The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty in Australia with v6 Commodore (Buick?) Engines and 253/308 Holden v8s.

The v6 is a great conversion to the HiLux
    ferals5 and HapHazard like this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I just seen one for sale here in SW NM the camper truck. But it was a small
  3. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    New company doing the Lil' Snoozy. Calling it the Snoozy II.

4. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weren't those made in CO?
  5. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    website almost as complete as that camper.
    scot_douglas likes this.
  6. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :dunno I don't sell them. I just ran across that video and posted it as I remembered some folks liking the trailers - or at least the video of the original trailer. I'm not aware of anyone here actually buying one.
    gpfan likes this.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Any current/former pop-up tent owners? So I looked at a few used pop-ups this weekend for the first time, liked two of them but nearly all of them had at least some stains/mildew on the canvas even if the canvas was in great condition overall. Question: to prevent the stains/mildew from occurring do you have to dry it out 100% each time before you fold it back up? If yes I don't know if that will be possible for us as we don't have space where we live in the city to store the trailer so we can't bring it home and air it out, 2nd option is store it at our rental that has plenty of space but that would be inconvenient to do after each trip, its 5 miles from our house, so the only other option is to leave it at our land on the river but I don't want to have to wait hours for it dry out before we pack up and go home or what if it's raining when we pack up, I assume I can't just fold it up wet either and leave it that way for weeks. So now I'm thinking that maybe the pop-up route is not the way to go for us at this point in time, we may just have to just stick with tent camping a few more years until we either buy a hard-sided camper or build a small cabin.
  8. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you need to dry the canvas before storing. If it was raining I sometimes did it the next day or two later. If not done, mildew is guaranteed. Consider a hard side popup like an Aliner. Might work better for you.
    ferals5, Hannda, HapHazard and 2 others like this.
  9. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    It will mildew, if put away wet, simply because pollen from trees and grass will land on it and with a little bit of rain or moisture the mildew/fungus will grow. It's all floating around in the air. If you put it away wet or damp, it will stew in the sun inside, causing yuck.

The truth is even if you have a hard side travel trailer, you will STILL get mild/mildew growth and staining on the trailer, usually along the sides, but it will be much slower. If the trailer has an awning, the same is true, must be dried out before retracting the awning.

I made ONE lazy mistake back in late 2018 from a camping trip, and because it was lightly raining when I left my site to go home, I did not remember to air out the awning at home. The following spring 2019 when I de-winterized the trailer in May, there were leaves and pine needles and some mildew on the bottom of the canopy (white). The stains left behind were a beotch to remove, lots of elbow grease, simple green, vinyl cleaner, and 10% bleach and water solution to get rid of most of the stains. Never again have I delayed drying out the awning. I do it as soon as the weather is dry, and I always check for leaves as I retract at the site, keeping a broom in hand to knock them off before leaving the site.

A pop up requires the same care as an awning. If a used pop up only has mildew staining, it should be a matter of a couple hours of labor to remove and stains. It's far worse if the pop up cover/canvas is dry and split, it needs to be replaced.
    Hannda and DCrider like this.
  10. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jersey and ToolmanJohn, you guys are confirming what I thought would be the case based on my research. Damn I was kind of excited about trying out a pop-up plus an inmate in MA has a really well kept one at a good price that I've been considering.
    Hannda and JerseyBiker like this.
  11. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I had pop up campers for years. I never thought it was a big deal to open it up at home after camping to dry it out. I’d open it up, dry it, clean up from camping and get it ready for the next trip. That way I was ready to go at a moment’s notice.
  12. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    Usually people get a little older and want to get off the ground and out of the weather when they start thinking about trailers. As soon as tent campers stray into travel trailers, maintenance goes up, that's just the way it is. Axles, tires, brakes, couplers, maybe batteries, propane, holding tanks, the list gets extensive depending on how many creature comforts come with the camper trailer.

I remember my first SUV camping overnight experience. IT SUCKED, worst night of sleep, and the weather was actually nice, but I was cramped and unprepared, and had to get up several times (drinking with buds) for the campground terlet (uhhh...bushes).

I later on tried two nights of tent camping in mid October and the temps dropped to low 30's (Vermont). Oh gawd I nearly had hypothermia, I was shivering and teeth chattering all night, had the right sleeping bag, wool hat, two air pads, all clothes on wool socks, and I was miserable and stiff and actually in pain. I don't believe I slept an hour those two nights combined, I was SO glad to go home! Haven't slept in a tent since. I know my own limits now. I'll take a bit of pre-trip maintenance and camper storage in exchange for a good night sleep out of the weather off the ground (rain/cold), creature comforts (furnace!-fridge-toilet-shower-storage), so I can have a great day of trail riding (either motorcycle or MTB riding).
    ridenm, Bt10, CJames0587 and 2 others like this.
  13. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A pop-up will get wet on the inside from condensation, and this will cause mildew. This was a never ending battle for us here in the moist PNW. Even if it doesn't rain on you, you still need to dry it out before storing.
    DCrider, Bigbob1 and JerseyBiker like this.
  14. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad we could help you through the decision making process.
    DCrider likes this.
  15. DCrider

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with doing the maintenance aspect it's just that we live in the heart of DC so I don't have a driveway/safe spot to leave it opened up for a few days after a camping trip.
  16. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    That would certainly be problematic. I think I saw someone else suggest the Aliner style hard sided pop ups. That might be an option to consider.
    Hannda and DCrider like this.
  17. Centerlane

Centerlane Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ] D3361F92-3D4C-4E31-B817-2B6231D3AD8E.jpeg 1650 lbs E79FAD25-3B47-4DAF-9021-2D3E1C8D3834.jpeg
    Toto, ferals5, Sledred and 8 others like this.
  18. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long is the truck's bed? Appears to be longer than average.

Nice looking rig!
  19. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just a little! :lol3
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  20. blackripley

blackripley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all depends on the pop-up I have a hard-sided a-frame style pop-up so no canvas issues. We do let it air out after a weekend of camping once we get home and wipe everything down before storing it. But you will want to clean and wipe down any RV before storage no matter what you end up with.
    I have this
    [​IMG]

here are some others to look at
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]