The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Langolier

Langolier Cycleologist

Oddometer:
    Please read below this line, thank you ......
  2. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    Why in the world would non-riders be on this site or memorize bike facts? There are much more interesting things on the internet. Sure, there's a few who join when they get interested in bikes, but they are pretty easy to spot, as they are usually starting threads about what bike to start with and asking for advice about the MSF class.
  3. BorisRoberts

BorisRoberts Banned

Oddometer:
    Actually, I, and most of the others, can tell because of some of the responses. More than a few times, I've seen replies to questions, where someone gives advice to someone else, based on the fact that in 1973, they owned a Kawasaki F3. Or their uncle owned a Triumph when he lived in England in the 60s , never mind that they don't own, and never have owned, the bike they are giving advice on.

And that 80% number is out of thin air. It might be higher than that.

I recall a post about the guy that couldn't get his BMW out of the woods because of a muddy slope or something, and someone seriously suggested hoofing a different tire in and busting it on. How about, getting someone that knew how to ride, to get it out?

Anyway, there are a lot of signs that are very evident that many people here don't ride. But you know that, you're just being argumentative
  4. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thoroughly enjoyed LWR and anxiously waited for each new episode. I bought the DVD, the book was a gift, and I also watched LWD and have the DVD. I think they did a pretty good job representing the challenges and even failings like the struggle with river crossings, deep sand, weather etc. I like motorcycle travel shows. If more are aired, I'll watch them.

I hope Ewan and Charlie do more trips and document them as well. I'd prefer that exposure rather than SOA, Wild Hogs, or Waco news representing motorcycle riders. I'm always amazed at these arguments that it wasn't a real adventure ride. I'm a motorcycle rider and I don't even own a bandana.
  5. BorisRoberts

BorisRoberts Banned

Oddometer:
    Because people want to appear to be, what they consider cool. Just like the Sons of Anarchy/chopper thing, where many, many people want to appear to be a bad ass biker, but aren't. Or white boy wannabe gangsters. The ADV thing is a fad. And people follow fads.

Here's an example, me. In the late 60s, early 70s, I wanted to be a surfer, after having been a skateboarder for a long time. I bought the mags. I knew the lingo. I knew what shapes did what, I knew what wetsuit I wanted, I knew absolutely what I wanted to get. Then I saw Jaws. Fuck surfing. Bought a CT70 in 1970, and haven't stopped since.
  6. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
  7. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I myself am not a rider, just a wannabe. I have been open about that from the start on here though. When my kids are a bit bigger I might try to make it a reality then, but for now I can only fantasise and lurk on ride trip threads.
  8. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should make a distinction between "people who don't ride" and "people who aren't good at giving advice on internet forums."

I would agree that there are a percentage of each on this forum (though I might argue about the 80% number) but I do think they are distinct populations, and you're seeing symptoms of the latter but labeling those members as the former.
  9. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    This explains some of the lame threads you've started, then never post in again. You don't actually ride. Much. :clap
  10. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    There is no denying the poser factor in motorcycling.
  11. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:

Correction: motorycycling.
  12. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    And when you look at a fortysomething mechanical engineer in a one-piece day-glo Aerostitch, you thank god for that posing.
  13. leftfield6

leftfield6 That is Mattie in the pic, was the best dog ever Supporter

Oddometer:
    See, the thing about really broad, sweeping statements is that they are almost always wrong.

See what I did there?

I doubt that 80% of people on here are "posers" simply becaue, as someone already mentioned, if I'm going waste my time whacking off on the internet, there are far more interesting sites than this one to be on. I mean, I know we all think we are cool, but we aren't THAT cool.

Rather than talk about posers, lets be accurate with what we are talking about. I suspect this site has a relatively low percentage of "super hardcore" ADV riders. You know the ones that log huge miles doing shit like crossing Africa or the like.

Then there is likely a number of "i ADV as much as I can, but it's not as much as I would like" riders. There are the guys/girls who, a few times a year, go off and do a major ride.

Then there is another, I'll bet the majority, group, of which I myself am a member, of riders who "do, but on a very limited basis". About once a year, I get away for a little ADV. Last year, it was a one week ride from GA to Key West and back, staying off the superslab the entire time. This was on my old Ducati ST2. Prior to that it was a trip to the Outer Banks of NC to play on my KLR250. That was a trailer the bike there and play offroad trip. This year I'm planning a ride to Big Bend National Park in Texas in the fall on my new to me BMW K1100RS.

Then are the "I'm really really going to be buying a bike soon, and I'm here researching and learning. We should welcome those people, and help them see that motorcyclists, by and large, are good folks.

To me, none of the above are posers. I hate that word. It comes off as smug and elitist.

I will admit, there is a small percentage of people on here who try to come across as more knowledgeable than they are. You know why? 'Cause that is exactly what the real world is made up of. 90% plus decent people, and a small percentage of people who seem to stand out because of their behavior. We just tend to notice the 10% more, so it seems like there are more of them.
  14. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Poser.
  15. leftfield6

leftfield6 That is Mattie in the pic, was the best dog ever Supporter

Oddometer:

:kumbaya
  16. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    :d
  17. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a poser

[​IMG]
  18. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
  19. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Hey, C-Stain...you're posing.
  20. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was the cruiser on the Dragon, wasn't it?