The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    All true.

As spoken buy a guy who ordered a new boat last week :lol3
    HapHazard and villageidiot like this.
  2. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  4. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  5. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of folks put their e-track on the walls and
    What brand trailer is that? Never knew that option was available. Thanks.
  6. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    While currently being used as sled storage and transport, I think this 7x16x6.5 Cargo trailer has excellent camper potential.
    IMG_20191213_083430.jpg
    Maggot12 and Snake Oiler like this.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    ^I'd say so, too!

I don't see any picks on the sled that rip the hell out of the floor, either.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  8. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something to keep in mind, many of the "good deals" on cargo trailers in craigslist and likely other places are scams. Several I saw had an email address across the image of the trailer. I googled the address and it showed a number of comments in various places saying it was a scammer from as far back as 6 months. Sob story, "going out of country with my unit on a medical mission, its at the shippers, ready to be delivered to your address, if you dont want it, ll take it back, pay all the shipping etc, blah blah, lie, lie." Next messages if you contact them, "It has bad memories, it was my late husbands, lie, lie,..." Identical to the messages reported in the scams. I played along a while. they said the trailer was at some town in ND I think, I said "it was perfect, my girlfriends cousin is a sheriffs deputy there, he can look at it and take it to his place and save you the shipping".....crickets....nothing ever again from them, AND none of the 3 other trailers I emailed about (really good deals too!) with different addresses ever responded, which leads me to believe the scammers are very busy posting ads. I sent messages to both email addresses plastered across the image and through the craigslist system.

If its not truly local, and you cant see it in person, dont send money under any circumstances, even with their ebay pay or whatever fraudulent scheme theyve cooked up to make it sound legit. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
    Hannda, RainRider45 and Davidprej like this.
  9. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still figuring that out. The farther sled has a lightly studded long track that I ran up the ramp then carted the rest of the way. The rearward sled made it on the dolly all the way in. I picked up a roll of rubber sportsfloor for attempt 2 but I'm thinking my 7ft ladder ramp might work better.

HapHazard likes this.
  10. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    I had a large enclosed trailer that I used for both bikes and sleds 15+ years ago. I found that momentum could get me in there without spinning if I approached with enough speed, so the light studs were not a problem. However the carbides on the skis did tend to scrape things up a bit. Got some ski dollies that worked well once the sled was up the ramp and they were not too much of a pain.
    DSquared and HapHazard like this.
  11. RainRider45

RainRider45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my Casita off CL and waded thru all the scammers and found a rebuilt from a insurance auction.

It had a bent wheel, scratched plastic door and tire marks from most likely a simi truck getting to close. Repair guy had before and after pictures he emailed me.

2015 casita spirit deluxe for 9 k bought it a year ago zero problems. Winter, summer camped, AC and heat work great!

Now I am working on weight shifting to weld a bike carrier on the back frame.

I am pretty sure I can get the Electra glide on there.

Attached Files:

BoneDigger, MotoBoss, _CJ and 4 others like this.
  12. 10-96

10-96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RR45 - Nice buy on that Casita!
    Hannda likes this.
  13. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:

What size motor you towing with? Looks like an Explorer. How does it pull the Casita?
    We've been looking for a Liberty Dlx 17' to tow , they're hard to find used!
  14. RainRider45

RainRider45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3.5l v6 turbo. As you can see we are up in the hills and that’s Mt. St. Hellens in the background. The explorer tows the 17’ casita great with a weight distribution type hitch.

I welded up a twin 5 gal propane platform for the tongue to allow room for the hitch and add forward weight. Next the spare tire and a Honda gen set. Then the fun begins, cutting off the rear stink pipe holder and building a custom tilting bike rack. Still in the planning stage on that but I have seen one complete on the internet. I lite dirt bike should be ok.
    MotoBoss likes this.
  15. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Awesome. We've just bought a new F150 XLT 4x4 and went with the 3.3L V6 and 6 speed and it has a 7400 towing capacity so I have no concerns with a Catsita, full optioned. Just trying to find one.......not so brand new.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @HelloPitty to the courtesy phone.
  17. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    After our 5 day desert trip over Thanksgiving, I think we're ready to sell our 24' travel trailer. We took our TT and let my wife's cousin and her family (of 4) use our 6x10 and it worked out better than we'd expected for them, especially considering the extreme weather we got (70mph winds on the first night, heavy rain, then 3 days of snow.) We haven't been using the TT much in recent years, but the 6x10 is still our go-to. My van on 35"s is MUCH happier hauling 4k lbs less too.

Between our extended body van and the 6x10, we've got plenty of room for our family of 4 + dog to be comfortable (this is the setup we've used for the past 6-7 years for short/local camping trips) but if we're going to get rid of the "big trailer" we're going to have to at least step it up a little with the amenities.

That said, my inlaws surprised me with a Camp Chef portable propane oven/stove for Christmas, so that's a good start! We've been talking about buying one for years as it should really open up our camp food menu options and ease up cooking duties/messes by being able to pre-make meals in foil pans at home. I have no idea how much propane I should plan on it consuming, so we'll start with a single 1lb bottle to gauge it on its maiden voyage, but I'll bring the 20lb along with that. I'd rather keep the size/bulk of the "built ins" (furnace, plumbing, propane, electrical, etc.) down as this is still the moto hauler, so if I can get away with 1lb's, I'd prefer to, or maybe even track down a skinny 5-7lb bottle depending how quickly we end up going through propane.

I REALLY need to add at least one window over the flip up side table next. It wasn't a problem on this trip since everyone could hang out in the TT when the weather turned to crap, but being able to see the world around you would make being stuck in 60sqft with 4 people much more bearable on the rare occassions that it's unreasonable to hang out outside.

While a furnace would be nicer, the Mr. Buddy heater worked out well for pre-heating the box trailer before bedtime and the same in the mornings while getting dressed. Good sleeping bags and the little bit of insulation I put in the walls/ceiling kept everyone warm through the nights (no complaints about being cold from anyone.) I just don't think a furnace would be worth the space, weight, cost, and hassle for us.

The Dometic portable flush toilet handles business admirably, so no need to change that. You just have to kick everybody out of the trailer to use it.

I have a couple 6 gallon water jugs with spigots that get set on the tongue of the trailer once at camp, but now I'm questioning if a small sink with a hand/foot pump in the counter at the head of the trailer would be much more convenient? I suppose I'd need to set up a gray water tank under the counter then, or at least run a hose to a bucket outside.

We don't have an electrical system on board either as the only thing electric we find ourselves needing are lights. A couple battery powered LED lights have been sufficient for our needs.

I'm not opposed to adding more to our 6x10, but we're very much the type of campers that spend the majority of our time outdoors and just want a place to get out of the weather if it gets extreme and have a dry and comfortable place to sleep, so I'll think long and hard before making other changes.

What are the basic things that you guys just couldn't live without in your small trailers?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    why not tongue mount a 20lb bottle to the tongue and pipe yourself in a propane fitting to where you can hook up the stove/camp chef up with a simple hose connection, way less waste (though you can refill with an adapter) than the 1lb green bottle. can probably hook up the buddy heater too in the same fashion.
    jjustj likes this.
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    A sink with hand-pump, with jerrycans underneath, has been invaluable for me. It was a last-minute addition to my build. I not only use it to wash dishes and utensils, but it’s my ‘shower’ as well. Heating water in my Jetboil and mixing it in the sink to use with a washcloth served me well all last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided against an RV air-conditioner, and carry a spare 5000 BTU window unit in my truck, if the weather forecast for that trip mandates it.

[​IMG]
    dmottv, DCrider, marret and 4 others like this.
  20. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda avoiding the propane on the tongue because of the potential for interference with my swing-away 35" spare tire on the back of my van. I have to remove the spare from my van when towing the TT to clear the dual 7gal propane tanks on the tongue when turning sharp. The 6x10 gets drug around a lot worse forest/desert roads so I need all the clearance for turning that I can get. I also like that I can currently open the back doors of the van all the way while the 6x10 is connected, that lets us unload bikes from the van without having to unhook, I just have to park jack knifed while loading/unloading, but it's not a hassle at all. I do have a hose and bulk tank adapter, it's just a matter of determining how small of a tank I can get away with, and finding the least in-the-way place to mount it.

That sink/pump/tank setup is about what I had in mind. Sounds like it's proven to be a step up from a jug of water and a wash tub.

Air conditioning isn't on my list. In fact, I have used the AC in our TT exactly zero times in the 10 years or so we've had it, and we camp in 100-110° in the summer. I'm anti-generator too, so that doesn't help the AC's case. Dry camping only, and so far, always way out in the boonies, so hook ups are non existant.

Another thing I've questioned is our food storage during hot weather. We lost all our ice in 3 days in 107° this summer and ended up leaving a night early because of it (and the unexpected family we ended up providing food and drinks for.) We currently use a Coleman 5 day Xtreme cooler with block ice on the bottom and crushed ice over our perishable foods, and another older Coleman cooler exclusively for drinks. I'm thinking about switching the older cooler out for an Rtic 65 or similar.

I think the last thing on our want list is an awning. There's a bazillian to choose from, I don't necessarily want the cheapest thing out there, but I certainly can't justify the cost of the nicer auto retracting units. I've seen several homebuilt awning that looked decent enough, but I think I'd rather buy a premade one with quick setup... that doesn't look like I built it! Maybe a 10' bag awning of some sort, or even a batwing type might be nice.
    villageidiot likes this.