The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Firstly they were on a tight schedule (presumably due to Ewan's movie commitments); then, if they had an easy day, they might push on a bit later or harder - pretty sure I would; and finally, even if they had an easy day, that would not have made for interesting and captivating TV. If nothing went wrong, being tired is probably the most dramatic thing you could make from a day.
  2. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:

I could easily think of many things more interesting than watching someone "being tired". Hell... I'm tired! :snore

• More time spent on interesting sites they've come across.
    • Some bits about the local history
    • Some tips or glances into what the best equipment is for a trip like this.
    • Maybe some insights around local food, drink, customs, etc.
    • Some tips on how they maintain their bikes while on a long road trip
    • And so on...
    IMO, the most dramatic thing you could make from a day would be totally enjoying yourself, and sharing that with others. :thumb:beer
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Given Ewan's propensity for Guzzi's, Charlie's push for KTMs and their excitement at opening up the tons of tools they were given, they are both clearly gearheads. I therefore thought we were going to get into a lot more of the technical stuff as well. Personally, I think a LOT of their potential audience would have enjoyed that but the producers clearly thought otherwise and the most technical thing we heard about was the half-explanation as to how Claudio's bike got damaged by the welder.
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I have two of their books - Long way Down, and LW Round, and IMO they are better than the flics for the reasons we just stated. Not a ton of tech stuff, but some, and more narrative. As you said, maybe the producers have a different perspective, i.e., they know what sells(?). Explains why I'm not a producer of bike movies. :lol3
  5. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think what they did do right the last two times was to show the local culture. One of my favorite things about traveling or watching traveling shows is seeing how daily life is for the local people.

These movies, documentaries, travelogues give the observer like glimpses into the life in places that I'll never live. One example of this I recently watched was Somewhere Else Tomorrow by Daniel Rintz.
  6. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to see another LW/Whatever series. I enjoyed both quite a lot and know many others outside of the motorcycling community as well. A few years back I was camping in the backyard at a friends cottage, dinner came, the neighbours came by and the discussion turned to travel and low and behold they brought up Long Way Round. None of them bikers, but all great fans of the series and loved following their adventures.
  7. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished rewatching LWR last night for the first time in ages (maybe more than 5 years). Frankly, part of the reason why I find LWR more entertaining than LWD is because they weren't as competent (Ewan's off road skills, overpacking, etc.). I'll bet even during LWR, they had tons of footage of things going smoothly, but that doesn't exactly make for entertaining viewing. I have to chalk it up to the two for including a lot of footage that showed them in a less than flattering light.
    SilkMoneyLove likes this.
  8. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    I just read this whole thread at work this morning, I now think I have Ebola from stepping in some bad lube...

But really I love LWR and would watch a 3rd installment if it ever happens.
  9. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure LWU isn't happening anytime soon, but it's fun to fantasize what bikes they'll bring if, hypothetically they do it this year. Charley's got a deal with Triumph. Last I heard, Ewan had a deal with Moto Guzzi. Since KTM is currently sells more bikes than BMW, it'd be interesting if they decided to supply bikes this time around. Personally though, it'd be a good laugh if the two used Honda Cubs for their next trip. Charley seemed pretty impressed with the Cub when it was voted the world's greatest motorcycle on a Discovery channel show (skip to around 2:30).

rubline likes this.