The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    DCrider, MarkM and Glenn247 like this.
  2. W8NONU

W8NONU Best days to ride end in "Y" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay. I was dispersed camping in the Arkansas Ozarks and just got home. I'll get a few pics and write up some details. Will send a PM in a day or so.
    katbeanz, sanjoh and Hannda like this.
  3. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is for our transient population. Cart camp.jpg
    Toto, smilin jack, MaddBrit and 7 others like this.
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't gcc bro?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  6. W8NONU

W8NONU Best days to ride end in "Y" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Determine what size awning you want. I found it best to find the closest size tarp to this so there was no cutting to fit.

For anchoring the ends of the main pvc pipe in the "T's" You will have to put together something that will fit into the ends of the "T's" on the main pipe and can be bolted to a heavy "L" bracket that will be mounted to the upper frame on the trailer to hold the pipe in place.

For the main pvc pipe I used 1" schedule, 40. This pipe will require three 'T's". One on each end of the pipe and one in the center of the pipe. All the "T's" must be facing the same way for inserting the tarp support pipes. You will need another pvc pipe cut the same legnth as the main pipe. But, this pipe will need two 90 degree elbows and one "T". The "T" will be centered to match the center "T" on the main pipe. The "T" and the elbows must be facing the same way. You will need to cut three tarp support pipes to fit between the main pvc pipe and the outer pvc support pipe. When assembled ot will be a rectangular outer shape with the two end pipes and on center pipe for attaching/supporting the tarp/awning when it is deployed.

To attach the tarp to the main pvc pipe I used zip ties through the eyes of the tarp and around the main pipe. This end stays attached at all times. I then used heavy duty metal 1" pipe mounting brackets and sheet metal screws to anchor the main pipe to the trailer. Make sure your main pipe is centered on the end pieces holding the pipe on the trailer before tightening the 1" mounting brackets to the trailer.

Once the three supports pipes have been cut to length and the outside pipe has the elbows and "T" installed you can insert the three support pipes into the main pipe on the trailer and then the outer pipe. Your tarp should fit over all the pvc piping and be ready to attach.

On my table saw I cut a strip out of 1" schedule 40 pipe out lengthwise and then cut about twenty 4" - 5" long pieces from this pipe to use as clips to hold the tarp in place.

I made the metal extending poles for anchoring the awning from 3/4" electrical conduit and 1/2" metal electrical conduit, all found at Lowes or Home Depot. I cut the 3/4" pipe to what I wanted for the length of the main pipe and then the 1/2" was cut to extend to add 18"-24" extra height. I then drilled holes in the pipes to allow me to use metal pins to hold them at whatever height I wanted the tarp.

Hopefully you can tell from the pictures what the descriptions say.

To travel I take the awning clips off, remove the three support pipes, then use the oiter pipe to roll the awning up to the main pipe. I attach the tarp and oiter pipe roll to the main pipe with long velcro strips to hold it all in place when traveling. I put the three support pipes inside the trailer.

image.jpg
    Rear of main pipe. L bracket and insert.
    image.jpg
    Front Of main pipe. L bracket and pipe insert.
    image.jpg
    Awning tarp clip
    image.jpg
    Clip installed on awning
    image.jpg
    Shows support pipe and outer pipe with 90 degree elbow.
    image.jpg
    3/4" and 1/2" metal conduit anchor pipes.
    image.jpg
    Pushed a pvc end cap onto the metal conduit for a foot.
    image.jpg
    Shows the 1" metal pipe mount screwed into trailer frame.
    image.jpeg
  7. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reaction: WTF? Don't tell me it's made from a 30 yard dumpster. Couldn't have imagined something like this my wildest dreams. Bravo.
    msahern5 and Dorzok like this.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Gives new meaning to recycling! :D
  9. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    wish it were my idea and handiwork. stole from some overlanding forum. dude griping about all these weekend ADVers. prolly some hack sitting on his sofa like most of us here dreaming of being able to take off on one of the adventures he reads about .
  10. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple that I have come across recently that I think you'all will like.

Sunset Park RV Sunray 109

Classic
    [​IMG]

Sport (off roady package)

[​IMG]

I like that it's very small but isn't all bed inside. The bed makes a couch for a little more versatility.

[​IMG]

Jayco Hummingbird 10RK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Except for their "gnarly" looks, what possible benefit do heavily treaded lugged tires have on a trailer?

Do loud tires save lives?:dunno
    MaddBrit, mbabc, DCrider and 3 others like this.
  12. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I would think very little benefit for most people except for side grip/better tracking in muddy situations. Unless you have the same wheels and tires on your tow rig and can use the spare on either/or.
  13. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread and thought I'd share our rig. We bought a used Livin Lite Quicksilver 8.0 two years ago and we love it. We haul it with our Subaru Crosstrek manual and it does fine for how under-powered that car is. The trailer is super light, fairly spacious, and not too bad to set up. I love the all aluminum body. There are a couple weak points in the design but for the most part its a solid little camper that can be towed by smaller vehicles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hannda, EmmEff, DCrider and 3 others like this.
  14. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Some pics of my cheap ass toy hauler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Insulated the walls and ceiling (forgot the damn floor) RV heat and air unit. The 13K BTU AC is way overkill! Got it wired up for 30 AMP RV service. The Lighting is also overkill. Bright as a damn operating room! I just use a cot for sleeping. That way I can maximize the space so I can use this as a cargo trailer as well.
    msahern5, nevermind, DCrider and 9 others like this.
  16. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you actually drag it around offroad, AND have trailer brakes, they make a big difference in stopping. That also assumes you have suspension that works well enough to keep the trailer tires on the ground.

I just use take-off all terrain tires and wheels from a Jeep as they're cheap, readily available, have the right bolt pattern for my trailer, and are tougher than most shitty trailer tires I'd be willing to pay for!
    FAW3 and villageidiot like this.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the same wheels/tires on my trailer as the Jeep for a common spare, that is, when I had a Jeep and trailer. No more
  18. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Just like the Army!
    I can see that, but it would seem to be pretty difficult to arrange that marriage unless you were building your own trailer (which is what I'm pretty sure you did, mad dog baller & fabricator that you are:D)
    villageidiot likes this.
  19. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Spotted at local Costco. BC plates so 3,000 miles / 4,800 kilometers + from home. I’m guessing they will head down the east coast to Florida but who knows?

https://nucamprv.com/tag-trailer/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer: