The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be all for them to the Long Way Back Round, from NY to London, retracing their steps. It would be cool to see what condition the Road of Bones is in these days. And imagine the fun they would have in eastern Ukraine now with the war going on...
  2. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    High profile people doing movies or other works for distribution/sale to the public rely on sponsors that provide merchandise. If they chose not to do that then whatever they did use that got promoted thru use would give an appearance of favoritism. Not something they want their name tied to. Thru sponsorship they benefit by not technically endorsing a product with their own cash, and the sponsor benefits thru free advertising or their product and their generosity.

The big winner in these movies was not the actors who got frees stuff, it was UNICEF who got the lions share of the money after overhead was paid.

Saying they can afford to buy it and it is self serving is short sighted. It is how the hollywood game works. See that apple macbook air on the "tonight show", it was free, but the logo reaches millions of viewers each night.
  3. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure he busts his balls in his chosen profession, one in which he is the product and trades his fame and personality in business deals to star in movies and promote various products that he is willing to endorse. It's a business deal. You offer your skills in trade for money and benefits, when you went looking for a job you were asking for something for nothing in some respects because you were unknown to whatever company you work for or clients you went to offering your product. BMW took a risk that equated to maybe $100k - $200k and reaped millions in sales, enduring advertisement and brand development that they couldn't have bought for any sum. How many people now equate adventure riding to BMW GSA? I can only imagine the contract that BMW's lawyers drew up that encumbered Charlier and Ewan in many ways, what they could say, couldn't say or show on the cameras and for how long and for what future series they may do.
  4. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only point is here that kinda trip they did 95% of riders on this forum would do without a problem. With this money and sponsorship, free bikes and support crew? not a big deal really. Definitely not as big accomplishment as guys who did in Terra Circa movie.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Yeah, I'd love to be in Ewan's position, money-wise (who wouldn't?) Whether he buys his own bike for the next trip is clearly not a deciding factor in whether he does it sooner, later or not at all.

I agree that the support trucks made it a different sort of trip from a couple of guys on bikes roughing it across the globe. So what? It made the planning/logisitcs much more complex and enabled the filming at a standard no other RTW trip has managed. Don't forget, when the original LWR was filmed, the option of just strapping on a couple of GoPros to get transmission-quality footage didn't exist.

If there is ever a "Long Way Up", I predict it will be planned and filmed in semi-secret. Otherwise it would become a massive group ride, like the last part of LWD.
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK sure, anyone can be an actor. It doesn't require good looks, talent or sex appeal. Boy have I been missing out!:lol3
  7. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:

hmm, I don't think Ewan and Charley are good looking to be honest. Personally I would not sleep with either of them...
  8. parkinsonsd

parkinsonsd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well keep working on it. Maybe you'll come around.
  9. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they're both just devastated by this news.
  10. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charlie's wife is hot.
  11. BorisRoberts

BorisRoberts Banned

Oddometer:
    Wrong. 80% of the people posting here do not ride. They might be able to tell you which tires work best (even though they've never used them, they read about it) to use, all the reasons to use a 21 over a 19, or a 19 over a 21, who makes what guard for what bike, but they have never done it, they read about it here.
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? Have you polled the posters to know who actually rides? Or did you determine this by reading Ride Reports?

Inquiring minds want to know how you came up with your statistics.
  13. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, is that bad here??? only posers? :huh :D
    Although I see some posts on Ride Reports section :ricky
  14. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    It's true.

[​IMG]
  15. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    OK read the thread, got it, they shouldn't take cameras, they shouldn't have support, they should buy their own bikes. Problem being then this thread wouldn't exist because the show wouldn't and we'd be maybe reading about them in ride reports like they have time for that.

Even though this site is one of the very best 'social media' sites, it still gets stupid sometimes.
  16. rotarywing

rotarywing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charlie preferred KTM, Ewan did not.
  17. rotarywing

rotarywing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So when are we going?
  18. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess you guys never seen hot biker's wife before...

[​IMG]
  19. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    fixed.
  20. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    This may be the first time in my life....I am in the top 20%.:clap