The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with E-track and for the cost conscious it is way less than that aluminum airline stuff. Tons of different plug-ins available for it also.
    ToolmanJohn and Davidprej like this.
  2. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    Is a low profile trailer worth considering at all?

I.e... is the fuel savings significant enough to justify putting up with a low ceiling, or is the fuel savings negligible?
  3. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    Fuel costs always depend on these variables: towing SPEED, towing DISTANCE, trailer WEIGHT, tow vehicle ENGINE/tranny combo. The difference between round nose and flat nose trailer is not a big variable. Definitely a higher trailer costs more to tow fuel wise. But we are talking 1-2 mpg when you may only get 12 mpg in the first place. If you wan to live in it (sleep,eat, change clothes) walk around inside without stooping, then get one 7 ft interior height. Probably easier rolling bikes in/out if you can stand up straight too.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Bikerboy, mbabc and Davidprej like this.
  5. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I don't have much experience with enclosed trailers, but I find the following with my 2007 GMC Canyon, 2.9l 4cyl standard and a 400lb tilting steel trailer:
    • With a drz on the trailer, either with a cap on the truck or open box, there was pretty well zero extra fuel usage. My truck when completely empty uses 10l/100km on average, and it stayed the same with the trailer and bike. That is a 700+ lb trailer and load with minimal wind face.
    • When I put my 600lb ATV on the trailer, I use about 1 more litre per 100k... so 11l/100km which is a minimal increase. That is a 1000+ lb trailer and load with a slightly larger wind face.
    This makes sense as the ATV is both heavier and pushes more air than the bike, however I was still surprised how minimal the increase in fuel consumption was.

So I've been thinking, if a small low profile cargo trailer that is again only slightly larger face than the ATV on an open trailer, and only slightly heavier, then theoretically it should not be using that much more fuel.

I guess the only way I will know for sure is to try it, so perhaps I'll rent a uhaul 5x8 for a day and see how it effects my mileage.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You'll likely find that the cargo trailer will have a much different result. I posted this a couple hundred pages back. The minivan didn't feel it. Towed several different tent trailers around Vancouver Island ranging from 800lbs to 2500. Fuel went up a couple liters/100k.

I sold this trailer and bought a new 6x10+2 v-nose enclosed (in Guelph) and the van really struggled at highway speeds with the 1300lb empty trailer, driving back to Barrie. Was up over 20l per 100k with the van.

I then bought a 2016 Ram and the fuel went up 2 over average with about 600lbs in it driving from Barrie to Halifax and the truck was full.

Depending on your trucks engine (if anything like my minivan) it may have to keep revving to resist the wind.

7. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. mlbraptor

mlbraptor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m looking at a Keystone Hideout LHS. Any of you guys had one ?
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Dont have one, but they make about 15 different LHS floorplans.

10. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    And they certainly seem to be priced right. A north/south queen bed with an MSRP of $15,974 is attractive. Figure you'll be out the door for 70% of that plus sales tax and you could probably learn to be happy with it even if it isn't the highest quality rig ever made.
    mlbraptor and Maggot12 like this.
  11. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    A mountain biking pal of mine has one. He brought it to NembaFest in June. Very nice rig. He tows with a Kia Telluride. He upgraded from a T@B trailer he had for quite a while. But a cooler leaked in the T@B, made mush of the floor, so he bought the SOL. The slide out kitchenette is slick.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  12. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I just picked up this 2018 Runaway. 4x8 bed in a box, 650lbs. Seemed to make less than 1mpg difference in a short unscientific observation.

Runaway.JPG
    MYUMPH, mbabc, Hannda and 4 others like this.
  13. WAGmore01

WAGmore01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a place here in Denver that recycles semi trailers and sells the used E-Track for $2 per foot. Used to be $.50, then $1.00. I bought about 350’ for use in a handful of cargo trailers at $1, but can get brand new galvanized for $2.50 now so I don’t mess with the used stuff anymore.

Also, for those that are ordering a cargo trailer to diy a camper, order the Etrack welded in at factory, you won’t be sorry.
    IMG_6196.JPG
    Snake Oiler, Devo 1, Albie and 2 others like this.
  14. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have zero need for one of those, but for some reason I find them...both sizes...cool as hell. And I don’t know why.
    Hannda and Fallacy like this.
  15. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    LOL, I don't have a big need for one because I have a camper on my truck but when a REALLY good deal came up on Facebook MP I grabbed it because I thought it would be fun. You really have to adjust your expectations when approaching a small camper :-)
    ToolmanJohn and Bultaco206 like this.
  16. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8C4B494C-3239-425E-86C6-06F9DBD025BD.jpeg BECE0E77-C129-44F7-9DBE-18088653B3E0.jpeg
    Private showers now. I thought motorcycle stuff was expensive till I bought overland stuff.
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Buy a boat, then you'll have the trifecta of overpriced stuff.
  18. ToolmanJohn

Oddometer:
    I always remember the official definition of boat:

BOAT: A hole in the water into which you throw all your money.
    HapHazard likes this.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    My favorite: The two best days in a boat owners life. The day he buys it, and the day he sells it.
    HapHazard and BigEasy like this.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    B.O.A.T.

bust out another thousand
    MYUMPH, HapHazard and BigEasy like this.