The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many web stories have u seen about scooter rallies or travel on a little T-dub. Great stories all of them.
    I watch Cafe racer and would guess there are more dual-sport or adventure riders than cafe builders.
  2. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    :stupid It's on the internet so it must be true, right? Maybe the authors of that FACEBOOK PAGE (hardly a reputable source of verified facts) simply read one of the other two dodgy news reports we've seen recently. Next thing someone will be quoting YOU as their source of information: A guy on ADVRider said "It's on!" so it must be true :baldy
  4. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One would think / hope that Ewan or some of his associates in the LWR team would visit this forum from time to time to check out the vibe and maybe make some kind of comment to dispel / allay / inform one way or another... a forlorn expectation, most likely though.
  5. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
  6. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    I always thought you were the incognito Ewan.
  7. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I merely look a bit like him. Same age, born same year... but nope, not the same bloke.
  8. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll see your stalker-esque picture with Charley's wife and raise you this:

[​IMG]
  9. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    You win!
  10. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It was in 2012, I had to cross over on the ferry from Ireland for two days in Edinburgh on business and took the opportunity to squeeze in a quick drive up to Perthshire. I still haven't visited Annamoe where Charley grew up, though, despite it being a 90 minute or so drive from where I live.
  11. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad, to see on Charley Boorman's site that he is now offering the chance to ride with him in S America next year, meaning... he can hold off no longer and Ewan plainly has no interest in a third Long Way series, preferring instead to make progressive liberal tripe movies. I'm sure all the "hardcore" bikers out there won't care, but for a fan of the series (like me), it's a disappointment.
  12. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It would be cool to ride South America with Charlie, but those trips are expensive. 16 days is $6800, $7400 if Charlie goes along. I'll just wait until he makes it to California and buy him a beer.
  13. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
  14. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Spoken like a true fan of film
  15. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    There's an $1800 premium to have Charley Boorman and Russ Malkin along on your trip over the regular tour.
    http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycl...cle-tour/8-day-baja-dual-sport-adventure-tour

Now, I enjoyed LWR and LWD as much as anyone, but I'm not such a fan of either of them that I'd pay $1800 to be able to rent them as a travel companion for a week.

Just think if the fun I could have on my own bike for $1800, let alone $4500. I could go on a hell of an adventure for $4500.
  16. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    yyeaaaahhh.... thats pretty well said.

:thumb
    BryceB likes this.
  17. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan, but not THAT much of a fan.
  18. Irkutsk

Irkutsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Charley has built a business on the back of LWR & LWD, which I don't begrudge him at all. All I really wanted to hear from either him or Ewan was one of two things: Yes, we are definitely doing LWU or No, we will never do it. The fact that they could never openly be that specific about over the past 5 years has been a constant annoyance.
  19. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    If they did part of the route in US and Canada, I can see keeping quiet about it so it didn't turn into a parade, so maybe do TDF to LA or San Diego. But let the fans know if it's going to happen. If they are never going to do it, fine, but just say it's not going to happen.

I think it's safe to say it's not going to happen though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  20. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Probably. But LWR was on again today while I was in the garage, and I did hear Ewan utter, "Don't say that. Never say 'never'."

But probably not.