The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Do you have any build pictures?

Any plans to add a side awning?
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any plans to add AC and heating?
  3. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That cargo camper is the bomb.
    I keep telling my wife that would work for us. Our needs are minimal.

I would like lots of windows. Some type of heat and AC. Two very comfortable chairs for reading and TV. And a bed.

I wonder if starting with an all-aluminum unit would be a good idea. It could really lessen the total weight though it would drive up the total cost.
    Hannda likes this.
  4. jakengle

jakengle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hvac: we have a 8000btu portable ac unit with duct through floor. This is not adequate during a florida summer day but takes the edge off at night. The best solution would be a rooftop ac unit. I use a simple coleman propane heater or a 120v personal heater. I did install a CO alarm.

I am looking side awning options now but it is hard to beat the cost/function prospect of a decent easy-up. I carry two—one for back and one for side.

an aluminum trailer would be ideal but much more expensive.

The advantage of the cargo trailer vs an RV toy hauler is that the average cargo trailer is better built than the average RV. Roof leaks are a chronic problem for RVs and they use a lot of structural wood. Trailers have a steel frame. My trailer does NOT have a flat roof and i think that this is a critical feature for long term durability of the roof.
    Maggot12, Davidprej and JerseyBiker like this.
  5. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    With an enclosed trailer YOU control the workmanship of the build- not some minimum wage drug addict in a factory.
    I'm never buying another RV- just so fed up with dealing with issues and poor build quality.
    If I ever switch from my present CampLite it will be to my 20ft all aluminum, including the frame, Featherlite cargo trailer that I'll build out myself.
    mbabc, JerseyBiker and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

[​IMG]
    Albie, Hannda and Davidprej like this.
  7. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at and considering some of the higher-end trailers. Airstream, Oliver, Casita. I joined the owners groups for each of them. The posts are filled with folks saying they love their trailers but how do I fix all these issues. There are more issues than I can believe on brand new rvs. There are a lot of things in these RVs that I don't even want. I hate to think I would spend a considerable amount of time fixing crap I don't even want. Rolling your own does seem like the best option
    ToolmanJohn, BigEasy and AlH like this.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Some FYI, for those that don't know. ATC makes an aluminum Cargo trailer turned RV.. Not cheap though, but very nice.

http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/
    Hannda and Davidprej like this.
  9. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    Same conundrum here. I don't like towing for just a night or two stay, even though I like having the bed, kitchen, bath, shower. It's a pain to load up, prep, connect, tow ($$$ fuel), make camp. 2 nights stay, then reverse procedure, dump tanks too. Takes about 5 hours for prep and breakdown before and after trips.
    But I have an intense dislike of tenting..Period. So my choices are one....Enclosed trailer. haha..
    Hannda and Davidprej like this.
  10. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's what I got in 2017 . Custom 7X20 toy hauler (bumper pull). All amenities, plus space for 3 bikes if ever needed. An it's still light and easily tow-able by my diesel SUV. I had to have a bathroom. Just had to..And a kitchen....And 100 gallon fresh tank...And....
    donmac, Davidprej and Maggot12 like this.
  11. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    FYI, whether designing or building or buying a toy hauler or enclosed utility trailer, get AIRLINE Track also known as L-Track for your tie down points. Can't be beat for versatility. It's not expensive, and there are so many types of quick connect styles tie downs it allows anything to be strapped down. 100X better than D-Rings.
    FAW3 likes this.
  12. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    I prefer the d rings in my 8x12 toyhauler. Don't have to stumble over the track.

If you're just hauling bikes, ok. But if you live in it the track is a pita.
    mbabc and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. billbob412

billbob412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Neo 7x12 came with short strips L track placed recessed in the plywood floor, you don't trip over it . I installed two long strips to the ceiling to hold shelving and shower curtain up, this is far superior to D rings or E track in my opinion
    Davidprej and ToolmanJohn like this.
  14. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Again if you live in it, another place to collect dirt. All of my d rings are flush mounted.

Where are the strips installed such that you don't walk on them?

Everything in a small toyhauler is a compromise.
    W8NONU, mbabc and Bultaco206 like this.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Enclosed trailer is built better.
    It all depends on the amenities you want in it. If you want the full works, you can't buy the parts and pieces as inexpensively as a factory that buys 20,000 of each item per year. If you're willing to have it a little more rustic . . . you can probably come in under the $5k neighborhood and have a rig with fewer quality issues and the probability of it lasting longer and your being able to fix whatever might go wrong or that you simply want to change out/around.
    Snake Oiler and Davidprej like this.
  16. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but . . . that drug addict is Amish. That's supposed to make all the difference. Don't you watch the "factory tour" videos?

:hide
    Just playing.
    AlH likes this.
  17. billbob412

Oddometer:
    there are pictures on the neo website they run along both sides and down the center, i have the floor covered with a vinyl mat + carpet on the front where the motorcycles aren't allowed. I cut holes in the mat for access to the L track where needed. I have D rings in my car hauler and i understand about them being flush mounted, my point about liking L track better was you have many more tie down points depending on what bike or bikes you are bringing with you. And you are right about everything being a compromise in a 12 ft long toyhauler.
    Davidprej likes this.
  18. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    L-Track can be easily vacuumed out. 2 minutes with a hand held vacuum. Done. I sweep the rest of the floor. Recessed L-Track is nearly perfectly flush mounted. These are versions that are meant for sub-surface mounting. The 3 strips that run through my hauler are about 1/8 inch above the floor surface. I roll out 2 sections of hallway carpet runner and TADA I have a carpeted surface to walk on at camp. Roll it up before leaving, ready for next trip. Couldn't be easier. There are also rubber filler strips that I put into the track I am not using (mountain biking trips usually). Very low profile. It's not PERFECTLY flush, but neither are D-Ring cages. And L-Track allows connection anywhere along the track. D-Rings limit the location an object can be installed to only a few locations, unless the D-rings are all over the place.

I am not saying D-Rings suck!! They are perfect when you know what you are tying down belongs exactly where the D-Rings are located. They are easier to install and cost less. L-Track opens up location and load options.

[​IMG]
    Snake Oiler, Bigbob1 and Davidprej like this.
  19. billbob412

Oddometer:
    You said it way better than me, I may have had a few to many last night
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've got e-track in mine. I have never in all the years I've been using this trailer both as a toy hauler and a cargo hauler EVER stubbed toes on it. If I did, I probably ought to stop riding motorcycles because I've become too spastic to safely ride. Problem with permanently mounted d-rings is you only have that tie down point. The e-track give me so much more versatility to tie down what ever I have anywhere up and down the trailer. Sure,. it collects dirt and debris, they also make this nifty new appliance called a vacuum cleaner that cleans em out in a couple minutes.
    AlH, Snapper33 and ToolmanJohn like this.