.
  8. BiellaBound

BiellaBound Adventurer

Oddometer:

For sure, probably going to start dissecting soon, first off is the seat, only because I am a Tailor so it should be the easiest challenge.

9. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Last time I had the clutch cover off the 200 I observed a little play in the cush gear that drives the counterbalance shaft. Many cush gears utilize steel springs and when they start to deteriorate, the gear itself gets loud and eventually comes apart. I opened the gear and found rubber cushions instead of springs so no need to replace. Here's a pic of the disassembled gear.

[​IMG]
  10. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty well-built. Do you have a source for replacement bushings?
  11. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    No, haven't looked for the bushings alone, just the whole gear. Replacing the rubber parts requires drilling out the rivets which is probably too involved for most people.

12. Frey

Frey motocrossdresser

Oddometer:
    Hi can anyone help identify this engine? XR200R was in a fire, might buy for cheap, first thing I noticed was electric start, then saw Lifan on the side of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea of motors abilities? XR200 is 6 speed, would this be? Thanks! :thumb
  13. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    What is the number on the engine. Should be something like a LF169FML. Looks like the OHC 200, should be a 5 speed, about 16 hp.

14. Frey

Frey motocrossdresser

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I bought the bike, its a 163FML, It looks just as bad as in the photos but starts sooo easily. I've ordered some parts and will post some pics when I get to putting things together.

The only thing about these is since they are new there isn't much information. I tried to find which oil filter they use and I guess they don't use an oil filter? That seems crazy, I should get a magnetic drain plug for sure.

Also does anyone know what headers work? If the XR200, XL125, and XL185 use the same head does that mean they use the same header? Theo one on this bike is a little patched together with some welds.

Otherwise a very cool/cute bike that I like a lot already.
  15. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    may have a centrefugle oil filter behind the right engine case
  16. shredxcam

shredxcam Cam

Oddometer:
    Oil screen
  17. AGAUBERG

AGAUBERG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What?! Really?! I was thinking about getting one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140981274897?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And you don't think this will put out enough electrical power for street use (headlight with hi-low, tail light, 4 turn signals, gauge cluster lighting, etc.)?
  18. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Get ahold of the guys at Tbolt USA and tell them what you want and that you need it to run lights for the street.

They helped me set up my lifan 140 for street use with lights. The guys at the Planet minis forum can help you out as well.
  19. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if these 200 cc Lifan bolt into the old cb or cl or xl honda Frames ? Just wondering .
  20. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Yes, they fit just fine. You might have to do some minor modifications, but nothing serious.