The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's likely to happen, but I understand if they're not definitive about it. It's life. I'd assume they'd still like to do it, but things keep getting pushed back by kids, work, whatever. I honestly can't say that I will never do (insert random adventure here). I can just estimate how likely or unlikely it is to happen.
  2. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, I think they thought LWR was their one big shot. Boom or Bust, go all in and have an adventure.

Well, then it worked! People liked it and it sold (unlike Mondo Enduro which is hard to even purchase). So, they did up LWD and made it more of a family thing.

Seems like it fell short. Nobody seemed 100% happy. I still enjoyed both but I can understand if they wait until retirement age to do another big trip.

Less pressure for deadlines.
    Less worry about family once the kids are grown.
    Less worry about mortality since they hopefully have a nice long run.
    Less worry about finances (if you make ten million a year and take half a year off for a trip, that trip essentially cost you 5 mil).

Just my unrequested opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edge2edge likes this.
  3. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    I would love to see another episode in the Long Way Series, whether it's up, down or sideways! Anything motorcycle related is better than some of the crap on TV lately. I suspect that time/money/market demographics all have had an impact upon why the 3rd rendition has not taken place. In November I was with Neale Bayly and Chris Scranton during a program pitch to MavTV, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/trippin-on-two-wheels-on-mavtv.1115244/ and learned quite a bit about two wheeled content as they successfully pitched Trippin with potentially more to come.

It would be nice to see more ADV related programs, heck even touring programs, but the reality is there is not enough viewers to support such programming. Which is sad really, because the two wheeled community as a whole are an inventive bunch. What is amazing to me is there are motorcyclists who can put together quality content, why has it not been done? It all comes back to numbers...race on Sunday, sell on Monday has worked well for all the manufacturers, and LWD/LWR despite peoples views HAS opened the ADV motorcycle market wide open. Other than racing there is little content...until we begin to support what is there, the people spending money (working with sponsors) producing pilot programs will not get a chance to get their program on the air.

I would just like to see something motorcycle related weekly or even on a regular basis, although there is some content on Youtube, for me it just does not cut it.

At the end of the day I hope the LWR/LWD people are watching this site and put something together...
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad someone else realizes that life sometimes gets in the way of dreams.
    I would think they still have another 20 years or so of riding before hanging up the helmets. Give them a few years to get the kids out the door and I am sure they will be back to it.
    edge2edge and SilkMoneyLove like this.
  5. mohjhoryder

mohjhoryder Just groovy thanks

Oddometer:
    Id like to see a reality show that follows all kinds of bikers highlighting their characters, rides, bikes and attitudes all over the world. Kind of a food travel show format with a motorcycle celebrity leading the search. LWA showed a market for this kind of format and Vimeo has a bunch of examples of biker portrayals.
    edge2edge likes this.
  6. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    True, and as a result ADV style motorcycles have grabbed a larger share of the new sales market. In terms of TV it has been done, and online it is done to death. There are thousands of people travelling the globe on motorcycles now, and many with their own YouTube channels, vimeo, you name it, none on TV that I am aware of. What we want and what makes it to TV are two different things, and to film a professional pilot suitable for TV is no small feat. Getting TV networks, manufacturers, sponsors, etc even harder. The motorcycle community is small and then break that down further into ADV, cruisers, cafe racers, sportbikes, and the numbers become way too small to support a program.

I do agree, looking at it by adding food, or something else that appeals to a wider audience might be the answer. Maybe an A-lister along, who knows. IMHO if we can get a productive dialogue going, there are enough talented people who ride motorcycles that could/would step up to the plate to move our sport forward....Am I out to lunch on that, dunno, but I want to see if we can get something rolling!
  7. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    not sure that I agree.
    We are a small group, yes. But there is a lot of interest in motorcycles. Look at the number of people who watched LWA, or a worse example would be the fascination with some white trash bolt on builder shows that were popular a decade ago.

Done with a real crew and not just shot with go-pro I think it would work.
  8. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    I understand what your saying, the reality of it is the LWA/LWD had a Hollywood A-lister, a B or C list actor, and comprehensive support crew. The story was the important part, the interactions between Ewan and Charely and the crew, the bikes are secondary really, although the breakdowns and crashes did add drama. Suffice to say if what you say is true then why are there not more motorcycle related programs on TV?

The information I speak of is directly from a network with a 31 million viewership. Although I am by no means an expert, what I have heard with my own ears made sense, especially the math...

Whether we agree with that or not is irrelevant it is the networks that decide what is broadcasted...the proof is how many motorcycle related programs that are on TV...not many on Motorsports related networks, and virtually none in the mainstream networks.

My position is simple, we can change that by showing support and solidarity...
  9. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
  10. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    Cool links thanks for sharing, I bookmarked them! I agree, online programming is becoming more popular for sure. Tons of good stuff on the net, makes one wonder why none of it has made it to mainstream TV...
  11. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    Today, in London:

[​IMG]
    edge2edge, TexasAggie2008 and Y E T I like this.
  13. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    What are they up to!?
  14. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    Looks like lunch. AND INSTAGRAM.
  15. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good start if they have the crew together.
  16. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Something Curry based....
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Glad to see Charlie up and smiling after his crash.
    edge2edge likes this.
  18. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A ride followed by a LW movie every few years would be spaced enough to draw fans back in. And close enough to retain familiarity with the brand for casual travel, motorcycle, and adventure fans.
  19. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to youtube and search for "Henry Cole Motorcycle" and you will get all kinds of stuff. Foxtel show his series about Motorcycles on a regular basis here on Australia.
  20. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I enjoy the LWR series, but it always seems like they are totally exhausted. Why not slacken the pace just a tad so they don't get burnt out? It makes it seem more like a timed, high speed endurance / marathon than a road trip.
    Other than that, a great ambassador / goodwill type gesture for motorcycling.:thumb