The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. mysery1

mysery1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had for going on 20 years
    20170717_205554.jpg IMG_20190522_113103345_HDR.jpg IMG_1515.JPG

Attached Files:

2. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That is a T@B trailer, or a near perfect copy of one.
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    NuCamp bought T@B or something like that a few years back.
  4. prof

prof Completely unperturbed

Oddometer:
    Could you tie down a small motorcycle in front of the trailer where that metal box is on the NuCamp?
    goosecreek likes this.
  5. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    That's an idea, but only if the trailer A-frame was reinforced to take the weight, and the tow vehicle hitch could take the additional weight. Many of the small SUV's and trucks that can easily pull a 1600 pound T@B with sub-500 pound tongue weight don't have more than a 500 pound hitch carrying weigh limit. Putting 200+ pounds on the front of the trailer might break the camels back.
  6. prof

prof Completely unperturbed

Oddometer:
    I have the towing capacity (full size pickup). I’m thinking about either something like the NuCamp, or customizing a cargo trailer.
  7. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just remember, as Toolman said, towing capacity is NOT the issue. And I don't know of many bikes that aren't 250-300 + pounds.
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
  9. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    Yah, it's a dimensional pocket n-space thing. MUCH bigger inside hee hee.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. mysery1

mysery1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 on the front rack at a time for a total of about 800 pounds. I made a mistake on my original post, I've only had it for 11 years. Tow it with a half ton chevy and never had any problems.
    sperz1 likes this.
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. jakengle

jakengle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my camper project.

This is a 6x12 ramp gate cargo trailer with a 6' roof. I already had the trailer, worth about $1800 and I spent about $3500 on the conversion. It has shore power with a deep cycle battery and a self contained plumbing system with a chemical toilet. My WR250R fits inside next to the bed with floor and wall tie-downs. I use jack stands at the back and electric tongue jack to level it. After unloading, I prop the rear gate up on a second set of stands to make it level and it becomes the back porch. We put an easy up over it with a screen kit. This setup is awesome for 3 seasons use and you can just shut the rear gate when it gets wet/cold/dark.

It pulls just fine with my V6 Tacoma; I added trailer brakes to make it stop better. I haven't weighed it yet but I am guessing it is 3500 lbs or so. It tows 'heavier' than my 19' boat w/ 150hp outboard.

Walls and roof have 1" foam insulation added. Fan added to ceiling vent location. All cabinets from from Ikea--they are very affordable and so much easier than building your own. Sink and faucet also from Ikea. On the floor we used stick down linoleum tiles. The folding bed is also an Ikea item that we picked up used--pretty comfy folded either way and comes out quickly when we want to use the trailer for cargo/hauling.

Plumbing is a simple setup; 7 gal fresh water tank, 7 gal gray water tank; foot pump to push water from fresh tank through faucet. Tank next to cooler is gray water.

Electrical is combined 120v and 12v with an RV distribution/breaker/charger unit, a group 27 deep cycle battery, LED lighting, and both 120v and 12v sockets inside. The cooler is a dometic 40L 12v unit that we really like but was $$. It is on a slide that I built with heavy duty drawer slides. Toilet is a chemical unit that is so easy to use--much less of a mess than I had thought it would be.

Attached Files:

W8NONU, MaddBrit, salty_dog and 28 others like this.
  14. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done! This is exactly what I'm looking to create one day. That is, if you won't just give me yours:-). Thanks for sharing.
    Hannda likes this.
  15. jakengle

jakengle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This was a fun project and pretty easy for a reasonably handy person with basic hand tools and construction power tools. I learned what worked and didn't work along the way and could probably build a second one in less than half the time, LOL.
    Snake Oiler and Davidprej like this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'm contemplating weather i want to modify a enclosed trailer or pick up a used small toy hauler. I've been doing some searching and found a few in the$5k area. Figured if I modified a trailer I'd have at least that in it. What's the advantages to building a enclosed trailer over getting a toy hauler?
  17. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weight and quality is how I see it. It all depends on how much work you want to do. I probably should have done the building myself route, but went with a toy hauler instead (for me it was about trying to get my wife to come along, which didn't happen). The toy hauler is nice because it's finished and ready to go.
    Hannda likes this.
  18. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Well I live in a toy hauler now after going on disability, but it's too large and heavy to drag everywhere for a few days. So I'm thinking something smaller and more nimble for those occasions. But as stated above tossed up between another small toy hauler or building a enclosed utility trailer.
    garandman and Hannda like this.
  19. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had toyhauler, more water capacity more comforts for boondocking for week(s) at a time. Enclosed, do it yourself easier to haul, park and out fit the way you want.
    Hannda likes this.
  20. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would definitely go with the enclosed trailer if I was you. Build it out the exact way you want/need and it'll be easier to take anywhere.

I have a Jayco Octane 161, which is one of the smallest toy haulers I could find. Maybe it's because it's my first large towing item, but I hate towing it and wish I would have went with an enclosed trailer.
    pvangel likes this.