The Lifan engine thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hugemoth, Feb 22, 2011.

1. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    I now have a 3rd Chinese clone of the Honda CG125, this time in a quad. It's the 230cc version made by Zhejiang, sold by Taotao. 71mm bore, 58mm stroke, 4 forward gears plus reverse. Like the Lifan and Zongshen it looks to be good quality and it runs well. It does vibrate more than the others at higher RPM but that may be partially due to the frame design.

You can't beat these Chinese CG clone engines for a low price reliable workhorse.
  2. trailNtent

trailNtent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been thinking of putting a lifan in my ct70. Where is the preferred place to buy lifan engines? It doesn't seem like dratv.com carries them anymore. I've pretty much only seen them on ebay recently with wildly variable pricing.
  3. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Tboltusa.com.
  4. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Piranha has some decent deals their engines. These are pretty nice but you will need to make sure they are set up for lights. Tbolt can help you with that.
    http://wholesale-cycle.com/product/1143/140cc-Piranha-Engine/

On the ct70s and z50s that I have swapped the Lifan or zongshen engines into I just use a ct70 replica harness. Made it all damn near plug and play.

Hooper import is still around and should be able to help you with all of that.
    WECSOG likes this.
  5. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    American Lifan is back in business in the US, this time in California. Unfortunately their official parts dealer Red Oak Cycles charges BMW prices for Lifan parts. A 3" long oil pump chain $24, countershaft sprocket $28.75, rear sprocket $57.25, plus shipping!

I still like my Lifan bike and engines but can no longer recommend them to anyone who may need a part not commonly available on Ebay. Honda dealers have lower parts prices than Lifan dealers.
    WECSOG and Mambo Dave like this.
  6. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the top and cruising speed of a Lifan 200? I have a 1978 XL125 thats been neglected and I've been thinking of putting a lifan 200 in.
  7. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Top speed sitting upright on my Lifan 200 (163FML_2) is about 100kph or 62mph measured by GPS. It has no problem running wide open for long periods, and holds it's speed pretty well on hills or with a head wind. I've had it to 73 with a tail wind.
  8. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Hugemoth. I'd be stoked to be able to hit 60, realistically I want to be able to cruise at 50 for half an hour or so. I want it for around town fun bike, but I'd love to take it on a weekend camping trip here and there and not worrying about some faster roads. I just finished riding around Vietnam on a Loncin 100cc and it reminded me how much fun smaller bikes are.
    WECSOG likes this.
  9. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could I ask a favor from any Lifan engine owners? I need to know the distance between the two mounting bolts for a possible engine swap. I have found a couple of line drawings of the engine online, but they are way off scale for the dimensions noted on the drawings. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  10. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    My bike is in another state at the moment so I can't measure ,but the mounting holes are in the same location as the original Honda Cub and Honda Passport.
  11. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since my lifan is mounted on a CT90 I can't give you a precise measurement because there is too much in the way of the mounting bolts. As far as I can see the bolts are 7 1/4" on center but that is sighting with a tape measure from 3-4 inches from the bolts while kneeling on the floor. Someday I need to pull it and unplug the crankcase vent but that won't be anytime soon.
  12. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I had recently removed the Lifan from my CT90 frame, so I was able to measure center to center, and I got right at 6".

Edit to add: Mine is a Lifan 140, but they should all be about the same.
  13. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how my measurement was so far off, looked again. I forgot that the bottom mounting bolt isn't thru the engine on a CT90 lifan install but instead an adaptor plate that bolts onto the bottom of the motor, I was measuring centers of the bolts which isn't the same as the hole distance because of the adaptor plate.
  14. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for measuring that. That corresponds with the mounting points on my Minitrail 50 but the Symba has different spacing (approx. 6.875).
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone makes an adapter bracket or something. Have you checked the Dr ATV site? http://dratv.com/
  16. gplane

gplane Putty Conjugator

Oddometer:
    DRATV has 'em [not sure of price]. T-Bolt USA has them for $24.95.
    "Honda motor adapter for pit bike engines in Honda CT90, CT110."
    Part # TRC-0537
    Good illustration on T-Bolt's website.
  17. kirkallen143

kirkallen143 Adventurer

Oddometer:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (remember this one)?

107^2 + 110^2 = c^2

c = square root of (23549)

c = 153.456834mm

c = 6.04"
  18. kirkallen143

kirkallen143 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I now have a question, if y'all don't mind, I am going to install a Lifan 140 into a CT110. What would be a good recommendation on a carburetor size for slow trails and trials for this motor? I searched around the web and all I hear is "how fast to make it go...", and so many use the VM26. Would the VM20/VM22 be too small of a carb for these riding situations? I do like to mix it up and go fast sometimes, but this motor would be dedicated trials/trails, and I did not want to choke the motor down too much with too small a carburetor.

Thanks, all suggestions are appreciated

Kirk
  19. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    A 26mm carb works best. That matches the size of the cylinder head port. Make sure the intake tube is also 26mm on both ends. The 140 loves to chug chug around at low RPM and that's where most of it's power is.
  20. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished up a Lifan 125cc swap into my 1965 Honda ct200. After getting the jetting correct, it runs strong! Amazing how quickly it accelerates now.

The swap was not that difficult. I had to grind a bit of the frame to get the motor case to clear, but otherwise it bolted right up. I bought a complete Lifan 125cc kit from pcc motor since they're local to me and I can just swing by the warehouse and pick parts up. Complete kit with engine, harness, intake and 22mm carb was $329. http://www.pccmotor.com/semi-auto-lifan-125cc-auto-engine-xr50-crf50-crf70-w125505070.html

I bought a perimeter intake from them as well. This intake allowed me to mount the carb facing forward and utilize the OEM air box. I used a universal rubber hose from Dr Atv to make the connection.

Lessons learned:

• Exhaust is a ct110 reproduction from Ebay. I was able to utilize the OEM chrome heatshields from my ct200. The exhaust bolts right up to the Lifan with two half moon flanges from Dr ATV. It runs nice and quiet with just enough snarl and bark on deceleration.

• The motor ships with a 420 chain front sprocket. My bike uses a 428 chain so I simply bought a $10 428 sprocket from PCC

• The 22mm "racing" carb shipped with this kit is woefully under jetted. It had a 32 idle and 83 main jet. I hit up Jets R Us and got a 38 idle and 110 main and it runs strong.

• I used a Lifan swap foot peg adapter from Dr ATV to retain my stock pegs. The Lifan case is a bit larger and my left side peg would not clear. I had to cut away part of the right side cover (purely cosmetic) to allow the peg to clear.
    • The carb shipped with the kit does not have a petcock. I made a small mount to add a Dr Atv petcock to the carb mount. This retains the main/reserve lines from the OEM tank.
    I currently have it wired up with no battery or electrics just to make sure it works. Next up will be a 12v-6v rectifier, new key switch, and conversion harness from Dr ATV. I have all those parts, so it should be pretty simple.

Here's a few pic's of the "new" 50 year old rocket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]