1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Did a search last night, found bits and pieces spread throughout ADV...

This thread is for small pop-ups, Eggs, Tear drops, and Small cargo/campers. Think under one ton, 2,000 lbs. (cause my truck's towing is 2200. :deal)
    What are the benefits? What are the minuses? Have you owned one? What did you like/hate?

Emphasis is on small and light (but want more than a tent on wheels) -- small cooking area w/ fridge, maybe some electrics, hell maybe even a bathroom. Big RV's have their own thread. Rooftops have their own thread...

I think these trailers are deserving of their own thread.

Egg:
    [​IMG]

Pop-up:
    [​IMG]
    small Jay-co

Teardrop:
    [​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  2. Hodag

Hodag native

Oddometer:
    canned hams......

[​IMG]
    Blue Mule likes this.
  3. InfoManiac

InfoManiac Always Learning

Oddometer:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sLe3kiNGWyk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sLe3kiNGWyk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  4. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    </P>
    I saw that... kind of cool, really scary. :lol3
  5. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    Nice set up. Tell me about it. :ear
  6. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    A cool set up---

I do wonder if the bed area would be a bit claustrophobic on these though?

Plus on a rainy day in the woods would you want to be able to sit up and play cards or what ever?

[​IMG]
    burley likes this.
  7. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    What kind of wimpy-ass truck can only tow 2200 lbs?

My V-6 4Runner is rated for 5k.
    Danielcan likes this.
  8. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    GMC Canyon- manual transmission- 4cylinder engine.

Jurgen
  9. Hodag

Hodag native

Oddometer:
    its 13', with a 10' box

has a dinette in back that forms a small double bed, bunk above it. opposite the door side has a small stove and sink. other side has a closet. in the font is a bench abou 2' wide.

I took out the fridge and put a porta potty in its place for those late night potty visits for the kids.
    we camp with me, wife, and 2 kids (9,4)

its small, but I can fit in some very nice spots. tows easy, easy to move around when you get it to the site.

we spend most of our time outside , except the kids will watch a dvd or something.
  10. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    We've got a pop-up and like it pretty well.

They offer the most bed/interior space in the size segment but can suffer when it comes to amenities.

Definitely don't ever feel "cramped", but setting up/tearing down is a certain negative.
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    ACR and David4 like this.
  12. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I recognize that campground. :lol3
  13. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1978 Boler 13' trailer until just recently - the Scamp 13 is a later version. Very nice trailer and it weighed only around 900 lbs so it towed like a dream behind my 4 cylinder diesel Land Rover. It was great for a couple of folks if they were sleeping alone on the front and rear bunks. The rear bunk was a "double" but was a bit cramped for my wife and I (not that we're fat - just a bit heftier than we were when we got married).

The wife liked the camper but really wanted one with an on board bathroom. We went to a fiberglass camper meet last fall and got a chance to look at a couple of 16' Casita trailers. They are much nicer with a slightly wider bunk and a full bath. Those weigh around 1600-1800 lbs and that's probably what we'll move up to.

The 17" Casita has a much larger rear bed - but weighs around 2200 lbs.

[​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  14. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    We have an 8' Rockwood Freedom 1640. This one is the 1640 LTD, which is longer.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertc&model=1640LTD&choice=rktc&nav=rec&name=112&series=Freedom

Nice little popup, and close to the lightest out there. Can be had with AC and a reefer, but no bathroom. Electric pump (110/12V) for the water tank. Weighs about 1300 dry. GVW just over a ton.

We've pulled it with a 4 cyl. Odyssey, a Pontiac Vibe, Mazda MPV, Grand Cherokee (like you'd know it was even there), and currently a Ford Escape.

A bit heavy for the Vibe on anything other than flat ground, but everything else did fine.

Full-size on one end, small standard (3/4?) on the other, and fold-down table for a small kid's bed.
  15. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Safari Condos-- unfortunately not yet sold in U.S. -- and expensive even in Canadian Dollars. But, do look like a great set up. The basecamp is actually cheaper. (I think)

Jurgen
  16. Riverbud

Riverbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These guys just sponsored my niece. I haven't had a chance to check the trailer out yet, but it looks interesting. 1535 lbs dry with a 940 lb carrying capacity.

http://www.truenorth.me/models/

[​IMG]
    monstar62 likes this.
  17. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got a little Serro Scotty that i plan to rebuild one day. Its walls are all rotten.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ive got almost everything for inside it. Don't think it was used much, just sat around alot.
  18. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    That could be really cool when done. The late lamented VespaFitz posted some about small campers similar to that one.

Jurgen
  19. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I like that set up. :thumb
  20. Driver72

Driver72 Been here awhile

Oddometer: