The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe a tongue extension and a multi direction pivoting hitch would be a good addition as well.
  2. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the batwing- mount it on the side of the trailer so when it opens, it shades the rear too- that should give you shaded coverage over both doors (assuming you have a side door). I picked up mine from AutoAnything- mounted it on my truck for shade on the side and rear. Works a treat.

G
  3. keyzard

keyzard Falls over a lot....

Oddometer:
    Our 12v ARB knock-off refrigerator (I forgot the manufacturer, and it's in the camper for its winter hibernation) was a game changer for us. We used to use it instead of our propane fridge in the camper for weekend trips. It's an actual compressor fridge, not a cooler, so it will maintain whatever temp you set it to no matter what the ambient temp is. We usually kept ours at 35F. A single deep cell battery of around 100AH plus a 100 watts of solar will run it indefinitely. Maybe a little more complex than you wanted to get but not having to deal with ice is really nice.
    mbabc, katbeanz and motogoat like this.
  4. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned a Uhaul (Casita like) trailer for years, currently on my 4th camper, however its a class b motorhome. Just saw this and thought it had some nice features, but lackss others . . I also have an enclosed trailer we pull and can camp out of when needed. I do like the thought of the cheap amazon or ebay heaters and or 12volt electric mattress pads for the bed. The only thing better than crawling into a warm bed is having a hot towel after a shower. Yes Im spoiled but, I deserve it! lol. Love the Ideas bantered about on this thread!
  5. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20170819_142637.jpg 20191106_070242.jpg
    I don't know what you are doing for power but i made this a few years ago and i made it portable so i can take it when i tent camp also .its just a deep cycle battery and a 100 watt solar panel. I put a 32" tv in the camp trailer and run it through a 125 watt inverter and can watch tv as long as i want at night. It will also run my home made shower unit
    20191106_070242.jpg .
    Rufjeep, Dryslick, mbabc and 2 others like this.
  6. Dryslick

Dryslick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The battery pack looks like a great setup, with properly set up controls & switching. Could you provide details of what all you’ve got going on there? For us less than electrically literate? Thanks.
    Davidprej likes this.
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of campers have a twin propane tank on the tongue. I was wondering is a dirt bike rail there instead would be perfect.
  8. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok . Its a old ammo box big enough to fit a full size interstate deep cycle battery in. I mounted all of the electronics on a 1/2 " peice of plywood with a thin peice of aluminum glued to it just for looks that i powder coated in silver vein. It has a volt meter, usb ports and 2 12v sockets one inside and one outside on the front of the box next to the + - post so i can use jumper cables if i need to. I put a quick connect for the solar panel on the side of the box.and a 15a circuit breaker in line with the solar controller for protection and i can shut everything off so it has no parasitic draw when im not using it. I plug a 12v 125 watt inverter into one of the power ports then i can plug my camp trailer into the inverter . I've changed all of the lighting in the trailer to led . I can run all of the lights and the tv off of the little inverter at the same time but i only need 1 or 2 lights on at a time.. everything is ran through a fuse block just so i dont start a electrical fire. Before anyone comments its a lead acid battery and the box has vent holes.
    20191226_192605.jpg
    20191226_192437.jpg
    20191002_180417.jpg
    20170827_152030.jpg
    overlander, marret, Hannda and 5 others like this.
  9. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, now that you've explained it in detail, how much for you to make one for us? This is sort of like a tonsillectomy being an easy surgery. Well, it ain't if you aren't a doctor! Very well done, my friend!
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    my quick estimate is theres $300 ish just in parts, nevermind the can, or the labor, powdercoat etc.
    HapHazard and coffman300 like this.
  11. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll give him $310. Done and done!
    Hannda, HapHazard and imnothng like this.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    thats about right.
    HapHazard and Davidprej like this.
  13. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around $375. The parts you don't see like 4 gauge battery cables, fuse block .terminal blocks on the battery post . You know $20 bucks here and there. But a fraction of the cost if you price a solar generator on line. I've used this setup for 10 day camping with no issues. I do powder coating for a living so that free and i got the box at a garage sale full of nuts and bolt for 5 bucks. I built the whole thing from amazon minus the battery.
  14. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    oh trust me, i get it!

300ish is 375 all day long!
    HapHazard and nevermind like this.
  15. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The solar setup was over half of it. I used to use it camping for a couple of days the put it on a trickle charger when i got home but you really have to watch how far you run the battery down. And its hard on the battery.
    villageidiot likes this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    So is that $375 including the panel? If so, that’s a bargain.
  17. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes roughly
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went back through my amazon history and added it all up and im in the whole thing including solar kit and it = $420.00 the bulk of it was the battery = $105 solar kit $152 and the Guage panel made by blue sea $70
    Hannda and villageidiot like this.
  19. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
  20. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you catch them at the right time...I bought from Goal Zero directly and saved hundreds. So much so that I really couldn’t have built my own system for my trailer all that much cheaper. Plus, it’s already been pressed into duty to power the fridge in my house during a couple of power outages.

[​IMG]
    garandman and Hannda like this.